Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

So about 1 year ago, how does the ps4 pro stack up?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I’m honestly deciding between a ps4 pro and a Xbox One X and am wondering if I should just spend the extra 100 dollars on a Xbox one x or not. I should note I don’t own a 4K tv (just a 1080p) and most my purchased games are on ps4 compared to Xbox one.

Has a lot of the ps4 pro issues been ironed out since launch?

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Rigas

Do you need a new PS4? thats where you games are but the pro is only worth it, if you are going to be buying a console anyway. Also not having 4K is another mark against it. If you have the money, go for it, maybe there is something else you can do with that money.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I mean, it seems like the Xbox One X is the better upgrade, and the PS4 Pro is kind of not worth it if you don't have a 4K tv. I would wait to see how the X performs on 1080 setups before getting it.

Honestly you're probably better off just saving you're money, if you have a regular PS4 and games.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's pretty flat and square, so, "neatly"?

Oh wait, sorry.

I bought a Pro at launch and I think it does great for games that take advantage of it. I honestly don't know that I would "recommend" that anyone pay the extra for it.

That being said, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my XB1X Scorpio Edition... lol. Yes, I'm a sucker.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Dixavd

I have a PS4 Pro whereas family members have the original. I don't have any issues, and I have found games run better on the Pro. It's not big enough that I'd upgrade to it without a 4k screen.

If you don't have a ps4 yet, and want one, I think it's worth getting the Pro up front. It also depends on what games you want: the only Xbox exclusive I'm interested in is Forza, but that's a fleeting interest. Whereas the PS4 has had a bunch of games, especially from the non-Nintendo Japanese devs which I have a huge interest in.

If you already have both an Xbox One and PS4 and are thinking of upgrading, I would discount the Pro unless you really have spare cash.

Edit: I should say that I don't have a 4K TV and find games run noticeably better on the Pro. That said it's not so significant that I have an aversion to playing games on the original PS4.

xGreyfox357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xGreyfox357

I would say go for it. With xbox matching sony there should be more dev time spent on leveraging the extra horses. It was worth it for me for the dark souls 3 patch alone. Boost mode is nice too. I dont have a 4k and the games that super sample do look a little better. The support hasnt been what i had hoped for though.

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 4k TV, so I'm really glad I had it for Horizon earlier this year.

Other than that, I tend to forget it isn't a regular PS4.

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

I have a 4K TV so I'm glad I bought it. I still run the majority of games in 1080p like Tomb Raider or The Last Of Us Remastered or Horizon Zero Dawn, I will always choose framerate over resolution.

Netflix 4K is pretty good too and is Amazon Prime in 4K. I still maintain that HDR is the real game changer not 4K though.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It sounds like you have both a PS4 and Xbox One, and don't own a 4K TV. Save your money.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I should have mentioned if I didn’t that I do own a ps4 and Xbox one already.

DarlingDixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DarlingDixie

I’m thinking of buying a Pro next year, it’s lame that some games are launching without support... I thought that was not allowed.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortonan said:

Kinda the same here, with another exception being that there's the very, very occasional game that gets a significant boost with the Pro, like Snake Pass going from 30 to 60fps. But I got it discounted by trading in my old PS4 and some other stuff, so whatever, what's done is done.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldenglishc

@glots said:
    @mortonan said:

Kinda the same here, with another exception being that there's the very, very occasional game that gets a significant boost with the Pro, like Snake Pass going from 30 to 60fps. But I got it discounted by trading in my old PS4 and some other stuff, so whatever, what's done is done.

I'm also sitting in this boat. There's a small handful of games that look better, but most of the time it's just a regular PS4 that takes up more space and seems to have a slightly louder fan.

Avatar image for bioshocksurvivr
    Bioshocksurvivr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been wondering about this as well. I have a PS4, but not an Xbox One.

I kinda want to get the Pro, or the One X. The Xbox would probably make more sense, but outside of Cuphead, I really don't have much interest in the exclusives.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

I have a 4K TV and a Pro and the only time I've noticed a difference visually is when I've seen a vanilla PS4 and a 1080p TV at my brothers house after having played at my house. Even if you have a 4K TV I don't think it's a big enough deal if you already have a vanilla PS4. If anything the Xbox One X seems like a much more meaningful upgrade.

If you already have vanilla versions of both it seems the One X would be the smarter "return the original for money and upgrade" action. If you have neither of the originals than the conversation would be about the merits of the two consoles aside from the hardware upgrades anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I like mine though that's partially due to the lack of jet engine like sounds that my original model PS4 was starting to make

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This probably won't be indicative of how every game will run going forward but DF did a comparison between a preview build of Shadow of War on Xbox One X and the retail version of the PS4 Pro and there is a pretty noticeable difference even if you don't have a 4ktv. Im guessing that only some devs will take advantage of the extra power in the XBox while most will probably run their games the exact same.

Loading Video...

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably if I was going to buy any new 4k console it would be the One X. but since I don't own a 4k TV, and can't afford one right now, I'm still debating if its worth spending the money since I own a regular PS4 and XBOX One.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think maybe I'm falling into the trap of having the very best thing. like, it docent matter if I can fully take advantage of this thing but fuck it I want the bestests best thing.

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravensword: Can't help you with the XBOX, but as an owner of a PS4 and PS4Pro I can say that what most reviewers were saying when it came out is still true today (and will be forever minus some really weird change-ups by Sony for the next generation): I would 100% recommend it if you do not own a PS4 and want to get it on the scene, but otherwise it is definitely not a necessary purchase unless you have money to burn and like to have the latest "shiny". Surprisingly, the feature I use and enjoy the most out of my Pro is the 1080p remote play (PS4 can only do 720p). The 1080p makes a huge difference in image quality over the original 720p. This allows me to easily stream to my Pro to my PC in my room when I don't want to bother using the downstairs TV or want to multitask with my main PC in my room. The latency is perfectly acceptable, and it is especially good for games like Darkest Dungeon and Persona 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.