Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Sony Confirms Playstation NEO, Won't Feature the Console at E3

• 111 results
    Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Huh...this seems like a strange move. Do you think they will show it off at Gamescom?

DS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If they make supporting the Neo optional there is literally no point.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By deepcovergecko

All the Neo has done is reaffirm my decision to buy a new PC, so good job Sony!

Why are they bringing this out now? It won't be able to run 4k games, so can we expect another Neo in 2-3 years?

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should I get a ps4 now since all I want is their exclusives and weird japanese games? My PC is powerful enough for running everything on high or ultra already.

ElectricCastle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By ElectricCastle

@abrasion said:
    @electriccastle said:

If this thing can run games at 4K -- and by run, I mean run at smooth, decent frames -- I will eat all my hats.

SLI 980's struggles, what hope on Earth does a console have?

There was never ever a claim it would run games at 4k, just the graphics processor, the HDMI out chip are updated to support 4k resolution. So 4k UHD bluray, 4k netflix and video games upscaled to 4k. Also a few very select titles will actually run at 4k, just like back on the Xbox 360 a tiny handful did 1080p (Rockstar Table Tennis) and Xbox 1 (not One, Xbox 1) could do 720p and 1080i for a tiny handful of games. (Dragons Lair), heck even the PS2 did 1080i in Gran Turismo 4.

You will see some little indie games at 4k, no doubt, but I imagine most will be 1080p upscaled.

Upscaled 1080p is 4K in the same way several canoes are a yacht.

Assirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Of course they won't show it off.

That would mean people will wait for instead of buying the games now. They are probably not happy at all with the leak, it takes the wind completely out of the sales of the games coming out.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Should I get a ps4 now since all I want is their exclusives and weird japanese games? My PC is powerful enough for running everything on high or ultra already.

That's what I've done. My PC'll do the heavy lifting with most games with the PS4 there to pick up the slack, just like my PS3 was last gen.

I got a pretty good deal on the Destiny ltd edition bundle and while they might be a few quid cheaper next month, they'll not look as nice.

No Caption Provided

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#108  Edited By Brackynews

I just bought the DX11 upgrade of Dark Souls 2 and this feels a lot like that.

Except it's not eleven goddamn dollars.

khit92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm just gonna wait 2 years for the upgraded console that will make mine obsolete in 2 years.... forever 8)

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone without an Xbox One, PS4 or powerful PC it could convince me to go the Playstation route.

I certainly appreciate Microsoft's support for the PC platform but it is not going entice me into buying an Xbox One if I can play the same games on PC.

Getting a Neo though really depends on framerate, since the idea of being able to play current and future PS4 games at a higher framerate makes the PS4 platform much more attractive.

In the end it is about the games; Bloodborn and Horizon: Zero Dawn and The Last Guardian are the console's biggest selling point to me, but a higher framerate in multplatform and exclusive games would make it a much easier decision.

I guess 60 FPS in Dark Souls 3 is just too much to ask, but to me that is in addition to is humongous library what makes the PC so enticing that I almost don't care about the the PS4 exclusives.

I suppose I'll just have to patient and see how it actually pans out. Horizon wont be out before next year, by then we will probably know whether there is any meaningful reason to buy a Neo or whether it is just going to be a PS4 with a lot of underutilized hardware.

Graveworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If the current games are patched to run at least 1080p 60fps i will switch over. 4K machine should be able to handle that. Also they should give players an option between playing at 4k 30fps and 1080p 69fps

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.