Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

Advice on buying a PSP?

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Was looking into getting a PSP for God of War, Monster Hunter, and a few other titles, my only problem is I don't know a whole lot about the PSP. I have a few questions to any PSP owners out there.
    Which is the best model to buy and why?
    How does the PSP store work, does the PSP link to a PC and you mess w/ files there or somehow directly go online?
    Is it worth waiting for the PSP-GO? Are games that are currently UMD only going to be added to the PSP store when the PSP-GO is released or will I be SOL for some games?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

The best model is probably the 3000 if you don't wany homebrew, for the built in microphone and the supposedly better screen.

The PSP store works straight from the PSP, although downloads go much faster if you want to do it through a computer.

If you think it's worth getting swindled by Sony you can wait, but otherwise I'd recommend a 3000 and a 16 gig memory stick.

They are planning to update the store with over 300 UMD games when the Go launches, supposedly.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

God of War on the PSP  is like a 2 hour game, and not fun at that. Monster Hunter is only fun if you have people to play it with, and I would just wait for the PSP Go. -_-

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

I'd recommend just getting the original PSP 1000, since it will be the cheapest to buy, or the GO, for the convienience (new adopters are exactly who Sony is going after with the GO).

The PSP uses USB to plug into your computer, where you can alter files and add your own programs. 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " God of War on the PSP  is like a 2 hour game, and not fun at that. Monster Hunter is only fun if you have people to play it with, and I would just wait for the PSP Go. -_- "
    Yeah, but there's good stuff on it too, like Katamari, Parappa the Rapper, Socom, Valkyrie Profile, Darkstalkers, and Tekken
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Pibo47

Honesty...the only games i have liked are the sphion filter stuff...and the patapons.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @AgentJ said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " God of War on the PSP  is like a 2 hour game, and not fun at that. Monster Hunter is only fun if you have people to play it with, and I would just wait for the PSP Go. -_- "
    Yeah, but there's good stuff on it too, like Katamari, Parappa the Rapper, Socom, Valkyrie Profile, Darkstalkers, and Tekken
    "
    Darkstalkers is not good.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    "
    Darkstalkers is not good. "
    Well then I apoligize for enjoying it. 
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Jayge said:
    "
    They are planning to update the store with over 300 UMD games when the Go launches, supposedly.
    "
    Seeing as how they've been putting out 3-4 UMD and PS1 classics, and maybe one or two downloadable originals, every week since E3, it doesn't seem so far off.

And in Japan they've even started putting out Turbografx-16 titles.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @AgentJ said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    "
    Darkstalkers is not good. "
    Well then I apoligize for enjoying it. 
    "
    YOU BETTER!
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wosifat

Was Darkstalkers that bad, and why?
    I'm thinking about maybe getting a PSP.  Dissidia and Persona look good, along with a few other games I wanna try for it, and I like that it plays music, videos, and that you can hook it up to a bigger monitor.  I've heard the 2000 has the best screen, and it actually went downhill with the 3000.  The PSP Go's price is a barrier for me, but I may pick up a used older one.  You can still download all the newer downloadable content to Memory Stick, right?

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By PercyChuggs
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    Uh...it's more than 2 hours long, and it's exactly the same as the PS2 games, only you use the R trigger to dodge instead of the second stick. OP, don't trust this guys opinion of God of War PSP, trust the dozens of real reviews that loved it.

Jeanne D'Arc. Crimson Gem Saga. Daxter. Resistance Retribution.
    Benjaminvdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Benjaminvdv

Or how about the Burnouts, Disgaea and many many more. There are lots of great games on it.

Anyway the PSP Go is obviously a option, though it costs more, but I do like how it looks. Ofcourse the PSP phat (first model) is great if you want to put custom firmware on it if you want to play your old PS1, Snes, Nes, Megadrive etc etc games on it, and otherwise there is the PSP 3000. In all honesty you can't really go wrong with any of them.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb

The PSP Go may be being charged at a surplus, but I'd certainly save up for it if you're after a genuinely portable console. The biggest problem I have with the PSP is that it won't fit in pockets very easily and as such defeats the whole ethos of portable gaming. Alas, if you're not worried about that and you want to save cash, perhaps get the PSP 1000 off eBay -- but I mean overly if you want to take this seriously either get the Go or the 3000.

They're aiming to put pretty much every PSP title on the Playstation Store by the time the Go releases, so you'll want a nice big memory stick whichever model you opt for (unless you get the Go which comes with 16GB on board).

God Of War Chains Of Olympus is an excellent choice -- the game is short but excellent fun.

You can access the Playstation Store through your PSP, Playstation 3 or PC - so there are a lot of options for downloading content. The PSP Go will come with improved software for your PC making copying music and games a bit easier -- but it's certainly not rocket science in its current state.

Other games I'd recommend: the Wipeout games, Resistance Retribution, Outrun, Tekken, the GTA games, the Patapon games and Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.