Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Sony Confirms Playstation NEO, Won't Feature the Console at E3

• 111 results
    austin_walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By austin_walker
    Sony Interactive Entertainment President and Group CEO Andrew House
    Sony Interactive Entertainment President and Group CEO Andrew House

Sony may have some surprises on stage at E3 next week, but one thing it won't have is the Playstation NEO. This news comes along with official confirmation of the NEO's existence via an interview with Sony Interactive Entertainment's Andrew House over at the Financial Times.

Though House doesn't get into details about teraflops or memory amounts, his statements line up with what we've reported in the past. It will be a "high-end PS4" that sells for over the current unit's $350 price tag, and will "sit alongside and complement the standard PS4" throughout the entire cycle of the PS4. He confirmed that future PS4 games would continue being supported on the PS4 and that "all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4."

When it comes to placing this decision inside of a larger strategic context, House used phrasing similar to Microsoft's Phil Spencer when describing this strategy change, stating that console buyers are now "attuned to a different cadence of innovation in technology thanks in great part for the upgrades cadence on mobile phones." That said, there's nothing in this interview that indicates that Sony is looking to make upgrades like this a yearly thing.

Ever since Patrick Klepek broke the "Playstation 4.5" story back in March, I've been eager to see how Sony would message the console's existence while still trying to move units of the current model. But despite this official confirmation that the NEO is in development, it seems like we'll be waiting for a while before getting more information. When asked why the NEO won't show up at Sony's E3 presentation, House stated that Sony wants "to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety." Given that the earlier leaks suggested that the NEO would launch before fiscal 2017, I suspect that we'll see a full announcement of the NEO sometime later this summer, possibly at Gamescom in mid-August.

With the NEO out of the way, Sony will be able to focus its E3 press conference on upcoming PS4 games and features. As excited as I was to see how they'd sell the NEO, I'm just as curious to see if the company has any new surprises up its sleeves. If you're curious too, you can watch along with all of us here at Giant Bomb on June 13th at 6 PM PT.

iMiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well this completely blows all E3 Sony bets out of the waters. They must have a hell of a lineup to distract from the elephant in the room...

Musai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Musai

This is so fucking weird that they won't even touch on it at E3. Messaging around this thing has been an utter shitshow.

Avatar image for heartbreakridge
    HeartbreakRidge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not necessarily, it could be as simple (as the duders have said) as of not wanting to give the impression that you need Neo to run Playstation VR.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to imagine the main push will be on playstation vr.

jerkchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're already fighting an uphill battle to convince me to buy PSVR, much less a new console.

slaughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, even though I've ran a few scenarios in my head of why they wouldn't want to mention the NEO at E3, I still don't care for it.

Personally that's just making me be hesitant and more suspicious of the damn thing.

joeshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well, I guess it won't be out this year and the focus will be mostly PSVR. That fine with me because I'm not buying one until my current one craps out.

Musai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Musai

@heartbreakridge: Seems to me like you'd specifically want to bring this up at a press conference as soon as possible rather than leave it to the rumor/speculation mill until Gamescom or beyond.

Avatar image for heartbreakridge
    HeartbreakRidge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HeartbreakRidge

@musai it's definitely a risk whichever way you go with it, though I would not discount the possibility of Sony changing their mind depending on how Microsoft addresses their own turbo console at their press conference.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VR focus for sony now (for better for worse)

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their E3 is going to be quite underwhelming then, even if they show a couple big games. Leaving the door open for Microsoft to take this one.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

They better bring games that are actually coming out then. Shenmue 3 and FF7 remake are exciting, but those games aren't being released for years.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

While I know nothing about the Neo, I cannot possibly buy a PS4 (despite wanting to in advance of many console-only titles I'm looking forward to). If they showed the Neo, and what you're getting for the wait and extra cost, I could at least make an informed decision and choose to get a standard PS4 instead.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@musai: they have a VR headset to sell so maybe it is a better decision, also it will be smart if they also cut the price to 300$ like to the ps4

Musai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heartbreakridge: It just kinda seems awkward to potentially spend the whole show talking up PSVR and then leave a huge question mark around how it works with Neo. We know that it's supported on stock PS4, but is it "supported" or supported? Will Neo ship with PSVR as a pack-in, or in a bundle? Too many questions that are going to be way worrying for consumers.

