Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

The PS4 "SHARE" Button: does anyone really care?

• 108 results
    Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think I'll rarely use it but I know every so often I'll find or cause something funny that I wish I caught because I know I wont be able to recreate the moment effectively. My only worry is that it'll be one more community for people who are playing something like Saints Row or Just Cause to spam the place with "lol hay guys! Look at how INSANE this game is!" when really they're not doing anything that outrageous in the context of the game and what's been done a thousand times before.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

How could you possibly know one way or the other at this point?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now people can share their "sick" COD videos and quick scoping videos easier.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way I will care is if the PS4 takes a video grab of the action ON SCREEN and shares it by uploading to YouTube. That way, more people can create walkthroughs or 'Let's Play' videos. But if the only thing that the share button does is take a video of YOU while playing then that is incredibly freaking creepy. I'm gonna stick a piece of paper on the camera lens just to be sure if that's the case. People are taking this facebook/twitter sharing stuff waayyyyy too seriously. And when 'suits' are making decisions about 'share' features.... Hmmm

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Zirilius

As long as the ease of viewing of videos for game from the dashboard/XMB/Share interface is as easy as the actually sharing of videos I am 100% down with this.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Cool idea in theory that I will never ever use. I don't want to share my gameplay and I don't want to watch someone else's.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By casper_

i think it could help develop/share some technology in FG's. instant combo videos and what not.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm personally not interested but a lot of weird glitches will pop up on youtube with this feature, that's for sure. That'll be fun to watch.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Anund

I can see myself using it for sure. And man, the people who don't want the feature sure sound almost pissed it's even an option for the rest of us. Why?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Feels a bit gimmicky. I immediately thought it could be a cool way to share when some random ass thing happens in a game, like the video options in halo 3. When you do an awesome kill streak or something completely ridiculous happens. I can't think of that many games that were shown that lend to that sort silliness. Would be great for something like GTA. It definitely doesn't feel like an important enough feature to warrant it's own physical button. I won't be suprised if they change the functionality of that button to make it more contextual, so you can use it as a chat button or something like that.

I feel like the important thing of all this is just the fact it shows Sony is making a big effort/commitment to connectivity. This could be some of their plan. I mean if it appears you can hit a button to share gameplay, surely anything else relating to communication and connectivity will be covered in spades.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By phantomzxro

If it worked more like a video chat room or spectator room where you can chat with the person i could see that being pretty cool. Even if its just to let your buddy see and try out a new game before they go out and buy it. Also their are some games that are better suited just more purely on a spectators stand point. For example if your friend is a monster at street fighter or Call of duty and he could set his game to public viewing for people on his friends list, you could pop in and see how he plays. That seems pretty neat.

For saving video it really depends but i say it could be cool. It reminds me of playing black ops and being able to save your games and watch them was a pretty cool feature that i grew to like when you did something awesome or something crazy happened. So if you can do that with all games at anytime that would be awesome. I could also see people making in house guides or walkthroughs of games on their profile page or wherever these things are stored.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for bugs and silliness; but another gimmicky console launch thing. It doesn't need to be a button.

platina32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt a lot of people will use it, but at least Sony tries to go with the times. I don't mind a button on my joystick that I never use. As long as the joystick isn't full of those buttons, that is.

RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RustySanderke

More features are nice, but having a dedicated button on a controller for a feature only a tiny minority would frequently use is just silly.

Holding the playstation or options button to have it pop up would suffice.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

If they present an interface that allows me to quickly look through other people's recordings, fuck ya this is a useful feature.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Looks like a killer feature to me, and I usually hate social shit in games. I think people are missing the point. Sure Sony said the buzz-word "Social" when describing it but, they didn't use it in the Social (al la facebook,twiiter) kind of way. Its a new form of Social interaction between gamer's. Being able to quickly share a weird glitch, a killer combo, or a kill streak is a pretty neat Idea and that's not even getting into some of the other features like screen sharing(letting your friend take over) or broadcasting for just your select group of friends. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft try's the same shit, its a neat Idea.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#67  Edited By reckless_x

I'm excited to see how other people use it, rather than myself.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By Gruebacca

There's been many times where I've wanted to capture something awesome, funny, or messed up without knowing it was coming. It's like watching a movie, watching the part with explosions and shit, and then rewinding it to see it again, and I'm glad there's an option for something like that coming to video games that not only does that but also takes a video with it that you and your friends can watch later if you guys so wish. It's like Steam screenshots but with videos instead of pics.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Have you ever heard of "Let's Play"?

It's rather popular these days...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It seems like I watch about 30 youtube personalities from the professional gaming sites to the independent gamers of various stripes So, there being some level in between 'service' where a person who doesn't want to buy a $$$ capture device can put up one or two video a week I think that is great.

If you are not into the 'game capture' scene I supposed it seems weird to watch people play or review games, but it happens about a bajillion times a day. This system seems even easier then even the CoD system, which is only about three or four steps.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may rarely use it, but if it's there to make my life easier when I need a feature like that, then I say it's a good thing!

