Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Home

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Dec 11, 2008

PlayStation Home was a social games network where PSN users could play games and socialize. Home saw a refocus in Fall 2011 in North America and Europe that put more emphasis on games than social spaces.

1.35 update finally make it better?

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ocdog45

so has anybody been on home since this update that was suppose to make it better. I think its a lost cause but at least they are supporting it and the community that still does home.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ninjakiller

Wait....people use home?

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @ninjakiller said:
    " Wait....people use home? "
    Of course, the homeless do.
    rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By rjpelonia

I actually simply deleted it some months ago.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Jadeskye

Holy shit, home still exists?! O_o

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By carlthenimrod

LFG bowling

Winterblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Winterblink

The initial loading is still long as hell, however zoning once you're in Home is noticeably faster.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy

I think a total redesign and change of concept is what Home needs to be interesting and make me want to go there more than once for 10 minutes.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @xyzygy said:

" I think a total redesign and change of concept is what Home needs to be interesting and make me want to go there more than once for 10 minutes. "

And minus the 50 male avatars grouping harassing any female avatar. 
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stephengotlost

I was part of the Home-hating bandwagon until I tried the Buzz trivial room.
    It is so hilarious because there are like 50 people in the room and everyone walks on the answer they choose. Most of all, when you walk defiantly towards the wrong answer, you'll usually get a couple of indecisive followers.

The whole thing is like a hilarious social experiment.

Not to mention the terrible, terrible user-created quizzes.

5 Stars

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Home lol

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Andorski

The only way to make Home better is the abandon the whole concept and use those resources to get some cross-game voice chat.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

So... Some people haven't deleted it yet?

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By drowsap

I still cant believe they still call it a beta maybe the update will just take beta out of the name lol

Winterblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Winterblink

It amazes me HOW active it is, but there's a couple of minigames here and there that aren't too bad.  Nothing I would *pay* for mind you, but still.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

I can't think of anything that beats, or even comes close to Home in the "Fail of the Generation" category.

Even if somehow they made it okay, I can't see me ever going back in to find out.

Winterblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Winterblink

The original vision was actually somewhat interesting. Back when Phil H. was on board, Home was more of a virtual environment than the virtual three-ring circus it is today. Central Plaza looks like someone just took all the little bits of crap they built for various events and didn't want to waste, and threw it all together in one noisy obnoxious zone.  It's supposed to be a central hub area, but it's the one place I avoid going into at all costs.  

Also the planned integration with the Playstation.com website was really interesting, creating almost like a PlaystationBook type of social page. Yes, one MORE social tool is annoying, but it was neat seeing a demo of Phil snapping a photo during a keynote, uploading that to the portal site, and having that appear live in the picture frame in Home.  Not sure why they shelved all of that in favor of the current style of service, but I guess this is easier to administer and manage.

mrcellophane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By mrcellophane
    @Winterblink said:
    " The original vision was actually somewhat interesting. Back when Phil H. was on board, Home was more of a virtual environment than the virtual three-ring circus it is today. Central Plaza looks like someone just took all the little bits of crap they built for various events and didn't want to waste, and threw it all together in one noisy obnoxious zone.  It's supposed to be a central hub area, but it's the one place I avoid going into at all costs.    Also the planned integration with the Playstation.com website was really interesting, creating almost like a PlaystationBook type of social page. Yes, one MORE social tool is annoying, but it was neat seeing a demo of Phil snapping a photo during a keynote, uploading that to the portal site, and having that appear live in the picture frame in Home.  Not sure why they shelved all of that in favor of the current style of service, but I guess this is easier to administer and manage. "
    Not to mention that they seemed to have planned trophy integration back in '08 - that would have been a great step on the road to making Home actually interact with other parts of the PlayStation 'experience', rather than being 'Just another chat service with produt placement'. Too bad they scrapped it.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By agentboolen
    @xyzygy said:
    " I think a total redesign and change of concept is what Home needs to be interesting and make me want to go there more than once for 10 minutes. "
    Considering how long it took to make it I"m doubting we'll get a redesign this gen rofl.
    mrcellophane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By mrcellophane
    @agentboolen said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Considering how long it took to make it I"m doubting we'll get a redesign this gen rofl. "
    Staying on the topic, let's just for fun brainstorm on what improvements a redesign would need.  I'll start: 
    - Jumping and climbing! Ideally, if Home could implement the climbing mechanics of The Saboteur or inFamous (though obviously on a smaller scale), I would probably be using it a lot more - just think of climbing on top of a skyscraper to find a couple of dudes and join in on their discussion. 'd be awesome. 
    - Also, I'd really look forward to faster servers. The loading/downloading every time you have to enter an area is just sheer annoyance 
    - Oh, and get me a fucking haircut with long hair! How come the longest hair on a male avatar goes to his shoulders? I can't depict myself in this! 

Disclaimer: It's been months since I last was on Home, and have no idea what's happening there
    Winterblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Winterblink
    @MrCellophane said:
    Staying on the topic, let's just for fun brainstorm on what improvements a redesign would need.  I'll start: - Jumping and climbing! Ideally, if Home could implement the climbing mechanics of The Saboteur or inFamous (though obviously on a smaller scale), I would probably be using it a lot more - just think of climbing on top of a skyscraper to find a couple of dudes and join in on their discussion. 'd be awesome. - Also, I'd really look forward to faster servers. The loading/downloading every time you have to enter an area is just sheer annoyance - Oh, and get me a fucking haircut with long hair! How come the longest hair on a male avatar goes to his shoulders? I can't depict myself in this!  Disclaimer: It's been months since I last was on Home, and have no idea what's happening there "
    Area zoning is much much faster.  The initial load time's about the same, but at least they've cleaned up the world map and turned it into a XMB-style display that's a million times faster and easier to navigate.

They've also done a pretty good job at giving a ton of freebies, almost every area has something that will give you some free items.  The newer Irem space has a ton of free items and stuff to wear and put in your apartment.  Other game-specific areas have a lot of items to give, and it seems that developers are finding some interesting ways to give them to you.  Some of the newer games are actually quite interesting to play.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @Winterblink: 
    Thanks, this thread was becoming a "hey lets speak about home has changed without having been there since the initial launch when millions of people destroyed the servers." Home always seemed interesting in the way they had free games, but I currently have to many downloaded games to even install it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.