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Neo out with Horizon Event Zero

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this seems big enough to have its own event, probably easier to set the agenda when its the only thing being talked about, rather than in the middle of a press conference, although its obviously annoying knowing very little as we do now

my ps4 stopped working last weekend, i was waiting until the press conference before deciding what to do with it, before fixing it last night, this would have been very bad news had it been broken for good

Acornactivist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm still not excited about this whole thing. So many consumer products have adopted a similar upgrade strategy, and the last thing I want is pressure to do this with my console. I don't have that kind of money. The main reason I prefer console gaming is because I like knowing that I just have the box I need to play games. And all this about "oh you can still run games on the old one" doesn't do it for me. In order to sell the Neo, they'll have to sell a better experience, which means a lesser experience on the old console.

This may very well be the future of gaming. And if it is, so be it. But I am so far from being on board with it right now.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So yeah they're just coming out and saying they are following the cell phone model from now on. Cool cool coolcoolcoolcoolcool

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCOOOPS SCOOP CONFIRMED WEEKS LATER.

It'a nice to finally get confirmation. Need to take a second to remember this is a real thing that is happening and realise how weird that is going forwards.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd: exactly this. I was always planning on getting a PS4 for Persona, but if a good deal came along I was going to pick one up early. Now there is no way I will, what if the Neo is much better and only £50 more, or its a lot more expensive and doesn't add much. There is no way to know, so I won't be buying one until it's all clear.

ItsMagicNeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Weird that they put the information out like this, why wait 2 months and then quietly confirm it right before E3? Seems like it could have been a last minute decision, something they cut from the conference because it wasn't ready, or they got word of Microsoft's plans and are changing their strategy. Still, if it's something that's meant to go along-side the PS4 then it should come out soon, we're already 3 years into this generation.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

playstation neo-t yet

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to push Neo to 2017 and focus on PSVR in 2016.

johnseminario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

. . . SO DO I BUY A PS4 OR NOT?!

JonnyAshley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has all been a big poker game this year, with everyone slowly waiting for the other major competitors to reveal their hand.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a fucking bummer. I planned on buying a PS4 right around the time of the leaked news of the NEO and now there's a high likelihood it won't even be out this year. Now I'm just shit out of luck for FFXV and NieR unless I want to get ripped off and still be behind.

Gaminggumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gaminggumper

Its clear they want to avoid poisoning the waters for the PSVR too early. So I'd bet they announce this at PSX this year and see if it has the numbers to pull off a launch announcement of higher performance tier. Its a gamble as Psx viewers/attendees are the loyalist of fans so likely the first to bite on a "better version of something you already have", but also the most likely to take offense.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets: well TLG(The Last Gardian ),Gravity Rush 2, Gt Sport are out this year, and there are still studios from sony with no project, also sony like more the spring window beacuse it is less crowded

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I expect a PSVR & Neo super bundle this fall.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By monkeyking1969

I actually think we will never see Neo. In fact, I think Microsoft will quietly not put out Scorpio either. It is all supposition on my part, but even some of the other podcasts (not GB) brought up the issue that NX was supposed to be a more powerful systems. Neo and Scorpio was everyone posturing to be ready to act if Nintendo went that route of making a powerful system. Also, I think the introduction of VR has been less earth shaking than people thought. VR will now have a much slower and more sedate introduction to the gaming marketplace.

So, with Nintendo struggling and VR not taking off like a rocket, the Cuban Missile Crisis like fears have been put to rest, everyone is backing down and putting away the big guns. This actually makes me feel less dread about e3 this year. I think after another year Sony and Microsoft will feel better about staying with the systems they have now and not chasing some illusory "spec" they must meet to comepte with PCs or NX.

I'll call it... I'm willing to be wrong and eat a ramin noodle hat...but I bet Neo and Scorpio never see the light of day.

Hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamers don't see consoles the same way we see cell phones. This won't work. Most people skip generations until it makes sense to upgrade anyhow. We're not all shameless idiot consumers. Whatever.

CoffinVarnishh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nagafen said:

They need to push Neo to 2017 and focus on PSVR in 2016.

Right but how well does the NORMAL PS4 work with VR?

