Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

I was considering getting a PS4 at launch, but...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looking over the hardware specs I realized it seems to only support HDMI out, which is a problem for me and my non-working HDMI port on my TV. Before I give up on the idea of getting a PS4 anytime soon and/or actually consider buying a new TV, can anyone confirm this is true and/or that there's no workaround for component input?

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Might be time to get that HDMI port fixed?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zeik

Well it's not an amazing TV or anything as it is, so I feel like investing more money into it is kind of a waste.

I don't know shit about fixing TVs though, so maybe that's cheaper and easier than I would think.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By EquitasInvictus

There are HDMI-to-component converters if you have component cables, but I guess you'd have to wait a bit to find out if any of those converters will work with the PS4.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By joshwent

@zeik Here is the spec sheet that Sony released.

I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like there's a Digital (optical) out as well as HDMI. Not sure if that helps.

You can also just get a component to HDMI converter, but I'd assume there's a loss of quality there. Good luck!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are HDMI-to-component converters if you have component cables, but I guess you'd have to wait a bit to find out if any of those converters will work with the PS4.

Well if they exist now I assume they will be made for the PS4 if nothing else, so that's good to know. Does anybody have experience with them and can confirm they actually work?

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@zeik: I mentioned waiting a bit because I have a converter that I bought for my Dad to use with our living room TV that has a broken port and even though some things like Blu-Ray players convert fine and dandy things like his Kindle Fire don't quite work on that.

They're definitely one-to-one without any weird graphical hitches as far as I've seen when they do work, though! Not like those analog-digital converters I've dealt with in the past to use TVs to display things from a computer back in the day before you could simply use an HDMI between your PC and TV.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zeik

@equitasinvictus: I see, thanks for the info. It makes me feel better at least knowing I might not have to more than double my spending to even play a PS4.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By geirr

You know these exist, right?

No Caption Provided

edit: Oh sorry, I read into it a little more, might need a converter too due to the copyright crap in the HDMI cables. You can buy those too but it might get a little expensive.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FourWude

I was considering buying a PS4 at launch but...

...now I'm gonna buy 2. Because that's how awesome Sony is.

And Micropoop is dead.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Because of the Blu-ray drive on both the PS4 and the Xbox One, they will be encrypted with HDCP which means you'll need a HDMI cable that is capable of transmitting that signal to a device capable of decrypting and then showing it on screen, which in short means... most of those converters won't work. Honestly, if you're looking at going to the next-gen on day 1, it's time to buy a new tv.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know why I'm not getting a PS4 at launch? Because it's going to be AUD$549 at launch. My head almost exploded at that figure.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kkotd: Then I won't be getting one at launch. Buying a TV and PS4 effectively more than doubles the cost of the console, and I don't have that kind of money to spend.

Maybe I'll look into a way to get a multipurpose screen that I can use for playing console games and as monitor for an eventual computer upgrade. But still, once I'm spending that kind of money it makes the idea of buying one way less enticing. Maybe I'll just get a new PC after all. >_>

Rumour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgee: So bullshit, right? And the Xbox One is $600. why does the PS4 deserve an extra $50 markup over the Xbox?

Yoshida mentioned on twitter that the PS4 is region free so i think I'm gonna try go about importing mine.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It's usually cheaper to buy a new tv than to get anything on an old tv fixed (even for stuff as small as an HDMI port - especially as the people who fix that stuff are of vastly variable quality).

If you can't or otherwise don't want to upgrade your tv, then the only thing you can try is to get an input converter in one of various forms (they can be pretty expensive though).

The PS4 ONLY supports HDMI after everything I have read on the subject - and I wouldn't be surprised if it's very locked down with HDCP.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgee said:

You know why I'm not getting a PS4 at launch? Because it's going to be AUD$549 at launch. My head almost exploded at that figure.

o_O

It's as if you weren't around for the 360, PS3, 3DS, 3DS XL, Vita, Wii-U or any other hardware launch. Heck, I paid $799 for my PS3 and that was a year after release - it released at goddamn $999 when the yanks were bitching about $599.

$549 is HELLA decent around here.

And if you're wondering why a company would mark it up for us, a) GST - we have to include it in our pricing whereas in the states prices are listed without tax, b) Shipping, c) smaller market so no economy of scale and d) because we get paid more in AUS. Protip - our average income is around 73k and our median is around 48k, look up the same in places within America.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By supamon

Just buy a new TV. They're so damn cheap nowadays. I've been using HDMI for years and never looked back, I laugh at 2008 me playing with his CRT.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Bollard
    @selfconfessedcynic said:

@rpgee said:

o_O

It's as if you weren't around for the 360, PS3, 3DS, 3DS XL, Vita, Wii-U or any other hardware launch. Heck, I paid $799 for my PS3 and that was a year after release - it released at goddamn $999 when the yanks were bitching about $599.

