Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Wait, is HOME out of Beta?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

For those of you who care, something interesting seems to have happened to playstation home. Theres a new update, and after installing the said update, you are greated with a fancy new opening logo that, wait for it, dosent have the little Beta sign next to it. It just says Playstation Home. those who sued home know there was always a little beta tag next to it, but not anymore. although they do say in the message of the day and new terms of use "Welcome Playstation Home Open Beta" WTF was I using before? the non open beta? Anyway, you than greated with a n ice, sleek navigation screen, something completely different than what happened before (it would automaticaly drop you in your last area without going to any navigation menu). While most of you probaly dont care, this seems like a big thing for people who do use Home (which is alot of people). So if they really are out of beta, its kinda neat. since they been in beta for, like, a year now. Also, Apprently hating on HOME is the "Cool" thing to do.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

Well, good for them.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By emkeighcameron

april fool's joke? I dunno.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

It's not the cool thing to do, it's the sane thing to do, surely.

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RoujinX

I'd still rather play Animal Crossing.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword
    @Ineedaname:

Its really not as bad as people make ti out to be. im not saying its great, im just saying its not as bad as people say it is. From what people say, youd figure it killed their kid or something.
    itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By itsmadness

I don't necessarily hate home, just totally apathetic to it. I guess good on people who use home? who are those people?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword
    @itsmadness:

Actually alot of people use it. and buy stuff, so its a money maker for Sony.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Raven_Sword: It just seems pointless, the idea of someone booting up their PS3 to go into Home is mind boggling, it makes my brain need an expansion pack to comprehend it (Man that video was terrible)
    And even if you just log in for 5 minutes, is there really anything worth doing?
    itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By itsmadness
    @Raven_Sword: Yeah, I know at least for sony home is working out for them, since it costs next to nothing to sell the stuff they have in home. I just can't ever see using it myself
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ravensword
    @Ineedaname:

Ill be honest, the only thing I use it for is the movie theater, and that thing dosent update that frequently with new stuff. Im jsut saying its kidna dumb to say that no one uses it 9not saying you did, but alot of peopel do)
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By animateria

Made a female and male avatar to mess around with the character customization.

I usually roll with my guy character since I'm a guy, but choosing the chick...

I got a lot of creepy hit ons... Ran back to my room as fast as possible and changed back to my bro.

How do you do it female users?

Or are all of them attention whores that try to make up for what they can't get in real life?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ravensword

I do feel bad that if it is out of beta, that atleast someone shoudl make some kind of big deal about it. I mean, its PS HOME! its out of Beta! lol-+
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @Ineedaname: Its really not as bad as people make ti out to be. im not saying its great, im just saying its not as bad as people say it is. From what people say, youd figure it killed their kid or something. "
    That's absolutely true. The service has grown so much over the past 12 months. Sadly, people still think it's like their first impression.

I have no desire to use Home, but I can appreciate how much better it has gotten. I love that Buzz! Quiz Room.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ghostiet
    @animateria said:
    " Made a female and male avatar to mess around with the character customization.  I usually roll with my guy character since I'm a guy, but choosing the chick...  I got a lot of creepy hit ons... Ran back to my room as fast as possible and changed back to my bro.   How do you do it female users?  Or are all of them attention whores that try to make up for what they can't get in real life? "

Man, you never played an MMO, did you? This is common.
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shotaro

I downloaded it and played the beta for 5 minutes, after realising I couldn't make an avatar even REMOTELY look how I wanted it to.  The micro-transaction hell that I was about to enter was so painfully obvious I ran and ran as fast and as far as I could.

@Ghostiet said:

" @animateria said:
    " Made a female and male avatar to mess around with the character customization.  I usually roll with my guy character since I'm a guy, but choosing the chick...  I got a lot of creepy hit ons... Ran back to my room as fast as possible and changed back to my bro.   How do you do it female users?  Or are all of them attention whores that try to make up for what they can't get in real life? "
    Man, you never played an MMO, did you? This is common. "
    Painfully so, am male but have had a mix of male and female avatars in MMOs, the results are... creepy is a good start but far from the end of the story! I got an in-game mail from an officer in my guild once (just after I joined) that was a link to a picture of his man-chicken.... t'was an awkward and humiliating conversation for him in guild chat afterwards.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Ghostiet said:
    " @animateria said:
    I actually don't see it happen that often in the MMOs that I used to play (Aion, WoW) mainly because guys made there avatars girls and admitted to it. 

