Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

One way PSN is better then X-box Live

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

So for those who want to call me a fanboy know that I've owned a PS3 since Winter 2007 and still have spent half my gaming time on 360.

I have borrowed my friends X-box on many occasions since I got my PS3. I borrowed it to play Forza 3. (70 hours). I borrowed it to play Gears of War 2. I borrowed it to play Comic Jumper and a whole host of games I could not play on my PS3 and games that were better on 360. So I know a lot about the system. One thing I didn't know about though was actually purchasing games on Live to play. My friend and I have such similar tastes that most of the downloadable games I wanted to play he had already purchased for himself. On this occasion I wanted to purchase two games for myself. (We've swapped systems for a more extended period of time. He wants to play Infamous 2 and LA Noire). So, unlike PSN were you just put in your credit card and pay money from that card Microsoft makes you buy points. I already know from my conversations with 360 users the stupidity of it. Even the most crazy fanboy will admit the stupidity of that. What I didn't know was that you have no real opportunity to zero out the points. You can only buy points in certain increments. Imagine to my surprise were I was 180 points short on a purchase and the only way for me to get what I wanted was to pay $5.00 for 400 points. On PSN if a similar situation happened, which why would it since you don't have to buy points, it just takes the remaining amount from your credit card. That's not the worst of it though. When I went looking to see what I can buy for that remaining amount of points I saw it was all shit. Avatar clothes. Really? That's it? All I can do with that is buy Avatar clothing essentially? There isn't even DLC I can buy to zero out my points. I created a new account for this system. I purchased a month subscription to Live so I would get the full experience. These points cannot be transferred to my friends account and I can't zero them out.

Why doesn't Microsoft fix this and why don't you 360 users make more of an issue of this. It's fucking robbery.

bslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By bslayer

it's how microsoft makes more money. you can buy some indie games like breath of death vii or save those remaining points for  some upcoming game.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By imsh_pl
    @mikey87144 said:

Why doesn't Microsoft fix this and why don't you 360 users make more of an issue of this. It's fucking robbery.

Oh yeah, being unable to spend 2 bucks worth of points.

Fucking robbery.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

very simple, once you make a purchase you're in their system.

For their part they do make it very easy to purchase things, it saves your credit card information, you choose how many points you want to buy just before you purchase the game then download it.

It feels a lot like steam to me, with a few more steps.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bumpton

I guess it'd be kind of annoying if it's not actually YOUR system and you're borrowing it, but this doesn't bother me in the least. I feel like my account naturally zeroes out every once in a while. I buy Rock Band songs and indie games fairly regularly though and those are both pretty cheap.
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Synthballs

You're a little late to the party with the complaints.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mylifeforAiur

It's free. That's one way.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Burns098356GX

Im pretty sure PSN also has something where you need to put like 2$ into your accounts wallet before you buy something.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Don't care. Because it means I have points cached up for the next purchase. They're not reset, or removed after some time, so it's not like I've lost it. They just remain invested. If you can call two bucks' worth of points an investment.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By krisgebis

If you don't even own an xbox 360, then why is your name green?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By flaminghobo
    @mikey87144: The points system was put in place for those who do not wish to associate credit cards with their LIVE accounts. It's a great idea for the most part, but I do agree that it is slightly annoying to have a small amount of points that you can't do much with. 

Also...@Krisgebis said:

If you don't even own an xbox 360, then why is your name green?

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpacePenguin

Ye Iv only got an X-box and I agree with you it so annoying wanted to buy a game for £15 but have to spend £20, but thats how they make a lot of their money so they would'nt change it. If it was like the way PSN does it I might but more games on XBLA.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @mikey87144 said:

I borrowed it to play Comic Jumper

lol what
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Don't really see a issue here.
    Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Anund

This, together with having to pay to play online is why I prefer PSN. I don't understand why people defend it. I guess it's a psychological thing, like an abused wife blaming herself and defending her husband. "He's not that bad, he never uses his fists", a.k.a. "It's only X amount of dollars, stop whining".

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @hckling said:

This, together with having to pay to play online is why I prefer PSN. I don't understand why people defend it. I guess it's a psychological thing, like an abused wife blaming herself and defending her husband. "He's not that bad, he never uses his fists", a.k.a. "It's only X amount of dollars, stop whining".

The fact that XBL is a far better service and doesn't treat Europeans like dirt is part of the reason, kid.
    Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Anund

@MysteriousBob said:

@hckling said:

The fact that XBL is a far better service and doesn't treat Europeans like dirt is part of the reason, kid.

But it's not perfect, is it pops? So why defend the obvious flaws?

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sirdesmond

@mikey87144 said:

It's fucking robbery.