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AlexGBRO

@gaminggumper: yeah i think your right, sony needs to push for VR right now, ps4 neo latter

Oxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Oxe

I think we will see Microsoft also make a similar to this if they are not planning to show Scorpio at E3.

If they don't people will watch the conference expecting it and end up doubly disappointed.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coffinvarnishh: well sony has VR games on the floor this E3, also the Gear VR work wtih an mobile devices so ps4 can run vr games, devs know limitations but vr games are not pushing graphics, it will be interesting how Eve Valkyrie looks compared to Vive/Rift version as a "AAA" VR game.

superdomino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever since Patrick Klepek broke the "Playstation 4.5" story back in March

MY THAT YOUNG PATRICK KLEPEK SURE IS A GO-GETTER AND SURELY A VALUABLE ASSET TO ANY COMPANY WHO NEEDS A GAMES CRITIC. NOT THAT HE'S LOOKING--JUST SAYIN!

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes kinda sense, as the PS3 Slim also got revealed at GamesCom. Unlike it's competition Sony actually sometimes caters to its EU fanbase.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Silver-Streak

@superdomino: Sounds like Ziff Davis may buy some Gawker sites. I'd bet it'd include Kotaku, so I'm hoping Patrick ends up ok.

Also, this is strangely similar to Jeff ending up back in the same area/parent company as Gamespot. Ziff Davis owns(owned?) 1up.com.

Edit: Don't even have to bet, thankfully. ZD's CEO is actively saying they're looking to buy Kotaku.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PC master race trumps all

sanzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sanzee

Right when I have the money to buy a current Gen system (still rockin the 360) Sony (and no doubt MS) announce they're going to be putting out more powerful hardware in 2017. I want to buy a PS4 or Xbox One so badly but in a year the current models will be obselete (I.e. less powerful). I hate being in this predicament. Should I buy current hardware now for immediate satisfaction and play all the newest releases... or wait until the more powerful systems come out next year? I've already suffered long enough watching everyone enjoy games on PS4 and Xbox One lol. I'm barely making ends meet so this kinda sucks to hear.

frogtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By frogtastic

Customers will eventually realize this is nothing more than an attempt to keep the price point higher. This is still a cheap box, they can't squeeze much frames per second or fidelity or pixels our of it. Yearly hardware cycles, the great legacy of nearsighted asshole Steve Jobs.

It's a bad trend, that will end up being as noteworthy as 3D; it's there, who care?

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if Sony are rethinking their specs after learning the Xbox Scorpio will be more powerful. What's the point in rushing out an upgrade when you are already on top, then being the underdog in six months?

Crazy_Zaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Crazy_Zaul

Really? The Financial Times now?... Gaming announcements really are getting weirder and weirder.

Wow you cant even read the financial times without subscribing. They announced a console in sub only newspaper!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@musai ...I would not discount the possibility of Sony changing their mind depending on how Microsoft addresses their own turbo console at their press conference.

That's where I would put my money. Worked brilliantly for Sony marketing last E3, why not try it again.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Well now I'm even more curious about how they go about not covering this thing. Seems like the sort of thing you wouldn't want to mention at all in a E3 presentation if you're not gonna delve into it in some capacity. "We have a more powerful PS4 on the way, but you'll find out more about that later. Anyways, here's some games."

Flat out ignoring it however creates a pretty glaring hole. Are people still concerned about it splitting the userbase? Seems like something worth addressing directly, or maybe they think the leaks about it expressly not doing that are enough.

E3 so soon!

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

They won't show the Neo itself> but I'm willing to bet that all the games they will show' are going to be specced for it.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heartbreakridge said:

@musai ...I would not discount the possibility of Sony changing their mind depending on how Microsoft addresses their own turbo console at their press conference.

That's where I would put my money. Worked brilliantly for Sony marketing last E3, why not try it again.

I would bet they have a team on standby to react to MS if they announce anything. It's the big advantage of having their conference after MS.

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coffinvarnishh: Well it has to work perfectly or they screw themselves over. I wont buy either if they launch them together, I'll just ditch the consoles and stick to PC then as there will be no price advantage.

dreiszen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fascinating how quickly the narratives in comment sections shift between "E3 is irrelevant" and "if it's not at E3 it's done for".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.