Maybe I was just lucky?
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shotaro
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Ghostiet said:
    " @animateria said:
    I actually don't see it happen that often in the MMOs that I used to play (Aion, WoW) mainly because guys made there avatars girls and admitted to it.  Maybe I was just lucky? "
    I wasn't exactly hiding it, some people are just morons, most dudes who make female avatars just reply with "GTFO I'm a man IRL"
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ravensword

I actually usually create a Female character in MMOs and RPGs. I created a Female Dranei Shaman in wow, and is my main. I did that because I really like how the Female Draneis look, espeacilly compared to the males. So, I thought it would be kinda funny to make a Female Avatar for home. i walked into the mall, and got hit on by like 5 guys. it was kinda uncomfortable, so i switched to my male right then and there in front of them, which raised questions by them. it was rather funny actually.
    N3onThr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By N3onThr33
    @RoujinX said:
    " I'd still rather play Animal Crossing. "
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @itsmadness said:
    "   I don't necessarily hate home, just totally apathetic to it. I guess good on people who use home? who are those people? "
    The ones who crowd around female avatars and say lude things? 
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By StaticFalconar

I would totally use Home more except for the fact that I normally turn my PS3 on, and either check whos online (to influence what game I play), or just start my game. Yeah it would be cool to see my friends avators and stuff but if its not required, I rather go the faster route from XMB

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ravensword

see, I do wonder if Home would be better if it would just automaitcally sign you into it when you start your console. Many may hate this idea, but It could lead to Home being the "PS gamer destination" that SONY wants it to be. Imagine if your partment became your main Dashboard? want to listen to your music collection? walk over to your HOME stereo. want to view photos? walk over to your Apartment picture viewer. want to watch your videos? turn on your HOME TV. of course, tehy would still have teh XMB dashboard that you could access if you really want to, but I think it would a cool new way to do things if they did it this way. In fact, I got a cool idea on how to do that: if you want to access the reagular old XMB dahsboard, go to you little mini PS3 you have in yoru apartment, click on it, and that will take you to your regular XMB dash that we see today. and you can work it like the one we have today. from ehre, you can access your downloaded games and boot up your disc game you have in your drive.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " see, I do wonder if Home would be better if it would just automaitcally sign you into it when you start your console. Many may hate this idea, but It could lead to Home being the "PS gamer destination" that SONY wants it to be. Imagine if your partment became your main Dashboard? want to listen to your music collection? walk over to your HOME stereo. want to view photos? walk over to your Apartment picture viewer. want to watch your videos? turn on your HOME TV. of course, tehy would still have teh XMB dashboard that you could access if you really want to, but I think it would a cool new way to do things if they did it this way. In fact, I got a cool idea on how to do that: if you want to access the reagular old XMB dahsboard, go to you little mini PS3 you have in yoru apartment, click on it, and that will take you to your regular XMB dash that we see today. and you can work it like the one we have today. from ehre, you can access your downloaded games and boot up your disc game you have in your drive. "
    That sounds horrible. Personally, I think Home's shit and I don't want to have to deal with it at all. To be forced to have to use it like that? Yeah, I'm good.  

Why does it matter anyway? Like you say many hate Home (rightfully so) but vice versa I imagine a lot like it. So why not continue to just boot it up when you want to go on it rather than force others who think the idea of Home is hilarious in general to have to use it.  Surely it's not that hard to do so. 
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By iamjohn
    @Ineedaname said:
    " It's not the cool thing to do, it's the sane thing to do, surely. "
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ravensword
    @Hitchenson:

Still dont understand why people hate it so much.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By JJOR64

People still care about Home?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ravensword
    @JJOR64:

this is the problem, people think no one uses it, when in fact millions of peopel do. People automatically assume its a failure, which is sad.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Raven_Sword: Because it's utterly useless. They're showing a stream? I'll watch it on my PC. They're selling fake clothes? I'll buy them in real life. They're... doing something else? I'll do the counterpart to this also. It serves no purpose, at least in The Sims and Animal Crossing you're playing a game. Home's just... pointless to me. 
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ravensword
    @Hitchenson:

It really no different than buying the overpriced clothes and items for MS avatars. But I guess I can see where your coming from. Its just people should repect that alot of people like the service.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Raven_Sword: And I do. I'm not saying that Sony should delete this dead service right now because it's utterly useless. I'm just saying that I don't see any of the appeal myself but I understand a lot of others do.  

(Weird, it didn't notify me either time you responded to my comments).
    Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scullinator

Whenever anyone mentions Home I think of that "sim city" thing from the movie Gamer.  Only its not as cool.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I'm personally still waiting for home to be what it was promised the all around inclusive center for all things ps3 game launching, game lobbies, game chats, the OS it self really, IT was supposed to be where we went when we went to talk to friends and chat it up, and play a game together a PS3 game and look at each other trophies and all that stuff.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

lol i thought it was still in beta. i never touched it since i got my ps3 when the price dropped. it just seems kind of there.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By sopranosfan

I own a PS3 actually I am waiting on a download as I type but I have never even been on Home.  What exactly do you do?

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    Nothing.
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By CoolDrMoney
    @RoujinX said:
    " I'd still rather play Animal Crossing. "
    This usually rings true for a lot of things
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ninjakiller

I've logged into home maybe four or five times.  The first time I was curious, and the subsequent to dl the content that certain games give out to use in home.  I dl it, look around for a few minutes, then log out.  There's just nothing to do there, other than playing pool, but I can do that on Yahoo, and Yahoo does it better.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By MikeinSC
    How much did Sony waste on Home? It's one of the most useless things any console has had in a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.