Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

More naked profiteering on PSP Go! in Europe

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

As if $249 wasn't already expensive, add on our 15% VAT tax here and that is $286, which somehow becomes £229.99 (Despite being £173.40 at current conversion)

Certainly doesn't cost £57 to ship it here, shipping costs to the EU are actually cheaper than getting it to the states from its manufacturing location. I also refuse to believe that having to include additional languages (which are included by default, or were with the original PSP anyway, and seeing as it presumably runs the same, if not very similar firmware, there should be no costs here whatsoever)

So yeah, "fuck you europe" direct from Sony. And i'm sure a swift "Up yours Australia" and wherever else is going to follow very soon.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Cerza

Isn't this why everyone in Europe was importing the PSP from Japan/China through Lik Sang all those years ago? Since the PSP is region free so it doesn't matter what regions PSP you get and it was cheaper to do that than buy a domestic one in Europe, because the people who do the price structuring for this stuff are morons, right?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

Andrew House directly said that they'd marked the price of the PSP Go up because people will always buy new hardware. Now we all know that's what happens in any company, but you shouldn't really admit it.

But yes it is expensive. I'm getting to a point where I might reconsider it at the moment. I just feel like by this time next year they'll be at like £150. Or perhaps they'll have one with more space.

I just don't know if I can hold out that long.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail

We PALs are getting used to shit like this.

herreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By herreno
    @Snail said:
    " We PALs are getting used to shit like this. "
    Yeah  i was expecting this sort of price tbh.

....*sigh*
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Cerza said:
    "Isn't this why everyone in Europe was importing the PSP from Japan/China through Lik Sang all those years ago? Since the PSP is region free so it doesn't matter what regions PSP you get and it was cheaper to do that than buy a domestic one in Europe, because the people who do the price structuring for this stuff are morons, right?"

Yeah this is all happy and fine if you live in America or Asia.

But after Sony fucked up the Euro release of the PS3 they decided instead of fixing things by releasing it, they would instead impose a worldwide ban on the import of their products to Europe, so now major import retailers will not ship sony licensed products to Europe for fear of legal action from Sony. So, while I was fortunately able to get Devil Summoner 2 (PS2 no longer requires sony licensing to produce games for) people in Europe cannot get PSP products or games outside of eBay and incredibly high prices (even then sometimes auctions get de-listed because of complaints from Sony)
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail
    @Herreno said:
    " @Snail said:
    " We PALs are getting used to shit like this. "
    Yeah  i was expecting this sort of price tbh.....*sigh* "
    Hang in there PAL.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By meptron

Clearly, Sony does this because they HATE Europe. They make them pay more because of a personal vendetta. The executives of Sony sit around the boardroom all day discussing how much they hate Europians and how they're going to make you pay more. Then they laugh and say "fuck you, ya dirty bastards!"

But seriously, if your this upset, just don't buy Sony products. Then again, you wouldn't be this upset if you didn't want their stuff...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Meptron said:
    "Clearly, Sony does this because they HATE Europe. They make them pay more because of a personal vendetta. The executives of Sony sit around the boardroom all day discussing how much they hate Europians and how they're going to make you pay more. Then they laugh and say "fuck you, ya dirty bastards!"But seriously, if your this upset, just don't buy Sony products. Then again, you wouldn't be this upset if you didn't want their stuff... "

I don't want their stuff, but I maintain the right to be offended by their actions as a company.

I own a PSP and a PS2, but not a PS3 (yet, I fully intend to when the price is right) and have no intention of buying a PSP Go! even before the prices were announced I feel the product is completely outside of my interests. I also do not own any other Sony products, televisions, radios, etc, I find them incredibly overpriced for what they offer and go with cheaper alternatives, it's not that I refuse to purchase Sony products (Although I may if this keeps up, especially during a recession, they must think we are idiots)

I don't think they hate Europeans, I think we hate ourselves, much of Europe seems to have a huge amount of brand loyalty for anything Sony and Sony have taken as much advantage of this as possible in recent years, I mean just look at the PS3 in Europe, 6 month delay, unforgivable price difference, no backwards compatible model and it's still neck and neck with the Xbox for sales (only 1 mill behind) it's insane that we do this to ourselves.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By meptron
    @The_A_Drain:
    Sure, you have the right to be upset. But they are only doing what is right for their shareholders, which is their duty since they are a corporation. They think they can charge more in Europe and generate more profit and they are probably correct. There is a premium associated with the Sony brand worldwide because for the most part their products are extremely well made and reliable. If this brand recognition carries more weight in Europe, then that premium goes up.

If nobody buys the PSP Go! in Europe, or Sony thinks they could generate more profit by lowering the price, they will. Like you just said: you guys do it to yourselves.

Also, this attitude is hardly unique to Sony... any corporation will use brand popularity as leverage to increase price if they have the oppourtunity to do so (Apple, for example).
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meptron
    @The_A_Drain:

Hey The_A_Drain, you need an avatar pic for your forum posts.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Meptron:

Why? I like the default GB one :)
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us
    @The_A_Drain said: Hey man I'll take an "Up yours Australia" thats a slight improvement. Usually its more like bend down and grab your toes, I'm gonna show you were the wild goose goes.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @c1337us:

Yeah it's not good the way they treat PAL territories, especially considering we bring in more money than Japan and with certain products NA as well. Then again, maybe thats why :\
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By mracoon

Looks like I'm not going to get a PSP for an even longer time.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By c1337us

Well to be fair we dont really provide the money. Sure last time I checked the data Australia spent more per capita on the gaming industry in the world and PAL territories in general is very high. Thats fine for us to hang our hats on but when it boils down to pure bottom dollar figures we still dont rate. So it makes business sense to pander to the needs of your largest target.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Jayge: Every electronics company does that. The problem is that Sony straight up just admitted to it. In casrs such as this honesty is not the best policy. Guy should have just said "it represents excellent value for money" or something. Even though it's not true, it's better than telling us what we already know, i.e. the thing is expensive because there will always be people who will buy new stuff.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By JonathanMoore

Once again another fuck up by Sony, and another reason as to why I'm not picking up a PSP GO.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @Jayge: Every electronics company does that. The problem is that Sony straight up just admitted to it. In casrs such as this honesty is not the best policy. Guy should have just said "it represents excellent value for money" or something. Even though it's not true, it's better than telling us what we already know, i.e. the thing is expensive because there will always be people who will buy new stuff. "
    I know that they do that; but to have the blatant balls to go and say "well, there really is no reason to add an extra 80 dollars to the price tag, we just feel like it" on top of reports that the device is even cheaper to produce than the version of the product that costs so much less rubs me in a particularly wrong way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.