Robbery: Voluntarily having your credit card charged for a pre-determined amount?

That said, it is a bit annoying but I'd still take XBL over PSN any day of the week.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Brendan

Starting a thread with telling people not to call you a fanboy usually means that you're not going to explain your points very well and that your arguments are going to come across as biased and underdeveloped.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf

@Brendan said:

Starting a thread with telling people not to call you a fanboy usually means that you're not going to explain your points very well and that your arguments are going to come across as biased and underdeveloped.

Hammer. Nail. Head.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By blueaniman93

I don't really care about this problem. Sure it might be annoying, but I've come to terms with it a long time ago,

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mikey87144

@Brendan said:

You didn't read my post.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kingzetta

PSN is free, X-box live is $60 per year.
    I like free better

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aus_azn
    @mylifeforAiur said:

It's free. That's one way.

It's every way.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Sooty

Until PS3 has cross game chat and the party system it won't hold a candle to Xbox Live. There are things PSN does that I prefer (not many) but it doesn't change the fact it is missing two incredibly awesome features.

Oh and PSN has garbage download speeds. I hope nobody steps in and says it's a problem with my connection because it really isn't.

and my 360 coloured username is just because I prefer the colour, I do prefer the PS3 overall but I have to go where the better features are, Xbox Live just happens to be it.

Edit: Microsoft points and avatars are two things I absolutely hate about the Xbox brand

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Oh s***, don't do that, the walls will start to collapse due to fanboy outcries...oh wait, i forgot, this is giantbomb.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mnzy

I acutally like the points because I can buy them whereever they are cheap (mostly the UK) and usually get games cheaper that way.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AltonBrown

VECTREX BEATS THE SHIT OUT OF THE MAGNAVOX ODESSEY FUUUCK

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mikey87144

So basically what you're saying is that it's OK for Microsoft to take some of my money for nothing. I know it a miniscule amount but on the PS3 I don't have that problem. If it costs 7 bucks I pay just 7 bucks. There is a $5 minimum but if I have money left over it's just added to my next purchase.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Animasta

you know what the best one is?

Steam

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144 said:

So basically what you're saying is that it's OK for Microsoft to take some of my money for nothing. I know it a miniscule amount but on the PS3 I don't have that problem. If it costs 7 bucks I pay just 7 bucks. There is a $5 minimum but if I have money left over it's just added to my next purchase.

Those points are also added to your next purchase. As someone who buys a lot of Rock Band songs, this is barely an issue for me. Sometimes I want a song and don't even have to add points.

As far as arcade games are concerned, they cost $5, $10, $15, or $20, and the point totals you can buy are $5, $10, $15, and $20.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mnzy
    @mikey87144 said:

There is a $5 minimum but if I have money left over it's just added to my next purchase.

So tell me Sherlock, what's the difference?
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @mikey87144 said:

So for those who want to call me a fanboy know that I've owned a PS3 since Winter 2007 and still have spent half my gaming time on 360.

I have borrowed my friends X-box on many occasions since I got my PS3. I borrowed it to play Forza 3. (70 hours). I borrowed it to play Gears of War 2. I borrowed it to play Comic Jumper and a whole host of games I could not play on my PS3 and games that were better on 360. So I know a lot about the system. One thing I didn't know about though was actually purchasing games on Live to play. My friend and I have such similar tastes that most of the downloadable games I wanted to play he had already purchased for himself. On this occasion I wanted to purchase two games for myself. (We've swapped systems for a more extended period of time. He wants to play Infamous 2 and LA Noire). So, unlike PSN were you just put in your credit card and pay money from that card Microsoft makes you buy points. I already know from my conversations with 360 users the stupidity of it. Even the most crazy fanboy will admit the stupidity of that. What I didn't know was that you have no real opportunity to zero out the points. You can only buy points in certain increments. Imagine to my surprise were I was 180 points short on a purchase and the only way for me to get what I wanted was to pay $5.00 for 400 points. On PSN if a similar situation happened, which why would it since you don't have to buy points, it just takes the remaining amount from your credit card. That's not the worst of it though. When I went looking to see what I can buy for that remaining amount of points I saw it was all shit. Avatar clothes. Really? That's it? All I can do with that is buy Avatar clothing essentially? There isn't even DLC I can buy to zero out my points. I created a new account for this system. I purchased a month subscription to Live so I would get the full experience. These points cannot be transferred to my friends account and I can't zero them out.

At least your credit card info is safe on LIVE....

BOOM 

/endthread.

....but yes Microsoft space bucks is pretty dumb.
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mikey87144

@mnzy said:

@mikey87144 said:

There is a $5 minimum but if I have money left over it's just added to my next purchase.

So tell me Sherlock, what's the difference?

