Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Slooooooow downloads

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I recognize this is partially on me for not buying discs, but the download speeds I am getting from PSN are incredibly slow. Like 2 Mbps slow, occassionally dipping down to 1 OR BELOW. I ran some speedtests on other devices, qnd typically average 30 Mbps, which isn't blazing fast but is a Ferarri compared to what I an getting now.

Curious if anyone else is having ludiciriously slow down/up speeds, or if anyone has some fixes network side I could try to zip this up a bit. Worth noting, I was able to get 1.5 no trouble, and have downloaded Resogun. And I've played that A LOT as I have tried to download N4S and DCUO all day today. I was going to give it the weekend but figured I'd ask on here if I am not alone.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

My speed has been pretty much fine. I don't have the best connection but it seems to be a bit better than my ps3

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm sure some of it has to do with launch, but PSN has always has slow download speeds.

It's nothing new and should not really be surprising.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had heard that PSN downloads could be kinda pokey (previous X-Box player), but there is slow and there is borderline broken.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Welcome to launch weekend

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had any problems. I've already downloaded Battlefield 4, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Resogun, Contrast, Warframe, DCUO, and Blacklight. That's definitely over 100GB worth of data and I set the thing up late last night. Are you wired or wireless? That might make a difference.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wireless, and my router is somewhat far away. I recognize thats not an optimal solution, but where my modem is doesn't make it very convenient to run wired.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8 FinalDasa  Moderator

My 1.5 update kept timing out and I can't even access the Playstation Store. Just a lot of traffic I assume.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spoonman671

My 1.5 update kept timing out and I can't even access the Playstation Store. Just a lot of traffic I assume.

I recommend downloading the update onto a USB stick via your computer and updating that way. You still may not be able to get into the store, but I was able to go back to the store several times without issue later last night.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10 FinalDasa  Moderator

@spoonman671: As I downloaded and copied the update to my USB it finally updated like normal.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Download speed is one of the things I have been Very Happy with, it is noticeably better than the PS3. I have downloaded 4 full games no problems.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shinjin977

man all these psn thread all over the net. I will assume you guys have never been there for the launch of an mmo. (Wow expansion are typically unplayable for about 1-2 weeks 3 if we are unlucky. FFxiv was a shit fest for almost a month). You expect better for a launch as big as ps4 but par for the cause this is.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By tourgen

Seems alright to me, but then again my internet is bad so maybe I don't have a good frame of reference for what people with good internet consider slow. I downloaded Warframe and Resogun though at home, no problems.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Come back in six months when everything will be working fine. Either that, or deal with console launch woes. Your call

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My speed has been pretty good. Way better than my ps3 , but still slower than my PC. I have noticed download speeds dropping dramatically while I'm playing something online on the system but I believe that's to be expected.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird. I got like 45 Mbps last night.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been averaging about 23mbps so pretty good.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Silver-Streak

I was getting 2-4 megabytes per second (not megabits) download immediately after launch, and all day yesterday. PSN speeds are infinitely better than they were during the majority of the PS3's lifespan.

UpInLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My internet is slow and ps3 downloads are slow, but i downloaded Resogun in about 25-30mins which is fast for me.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My speed has been quite good. Well over 10mbps.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a huge fan of Sony, but even I can recognize that this is probably at least partly due to launch window load on their servers. It will probably (hopefully for your sake) get better over time as people finish with the initial downloading rush.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait till its not launch weekend when a ton of people are downloading 40 gig games, and I'm sure it will be fine

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive actually been surprised how fast it has been. like, even if they didnt improve, id be ok with that. it's great because it will improve.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I paid the $10 for the upgrade of CoD ghosts and downloaded. Now I downloaded, installed, and updated the whole thing before even playing it. So it was completely done already. I played the first story mission and now I have to wait 40mins for another install. I have no idea why it shouldn't be already installed. Anyone else get this?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@lord_xp: Well I'm pretty sure the initial download is only the bare minimum to become playable. You probably ran into the wall.

I'm generally disappointed with the speed of both the downloads and, judging from the GB crew's livestream, the installations. The installation slowness seems even more damning to me, even though I'll never used them, because of how compromised the games seem in that partially playable state. And the system's opaqueness when it comes to how close they ACTUALLY are to being ready to play doesn't help. I can imagine seeing that a game I'm downloading is ready to go only to load it and find it's not ready to go and, on top of needing time to install, needs to install a patch once that's done. I guess what I have more of an issue with is usability more than download speeds themselves because I know the later will be ironed out over time.

