Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PSN is going UP in price

• 56 results
    WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Between the sales and the 6 games a month I get far more than my $5 worth out of PS+. I keep hearing about how awful Playstation download speeds are, I wonder if it's a regional thing. I rarely have issues with download speeds. Never really did on PS3 either, the installs were what always ate up a ton of time.

The Playstation Store is bafflingly bad on all of their systems, though. More often than not it won't load for me on PS3 or PS4, it's to the point where I use the PC store for everything. You'd think their storefront would be their highest priority since that's how you give them money, but I guess not.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the record as a Canadian I would have been fine with it going up $10 and being on par with xbox but something about going up $20 bucks with nothing added really seems like too much

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@bigsocrates:

except that it's taken all at once. $60 out of someone who makes $8/hr is taking a little less than 10% of a two-week paycheck. And if you don't pay it, hope you don't like playing online and the "free" PS Plus games won't work... It's kind of bullying. Now that they have you in the system, there isn't too much you can do.... you could buy a PC, but if you've invested in the PlayStation ecosystem (games, movies etc), well tough shit I guess.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I have four or five years already purchased, so I'm not really concerned about this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm not thrilled about this news, though at least I don't have to think about it for another 9 or 10 months. At that point, it might take some better PS+ games (or even junk like The Order 1886) and some basic fixes like "better download speeds" for me to want to renew. I'm not so attached to most of my free games that I couldn't go without them for a few months.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g said:

@bigsocrates:

except that it's taken all at once. $60 out of someone who makes $8/hr is taking a little less than 10% of a two-week paycheck. And if you don't pay it, hope you don't like playing online and the "free" PS Plus games won't work... It's kind of bullying. Now that they have you in the system, there isn't too much you can do.... you could buy a PC, but if you've invested in the PlayStation ecosystem (games, movies etc), well tough shit I guess.

I don't think it's fair to include the whole $60 because $50 was a known quantity. the additional $10 is less than 2% of that same paycheck, and easier to swallow.

Look, I've been broke. I know that $10 is real money. But prices rise. It's just a thing that happens (although in video games where 20 years later games don't cost as much as they did back when expensive SNES RPGs could run $70-$80, no inflation adjustment)

I agree that if Sony keeps ratcheting up the price it will be extremely unfair and there will back a backlash, but this is a single small price rise, half of which has been eaten up by inflation anyway, and I'm willing to wait and see whether this adjustment was just to match Xbox or if they have some evil plans. I'm just not willing to go for the torches and pitchforks yet. We can't make a categorical rule that prices never go up, even by small amounts, without massive backlash.

I agree with others (including Jeff) that there should have been some actual messaging attached to this and some reassurance that Sony plans to use the money to improve the service.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped renewing mine last year. The only games I really played from PS+ were Rocket League and Transistor (and I bought both of those once my PS+ ended). The problem is, I mainly used it for the Cloud storage and to occasionally play Diablo 3 online. Since then, my friends picked up Diablo 3 on PC and I upgraded my PS3/4 hard drives. It's already hard enough to justify $50/year when I barely use it (as I own 10 different consoles at this point and tons of games for them), so $60/yr needs to bring more value to the table to get me on it (better games, download service, service stability, etc). Otherwise, the only other thing I got out of it was the occasional deal.

I'm not going to argue whether it's "fair" or not since it's their damn service, but I've been ok playing Bloodborne offline and I can play Blizzard games on my PC instead.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I shake my head a people trying to defend this move by Sony. There is no justification for it, if the service they provide is subpar. And people saying they're going to PC because of this move isn't making it a PC VS Console debate. It is a logical move. Why should people pay 60 bucks for weak internet and crappy "free" games that aren't really free, when you can go to PC services like Steam, Origin and others that have great internet, quality free games and all the advantages that go with gaming on PC in the first place. I now personally regret getting SFV for the PS4. I should have gotten it for the PC - better graphics, easy to hook up different fight sticks and pads, plus the user created mods that have been coming out are awesome. Compared to the PS4 version that have controller sync issues, isn't compatible with all modern fight sticks and pads, and is only good enough, graphically. And lets not forget the 8 frames of input lag.

Bottom Line: Sony is starting to burn bridges with their consumers, and as a result, Microsoft and Nintendo will have an opening this holiday season and going into next year to capitalize on Sony's arrogance.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@av_gamer: people mock Origin but I just bought Titanfall and Syndicate for less than $10 and they give out a free game each month without requiring a subscription. Their subscription service is a pretty good deal as it lets you play full games from the vault and you get various discounts for their DLC in addition to getting an early look at upcoming games.

The only reason Sony is so far ahead in the game right now is because when the console race started all the wheels fell off the Xbox. It didn't take long for their old PS3 behavior to come right back around. Instead of adding on to their service and making it better like Microsoft has been doing they felt complacent in resting on their laurels and occasionally taking juvenile potshots at Microsoft. Now their Neo console is poised to be a worse product than the Scorpio while their PSN service is increasing in price without increasing in quality. As a PS4 owner I'm not seeing any reason to not jump ship when the Scorpio is out. In fact I'd get that new XB1 slim right now if not for the impending Scorpio release. Amazingly it took all of 2-3 years for Sonys arrogance to swing back around in full force.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko said:
    Just because we aren't getting Knack for free, everyone thinks its a bad value.

What is it with everyone wanting Knack to go free on PS Plus? It's been sold for like $8 on PSN, and nobody liked that game anyway. Anyone who was desperate to play Knack could have played Knack by now. I think Knack is pretty low value at this point.

I may be biased though, because I bought Knack at launch and never played it. Instead I played Resogun and Battlefield 4. I definitely don't regret that decision (though I do regret buying Knack.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.