Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

What are the best indie games on PS4?

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By jamin

With all this talk about The Witness it got me thinking what do you think are some great indie titles on the PS4 or ones that have yet to come? What I have so far: Gone Home, Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, The Witness, Nidhogg, Transistor, Bastion, Rime, Hyper Light Drifter, and Journey.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

There's at least one half decent indie game each month on PSN Plus.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I am stupidly fond of Mercenary Kings. That game had some great ideas. Rocket League, Rogue Legacy (and Galaxy), Grim Fandango (debatable if it's an indie, but whatever), Book of Unwritten Tales 2, and Worms are all pretty great too.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Let's say:

• Rocket League
    • The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
    • Transistor
    • Journey

My love/hate relationship with Nuclear Throne continues as well. Gone Home is great, but I played it on PC. I assume it is exactly the same. Likewise, playing The Witness on PC and that game seems like it is pretty great. I'm only about 7 hours in though.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm excited for Cosmic Star Heroine. It looks like the proper Phantasy Star sequel that we all deserve.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: Never even heard of that I'll check it out.

Has anyone checked out Saturday Morning RPG?

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

Rocket League is pretty great

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@sparky_buzzsaw: Mercenary Kings is totally competent, nothing to be ashamed of there. It's not incredible but a fun game with a shitload of stuff to do.

Hand of Fate is really excellent.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nuclear Throne

Journey

Rocket League

Binding of Isaac

Towerfall

Nidhogg

Resogun

Guacamele: Super Turbo...blah blah extra nacho cheese addition

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Oh man, Super Time Force is a ton of fun! That game is so great and stands out to me as an intuitive game done right. It only becomes more fun as you unlock more characters with different abilities.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mathj

dust an eliysian tail, guacamelee..limbo, the swapper, terraria, outlast, spelunky, rogue legacy, galak-z..

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will second Terraria and Rocket League.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LeStephan

@jamin724: yeeeeaaaars ago on iOs, I thought it was a pretty fun but basic Mario&Luigi rpg styled episodic game based around fake 80s cartoons. Theres some scratch&sniff sticker stuff in there that used the touchscreen aaaaand thats about what I remember. I played it back when I used to buy and play at least like 10 iOs games a week(kept that up for a couple of years until my ipod became useless due to irreversible updates that made it slow as fuck, thanks apple), people always bitch there are no decent game experiences on iOs but there are actually literally hundreds of em made by enthusiastic amateurs who dont even think about business bullshit and I remember thinking this was one of the better ones. (at least, there used to be, it was fairly early in the appstores life and last I checked apple already deleted like a 100 games I owned from the server with no way to redownload so fuuuuuuck them.)

Looks like were still missing plenty of games on psn here in europe btw (or in the netherlands at least). No gone home yet, hyper light drifter, smrpg,necrodancer and probably more Im not aware.....

Anyways, Id definitely recommend:

Hands of fate , combat was as meh as expected but the vibe and the cardstuff are really delightfull.

GalakZ, if you like games that are just a goddamn pleasure to controll due to amazing physics this is the shit for you mah man. It really felt like a next gen retro game to me, as in what if games like asteroids would've kept on getting better and better. Man this game just FEELS sooo good, its really noticeable Jake and the team spend years tweaking the controls to perfection.

Nuclear throne, If you even remotely like dual stick shooter you should get this... Unless you dont like challenge. It also still has plenty of bugs on ps4 and even though I trust vlambeer will fix most of it there havent been any patches yet.

SOMA is the coolest philip k dick novel ive ever played.

And of course the usual suspects like rogue legacy and spelunky etc.

Oh and does pinball arcade count? That is pretty fucking cool too, except for the prices of the tables and the fact that they cant seem to patch the fucking audio bugs on the ps4 version. And I cant acces one of the pro tables that came with the last season which they still apparently cant fix after it being out for more than a year. Besides that though, man its the best fucking pinball outside of the real physical world.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 24

Well, I don't know, probably Journey, it's the only one I played on my PS4 and it runs way better than it did on my PS3. As for most of those you mentioned, played those on my PC.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jamin724: What do you consider indie? Are games that were funded by Sony, even though they aren't first party, indie?

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Broken Age, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture*, Hotline Miami, Hohokum*, Nova-111, OlliOlli, Race the Sun, SOMA, Sportsfriends, SteamWorld Dig, Jackbox Party Pack 1 & 2, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Thomas Was Alone, Three Fourths Home. Firewatch very soon.

*Kinda indie

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g: Sure as long as you feel the developer had a lot of the creative control and Sony didn't say "you need this in your game".

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I question whether most of the titles people are putting forwards are indie? Or rather if indie means anything on consoles specifically.

I think indies lasted for six month in 2013 for consoles, and every made since July of 2013 has been just been a small game with credit that run to 50 people instead. Sure, itys not that of the 800 people seen in the credits of a "triple-a effort" published game, but indie on a consoles ISN'T three guys in a garage. I'm not knocking these games....they are great. But I think indie no longer means INDEPENDENT, it means extremely dependant on publishers; so that five to twenty people can knock out a game code, art, and systems while not taking five years.

So, maybe we should be calling these games "Dependy". What do you say we start calling these small games as being part of the Dependy movement?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.