Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Changes to PS+ for PS4

YapaPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So posting this as a fyi for people. Not sure how many people have seen it. Basically auto-updates and social features are not behind the paywall anymore (which I actually didn't expect cause I thought Sony wanted more people to pay). I may actually buy a console this generation.

"If you choose not to subscribe we are still gating relatively little in many senses, so access to online catch-up TV and online movie services sit outside of the gate, for example. The social features of PS4 and PS4 games sit out of the subscription service... things like auto-updates on PS4 sit outside of PlayStation Plus, so we're trying to be as balanced and as fair as we possibly can. If you choose to pay the subscription, yes, you get one important element of modern-day gameplay, but you also get fantastic value in games, including the PlayStation Plus Edition of DriveClub."

Full article: http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony_details_ps4_playstation_plus_changes.html

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

As an almost 2 year subscriber to PS+, my PS3/Vita library is several times in magnitude larger than what would be if I wasn't thanks to the free games every month. If Sony keeps that up on the PS4 and also beefs up on the online multiplayer on the back end like they have said they will as part of this change, I see absolutely no problem continuing to pay $50/$60 a year for the service.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

well that's a little better than current. Right now on PS3 auto-updates and cloud saves are part of PS+. They are saying auto-updates at least for the PS4 won't be behind the PS+ subscription.

I just bought into PS+ last week. It's pretty great. XCom and Uncharted 3 along with some smaller PSN games to check out. The downloads took forever but hey, that's fine for a cost of free.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I actually look forward to PS+ on ps4, the amount of free and discounted content that will come out will be awesome. I'll be more than happy to broaden my horizon's on video games due to this service.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Social features weren't behind a paywall before that I know of.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

They still aren't.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilzrule27 said:

They still aren't.

I'm aware, original post said "...social features are not behind a paywall anymore..."

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vertrucio

Sony would be wise to make sure people get all the updates in a timely and seamless manner. Keeping every system up to date also helps make sure piracy stays low.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Auto-updating is always something that should have never been placed behind a paywall, so I'm fine with them removing it from Plus. As it is, it has more than enough to justify the continued $50 a year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.