And if you're wondering why a company would mark it up for us, a) GST - we have to include it in our pricing whereas in the states prices are listed without tax, b) Shipping, c) smaller market so no economy of scale and d) because we get paid more in AUS. Protip - our average income is around 73k and our median is around 48k, look up the same in places within America.

Isn't AUD$549 like USD$513 anyway? Which is basically the same price?

At least it's not like in the UK when we're having it marked up £100 on the direct conversion from USD to £. (How does USD$653 sound!)

EDIT: I was thinking about Xbox One prices, whoops.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgee said:

o_O

At least it's not like in the UK when we're having it marked up £100 on the direct conversion from USD to £. (How does USD$653 sound!)

£349 is A$580 - so you guys are totally getting a A$31 markup.

I don't know, when I put it that way, it seems like a small problem to have. Especially when I was expecting the console to be like $700 AUD. On the other hand, it's a $180 markup from the American price, which does kinda suck.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavtheworld said:

@rpgee said:

o_O

£349 is A$580 - so you guys are totally getting a A$31 markup.

I don't know, when I put it that way, it seems like a small problem to have. Especially when I was expecting the console to be like $700 AUD. On the other hand, it's a $180 markup from the American price, which does kinda suck.

Oh damnit, I just realised I was thinking about the Xbox One prices when I posted that! (£420 and USD$499). Whoops.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavtheworld: Hah - man, I speak out on EU's behalf in the recordings we did this week.

£429 is SO fucking much. From memory, most of the scuttlebutt from UK duders was an expectation of around £329.

What were you expecting for them to cost?

RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RustySanderke
    @joshwent said:

I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like there's a Digital (optical) out as well as HDMI. Not sure if that helps.

That's audio only.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@rpgee said:

My god man, the $999 figure of the PS3's release must have caused a full implosion, HOW ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavtheworld: Hah - man, I speak out on EU's behalf in the recordings we did this week.

£429 is SO fucking much. From memory, most of the scuttlebutt from UK duders was an expectation of around £329.

What were you expecting for them to cost?

I was expecting the cap to be £400 to be honest. And I totally didn't expect the Xbox to be the one to break that barrier... It's always the crazy conversion rates that get me (both the PS4 and One are gunna be £100 more than the direct conversion from USD, and sure we have VAT and such to add on, but man it seems crazy!). I understand Australia gets it even rougher usually.

rye256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if you live in the US or not, but the massive sales that happen come November drop HDTVs of every size down hundreds of dollars. If you watch for sales there are HDTVs on sale for a lot less than either console. I have a 32" that does 720p and like 1280x1018 or something weird, so I have been looking into getting something a bit bigger and better.

My Dad found his 46" 1080p HDTV on the classified ads for $300. The guy had just bought a 55" or 60" and didn't need his "tiny" 46" anymore. If you just want something that works then HDTVs under 32" are a lot cheaper and go on sale around November as well.

Don't spend hundreds on rigging up your broken TV to work when you can get a better one for not much more.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rpgee said:

The PS3 was like $1100 in NZ, I assume it was similar across the ditch. Now THAT was head-exploding. $549 sounds A-OK in my books.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rpgee

@selfconfessedcynic: You're right, $549 isn't that bad compared to how we've had it in the past, but I had sincerely, SINCERELY thought we had begun to escape seeming like a backwater market. Part of it is probably that I've been buying most of my consoles after a significant price drop, but I still hate how the console is almost 25% more expensive than other markets. I have no real complaints, since I don't plan on getting it for either price, but it still sucks feeling like the little guy.

@dark: Luckily, this at a time when I was still young enough and in a low-key enough family that I was still playing my PS1. Although I do still do that, so I guess nothing's changed. Either way, my head remains intact.

@tebbit: I was not aware. That seems utterly ridiculous.

Keavy_Rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Keavy_Rain

@zeik: If I were in your situation I'd take the $400 out on Black Friday and get a new TV then pick up a PS3 with my tax return.

You could get a 40" now for $400

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hollitz

Do you have a decent PC monitor? I game on mine. Even if the monitor only has a DVI in, there's HDMI to DVI cables.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shinjin977

@zeik: I am not sure where you live so I will make recommendation base on where I know. If you have a desktop pc you can also get a LCD monitor for your pc with hdmi in for like 100-200 usd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.