Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 unexpected disc eject problem - how widespread is it?

fetterdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By fetterdave
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've never heard of this issue, but I know at least early on when the PS4 released, they just sent people new consoles so they didn't have to wait for the repair. I'm not sure if this is still the policy.

halfashandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By halfashandy

I don't even know what to do about my machine. Sometimes won't take discs at all? Then off+on then decided to take them again! Very strange.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Mine went into Safe Mode yesterday when I tried turning it on which really freaked me out. Turned it off and then back on and everything worked fine - but it's the brand new white Destiny version I had bought maybe 2 weeks ago so seeing it go into Safe Mode out of nowhere is worrying. Especially since I take good care of all my eletronics, proper clearance, ventilation, always turn it off properly etc. Hopefully this isn't the beginning of some bigger problem.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Did you turn it off and then flick the switch/unplug it from the electrical socket right away? It doesn't like you doing that, you need to give it about 10-15 seconds before the white light bar goes off completely. Mine's done that before, it's a launch model so it's not just an issue with the white Destiny version.

fetterdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Also, a tip for those going through Sony's RMA process: I had nothing but problems with the web form. It wasn't until I had a live chat with an actual CSR, and had him complete a service request for me, that I actually was entered into the system.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jesus_phish: No, why would anyone unplug it from the socket? I always turn it off by holding the PS4 button and choosing "Turn of PS4" or whatever the option is called that turns it off instead of hibernating. I also exit out my games to the dashboard before turning off the system. We will see today when I get home and prepare to challenge myself to enjoy Destiny again. Hope it was a weird fluke.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Because even when you turn it off it's not powered off completely. Part of it stays awake so the controllers can wake it up.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By monkeyking1969

I don't have any issues, I got a launch system. So, mark me as a 'no'.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@jesus_phish: No, why would anyone unplug it from the socket?

I unplug almost all electronics before going to bed, and when I know I won't be using them for a while. Especially consoles and PCs. Does wonders for your electricity bill and the environment.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Corevi

The problem is that you haven't embraced the all digital future. Enter The Grid.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Dussck

It's pretty bad I think. I have had it, rebuilt the database, powered it off for a while and after that I haven't had it since. Friend of mine has the Destiny white one and the problem occured immediately. He also powered it off and rebuilt the database and it seems fine now.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Optix12

BTW I had this problem a week or two back and I have to ask, how many of you guys have your PS4 flat (not upright)?

Its hard to see previously (I didnt know it was there until I looked for it) but underneat the light there is a support piece of rubber, what happened to mine is over time the rubber decided to give in and it slightly touches the eject button while flat (horizontal).

After doing all the fixes they request you to do which didnt work i simply put mine upright and its been working ever since.

EDIT: note you can actually trigger the eject by stroking the bottom of that eject button where the rubber bit joins right next to it)

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lun49gameon

I had this issue after i inserted The Last of Us disc in my ps4. I think it might have been a software problem for me because all the other discs it would accept. The thing that fixed it for me was disconnecting it from the power and then plugging it back in. That worked for some hours and then it came back, the next day after an update it never did it again.

bart008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had an issue with the constant beeping and I couldn't insert a disk for a while. I haven't had a disk randomly eject thankfully. I also have one of the loud Xbox One's. Guess I have bad luck.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Just started getting this with the glacier white one. Goddamn it.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By Castiel

I only have two disc games for my PS4 so I haven't experienced too many issues with it. But I have had the PS4 not recognizing a disc so I had to eject it and put it back in and then it worked. Another time I turned on my PS4 and pretty much immediately it ejected the disc for a split second before automatically "putting" it back. It wasn't like the disc came out of the console but you could hear that it was happening. So that was a bit weird.

I'm a little scared cause Alien: Isolation I bought on disc simply because it was so much cheaper, but I will have to see how that goes. I just get so paranoid when this kind of stuff happens especially with completely new hardware.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.