Right now I'm feeling that I overestimated Sony. I expected them, based on the hype, to catch up with Microsoft in terms of network stability and user experience. They haven't. They're still Sony and the PS4's UI is clunkier than the Wii U's. I also feel, suddenly, that the Xbox One has a good chance of becoming my main console this generation. We'll see next week, but I got a good feeling about the various features that feel better thought out than the Sony alternative such as the homescreens of different users looking different on the Xbox One in terms of color while on the PS4 the only thing that changes is the icon. Not to mention Microsoft's server side is more promising. Azure. Again, next week. That'll be fun! Also Mario.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally managed to access the store and downloaded resogun, contrast, warframe, and blacklight.

The download speeds weren't extremely fast, but definitely faster than anything I've experienced on the ps3. They've definitely done some work and it's great start.

I'm assuming it will only get better from here.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadowSkill11

So I recognize this is partially on me for not buying discs, but the download speeds I am getting from PSN are incredibly slow. Like 2 Mbps slow, occassionally dipping down to 1 OR BELOW. I ran some speedtests on other devices, qnd typically average 30 Mbps, which isn't blazing fast but is a Ferarri compared to what I an getting now.

Curious if anyone else is having ludiciriously slow down/up speeds, or if anyone has some fixes network side I could try to zip this up a bit. Worth noting, I was able to get 1.5 no trouble, and have downloaded Resogun. And I've played that A LOT as I have tried to download N4S and DCUO all day today. I was going to give it the weekend but figured I'd ask on here if I am not alone.

Sucks for you. My download speeds have been near Steam level fantastic.

toolzz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

have been getting 1 mb/s download so far....nba 2k14 patch is taking about 3 hours to download frustrating but what are you gonna do...warframe has been downloading for 2 days and is about 60% done

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

have been getting 1 mb/s download so far....nba 2k14 patch is taking about 3 hours to download frustrating but what are you gonna do...warframe has been downloading for 2 days and is about 60% done

What? Warframe is about 10 GB and it only took me about 20 minutes or so on launch night. I think you have some network issues.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@toolzz360 said:

What? Warframe is about 10 GB and it only took me about 20 minutes or so on launch night. I think you have some network issues.

Yeah I downloaded Warframe, Resogun, and Constrast while I was playing Killzone on Saturday morning. It took me about an hour for all of them to download and install.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Damn you people. My average download speed on a good day is 800 kbps, and that's not even on a PS4.

I'm not looking forward to that aspect of next-gen at all.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't downloaded any of the large file size games, but I got Sound Shapes, Flower, Contrast, and Resogun day 2 along with the firmware and all the game disc patches. Took about 15 minutes for everything. This same download would have taken hours with my PS3. My download speed is not fast, capping at 2.5 mbps and it was getting close to that mark, no complaints.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn you people. My average download speed on a good day is 800 kbps, and that's not even on a PS4.

You upgraded your console. Why don't you upgrade you internet connection too? Seriously, get FIOS or something man. What did you think was going to happen with these PC size games and streaming video?

toolzz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#34  Edited By toolzz360
    emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By emfromthesea

@sunbrozak said:

You upgraded your console. Why don't you upgrade you internet connection too? Seriously, get FIOS or something man. What did you think was going to happen with these PC size games and streaming video?

I haven't actually upgraded my console, but from the talk in this thread, I'd assume it'd be worse on a PS4.

And I would upgrade if I could, but BT (uk provider) is the best option that's available with living out in the countryside. If I move into the city, it may improve a good bit, but that won't happen for quite some time.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hubrisranger: 2 megabytes or megabits? Because 2 megabytes per second is really fast...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Sorry to hear that. On my side, it's been entirely competent given my relatively slow connection speed. I wish my Internet was putting out 2 Mbps. I usually maybe reach 1 mbps on a good day. )>:

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@nick said:

@hubrisranger: 2 megabytes or megabits? Because 2 megabytes per second is really fast...

It's only 16 megabits, which is less than what several people in this thread already reported. Seems like a combination of launch traffic and sub-optimal networking (whether by them or their ISP) for those having issues.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Mine have been pretty excellent, usually around 3-5 megabytes per second. I would really connect it via wired if you can, complaining about download speeds over wifi from several rooms away is kind of silly.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only been downloading smaller games and DLC but the downloads seem very fast. I wouldn't download a full retail game off the store because I'm not crazy enough to download 30-40GBs. Then again PSN downloads were as fast or faster than XBL downloads on my PS3 so I've never had the issues people complain about.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DukesT3

I downloaded the Fifa demo and it downloaded it a hell of a lot faster than the ps3. Probably just the launch.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine are pretty great

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I downloaded all of NFS Rivals in what felt like a very short amount of time. Comparable to a big game from Steam. Way faster than on PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.