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how it's implemented.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I will use it but I want to be proven wrong.

farmer100eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenebre said:

Although I doubt I would use it much, I think it's a nice idea and inclusion. I mean, how many times have we experienced some crazy moments in games like Skyrim or Saints Row and talked it over with friends, etc? Wouldn't it be nice to show them as well? Sure, it may not get much use from many of us in the end, but I feel it's nice to at least have the option.

And we are not being forced with all the social stuff. Sony has stated that although social aspects are their focus, it's optional.

Can't agree more! It's just a choice.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I may not use it much myself but I think it has the potential to be an extremely useful feature for anyone that wants to show off something in a game.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

PS4 Teagbagging in Destiny could now be a thing. ~ So, sure!

captaincool246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#77  Edited By captaincool246

Personally i think there are/will be better options for sharing large amounts of content like capture cards if your willing to spend some money, but for free quick sharing it looks promising, there's still too much unknown about it to really know if it's any good and if it can compete with some of the capture cards out there, i tend to doubt if it can or not but we'll see.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll use it once to see that it actually works and than probably never will after that. Something would have to be pretty amazing for me to feel like I have to edit a clip and share it.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably use it with my friend since him and I always want to share videos but for some reason it seems more difficult to do so on the PS3. So this will just make it easier. Plus him and I don't get to hang out all the time and if he wants to show me something, he could use it for that.

I hope there is cross game chat for the PS4 dammit.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can see how-n00bs-Play :D

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

The PS4 "CARE" Button: Does anyone really share?

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never use it. I hope i can reassign it.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't think it adds much, I mean most gameplay videos are pretty lame without commentary if they aren't highlighting some short silliness. At the end of the day I think the only real difference it will make is more obnoxious Facebook/Twitter spam from games and kids using direct feed footage for their "SYCK NOSCOPE MONTAGE" instead of camcording it.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it and used it often when it was in Onlive. Now, since it's being improved on I'll most likely use it even more.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Darji

I would have cared uch more if it were twitch.tv and not ustrean, But the idea is very interesting f you even can earn money with it. I would never do it but there are a lot of people who love to broadcast. I just love to watch.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People love recording and sharing these days so this will serve that well. I don't really know how long this trend will last though, or if it will keep on going.

As long people are still alive, people will still record and share what they have seen or done.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#88  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think it's a great idea. Yeah, the people doing YouTube commentary and quick looks right now aren't going to switch over to using the Share button, but I still think there's room for a lot more people to share good gaming content that aren't now, and I think the Share button could help thousands of other people who would never normally share content, do so.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could be a pretty cool feature. Imagine being able to send things to people in your contact list like a screenshot for example after doing something cool.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BradBrains

its important because it shows that the playstation is making efforts to be more in tune with a very internet centric world. I wont ever use it but these kinda things shows that there going in the right direction imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-586642a039045
    deactivated-586642a039045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really enjoyed playing the real guitar game "Rocksmith" on the console and uploading to YouTube & then sharing those songs with my facebook friends, if they ever make a "Rocksmith 2" for the PS4 then I would definitely like to be able to show off my guitar skills with it. It would be great as well to arrange a little "Rocksmith 2" gig on UStream where friends could offer me song requests to play next. Outside of music games though, I'm less sure, it could be a lot of UStream channels with a lot of people having "people watching" as zero!

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care about that stuff at all but im sure some people will use it.

utamaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any friends so of course not. This social media mumbo jumbo real names on the internet deal is some fad just like that internet thing that blew over some years ago.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the upload replays feature in the NHL games all the time, well when it works and I can actually get a replay of the play I want, so this should certainly eliminate any of the issues I have with that. It's not an amazing feature but its one of those nice extra touches type features.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IDK, and if you really are interested in recording yourself play, probably better off with a PC as things like FRAPS have been around for years that let you record as much as you like in the press of a button at any time. Why fuck around with a closed system for things like that is beyond my understanding.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

For me it's like cloud saves. I'll likely never use them, but it's nice to know it's there in case I do someday.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By StrikeALight

Depends what they do with it. Could lead to something pretty cool.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure yet. I'll got out on a limb here and say they would probably build upon this feature one way or another.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#99  Edited By Tarsier

the share button was a big part of the reason ive given up on console gaming.

i think its an illustration of sonys mindset as a corporation.. where they think their 'market' is , and what they feel the 'next generation' is about.. its not as offensive as how nintendo destroyed our childhoods disney style with the Wii and Wii U, but it is enough to make me lose almost complete interest in the next gen consoles. watching the conference thing for me was one elongated facepalm that started out harmless and ended up with me having to go to the emergency room to get my hand surgically removed from the inside of my skull.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The share button makes for so much fun reading on the internet I'm grateful they put it in there.

I'm going to use the share button as a "lol wtf just happened bug out" button if I'm not capturing whatever through my HDMI capture kit, but dear lord there's going to be petabytes of uninteresting dull shit uploaded that not even a youtuber would want to watch - on the very first day of the PS4s release. It's hard to find actual informative videos on youtube about games because of all of these 15nanoseconds of fame wannabes and metoos. If I were to make a lets play it would be an informative documentary piece on something unique and interesting, I guess I should get to work on that and show people how it's done, add a few hundred megabytes of thoughtful informative material into the heap of shit that's growing at the pace of the universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.