1. It's actually $5, not the space bucks.

2. If I have $4.50 left in my account and something costs $7.00 then PSN just takes $2.50 from my credit card. On Live I have to buy 400 points. It doesn't just logically make up the difference. That's stupid. If I have the equivalent of $2 left in my account why should I then have to pay an additional $10 to buy something worth $8. Why not just take the equivalent of $6 bucks?

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#35  Edited By Grumbel
    @mikey87144 said:
    Yes, it is a fucking robbery and that is exactly why Microsoft doesn't fix it. It is designed to do exactly that, it's not a bug. It's like asking why a thief doesn't stop burglary and gets an honest job, well, the later one is actual work, the former one is easy money.

Why the Xbox360 users not complain? That's called cognitive dissonance, simply put, humans  don't like to be wrong, especially not in a situation where they can't really change anything (to buy XBLv stuff you have to buy points, even if you don't like it, there is no alternative), so instead of admitting that they are wrong, they develop excuses why they are right and thus in turn you here the bullshit excuses like "But's its only $2!", completely ignoring that $2 multiplied by all the XboxLive users is millions of dollar.
    Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both have their benefits and negatives. I think the errors from both offset the positives and negatives between them both and thus would declare them equal as far as I'm concerned. The biggest benefits of both is the free side of PSN, while the biggest element of XBL is the cross-game chat. If you want to go "there", then PS+ has a tremendous amount of benefits that make the cost per year worth it. Free games, content, whatever you like, while ponying up for the 360 Gold membership awards you nothing but what the PS3 has for free.

In my opinion, points are ridiculous as an obvious cashgrab, feels very exploitative. PSN has some wasteful things for sale but I enjoy that you're actually able to make separate purchases on items less than 50 cents, even if there's a minimum of funds allowed in your wallet. Being able to purchase lower-priced content allows you to not run into situations that are devised to have you be 60 or so points away from buying a game you want and have to buy the 400 points, with tax included. For my state at least, PSN doesn't charge tax on online purchases but 360 does.

Also, the download speeds on PSN being slow is not something I've experienced, in fact I find it just as fast as my 360 and I use wifi on my PS3.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mnzy

I very much prefer the points, because unlike so many other things I can actually buy them in the UK for example and the exchange rate is correct. Without that, we Euros would pay much more like we do with all other games and hardware

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#39  Edited By zidd

I figured this would be about PS+ Cloud storage and automatic patching. Thats why I love my ps3 more than my 360.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By ssj4raditz

There's no hyphen in Xbox! Stop it.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By hansolol

I heard that the reason so many companies do points is to save money. They're charged a fee every time you use your card. So if you buy $20 in points and make 4 transactions worth $5 each, that's 4 purchases but only 1 card swipe. It's win-win for them.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wickedsc3

Xbox 360 has been out for years and your complaining about this now? A little late to the party. There's nothing you can do about it, its the way it is. Oh wait maybe complaining on Giantbomb will convince MS to not make as much money as possible. Between renting on Zune, dlc, and indie games i have actually zeroed out my account a few times now. Bottom line people don't complain because it won't change.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pweidman

Total non-issue, let alone ancient history.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Microsoft points are stupid.

That said, you'd have to be incredibly fucking poor to actually care that your $2 is lingering. That doesn't even cover the cost of my morning coffee.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By louiedog
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

Microsoft points are stupid.

That said, you'd have to be incredibly fucking poor to actually care that your $2 is lingering. That doesn't even cover the cost of my morning coffee.

I don't think it's about being poor. He doesn't want that money back in his wallet so that he can buy food and otherwise he'll have to go without. It seems more like a compulsion that I've seen lots of gamers express that they have and I don't get it at all. Unless you plan on never making another purchase using points ever again, what does it matter? You just let the points sit there until the next purchase. 

I've seen people complain that they have 800 points, buy a 560 point piece of DLC, and then are left with 240 points. Instead of leaving it there for the next purchase, they insist that it be at zero so they buy some stupid avatar item or theme that they don't even want. Then, they repeat the same thing the next time they buy something that's not priced in a multiple of 400 points. If they bought two pieces of 560 points DLC and used up so-called leftover points each time they'd end up spending $20 instead of $15 and having another $1 sitting there. Now, if they really wanted those avatar items, themes, etc. then fine. But if they just did it to zero your balance, that's dumb. They act like Microsoft is forcing them to waste money when in fact they're doing it willingly.

Does the system suck? Yes, I'd rather also have the option to use a credit card on all purchases. However, I don't see it as a big deal. You shouldn't ever have more than a couple of bucks just sitting there until the next purchase so it's not like they'd be racking up insane interest if they were in your bank account instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.