Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network

Concept »

The online service used on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita.

More Details on Sony's Rumored Premium PSN Service

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

The internet has been bubbling with rumors about the hinted-at PSN premium service. This article on Destructoid reveals some possible features of said service, including:

• One-hour game trials.
    • Exclusive in-game content.
    • Unrestricted access to the PSOne Classics and Minis store.
    • Cross-game party chat a possibility.

The service (again, according to the information provided by the market survey) will cost between $29.99 and $69.99 a year, with some features being present only on the latter model.

I'm not sure how to react to this, honestly. Though my first instinct is to rejoice that PSN is finally getting the attention it deserves, there's a part of me that cringes at some of the features, most notably the exclusive in-game content. I imagine said content could easily be trinkets that don't really affect the player's experience of the game as a whole, but I'm still uneasy with the concept because I could also see this going in the other direction, and that's not something I think any PS3-owners want.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

The internet has been bubbling with rumors about the hinted-at PSN premium service. This article on Destructoid reveals some possible features of said service, including:

• One-hour game trials.
    • Exclusive in-game content.
    • Unrestricted access to the PSOne Classics and Minis store.
    • Cross-game party chat a possibility.

The service (again, according to the information provided by the market survey) will cost between $29.99 and $69.99 a year, with some features being present only on the latter model.

I'm not sure how to react to this, honestly. Though my first instinct is to rejoice that PSN is finally getting the attention it deserves, there's a part of me that cringes at some of the features, most notably the exclusive in-game content. I imagine said content could easily be trinkets that don't really affect the player's experience of the game as a whole, but I'm still uneasy with the concept because I could also see this going in the other direction, and that's not something I think any PS3-owners want.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By guiseppe

If "Unrestricted access to the PSOne Classics and Minis store" means all the games in those categories I want, then I'm all in for that.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AltonBrown

Like you, the in-game content is the only thing I'd have a problem with. PSN needs more attention if it wants to really compete with Xbox Live, and I'm sure a subscription service would help pay for infrastructure. It could be a sound business decision.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Hmm.  Not exactly the news I was hoping for, but I don't know exactly what the best-case scenario could be.
    SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SoothsayerGB

No.   Thats all very interesting.  But no.  I'm not paying another god damn subscription fee.  If Sony wants to make me pick between XBL and PSN.  Fine, I've made my choice already.

Edit: The main thing I loved about PSN, was that it was free.  No tricks.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By PufferFiz

Let me remind every one this is from a 3rd party survey. So nothing can come out of this as fact, so do not treat it as such.

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd pay for that.

The PS3 could do with a proper online service. I mean, Home? Life with Playstation? It's like the welcome channel in a hotel.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By xyzygy

One of this things I'm wondering about is how many people will actually buy this. Most people just have PSN to play games online - if that's not part of the subscription, how many people will actually get this? I mean, I don't really know anyone who would pay that much money just so they could play 10+ year old games. That's what emulators are for. 

The one-hour game trials seems kinda dumb to me. If you download a demo, you can play it for however long you want. However this implies that you get only one hour of playtime with the actual game. To me, as a slow gamer, I like to take my time at games and look at the environments, make sure I understand everything, just basically take it all in. The one hour trial would rush me and make me not get a full feel for the game. 

As for the exclusive content... will this get rid of DLC for games? I'm kind of confused on this part. It also depends on what type of exclusive content we're getting.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I'm curious how many people read the article. 

The online is free, regardless. Which is primarily a bulk of the reason people pay for Live. The cool things about it would be the catalogue of ps1 and psp games for download, the 1 hour game trials. 

But main point being, playing online = free. Everything else isn't necessary but some of it is kinda neat.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By End_Boss
    @PufferFiz said:

" Let me remind every one this is from a 3rd party survey. So nothing can come out of this as fact, so do not treat it as such. "

This is correct. My initial wording might have been misleading (though unintentional), so the post has now been edited to reflect that this is, at best, informed speculation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.