Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

Persona 3 Portable or Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VictoryBlixt

Ok so I have a really long train ride coming up and I need a good long rpg to settle into for this trip. I've narrowed it down to P3P or FFIV and I cant decide between the two. Some backround information is that  I'm not a huge JRPG guy and JRPGs and anime usually creep me out with their underage girls and womenly men. But FFIV is abstract enough for me to ignore that and I really enjoyed the P4 endurance run and could get past it's animeness there. I have played some six and enjoyed it, but my only experience with persona is the quick looks and endurance run. So can any one in the know help me out with this info in mind?

Thanks

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By WickedCestus

You should definitely play Persona 3, especially if you liked the Endurance Run. 

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By TepidShark

@supermike6: See I am a fan of the endurance run, so I thought I would play P3P & I am finding it incredibly boring so far.

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Devoid

If you're considering P3P, that better be one long-ass train ride.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MistaSparkle

P3P I've been thinking of getting it as well...dunno how much it is now though...

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

Unless you have some nostalgia for FF4 and really want to see it in higher resolution, you should probably go with the more modern P3P.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By subject2change

Persona 3. I need to play it again...maybe on my commute to work.

autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By autumn_thunder

As said, if you enjoyed the endurance run, P3P.  P3 is a bit more uneven in terms of when major events occur than P4 (you'll know what I mean), but P3P has made some noticeable improvements, such as letting you pass skills outside the Velvet Room.  Also, Tanaka social link. 
    FF4 is decent, but I don't think it holds up as well as people say, especially in comparison to FF6 and Chrono Trigger. 

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By norsedudetr

I'd say P3P, based on playing P3FES on PS2 (that is the geekiest sentence I have ever written), but be prepared for a different mood than P4. I think P3 is a fair bit darker, both graphically and thematically.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

P3P But boy be ready for a long ass persona start before you get into the meat of the game.

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @Autumn_Thunder: But isnt FFIV supposed to be one the best RPGs ever? Also my fear with Persona is that I wont enjoy it nearly as much with out funny commentary to go along with it. Also another question, How creepy will i feel playing this P3P?
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By geirr

First of all, stop feeling creepy, it'll help.

FF4 I think is for nostalgics, I loved the game 100 years ago but I got bored when playing it now. Too.. old!

P3P is loooong and kinda dark in a dorky way compared to P4 but I think it's worth experiencing if nothing else.

edit: Actually feel creepy, but ignore it, is what I meant!

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Mcfart

P3P.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WickedCestus
    @VictoryBlixt: I had the same thought about not enjoying it without the commentary, but it's really not that big of a deal. Also, if you feel creepy just because there are anime characters on your game system, you are either way too self-conscious or you have too low of a view on Japan. 
    VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @supermike6: Its not the fact that they are anime character it's the fact that a lot of the characters are underage girls and a major component of the game is having, mostly innocent, relationships with them. Also the fact that I will be playing the game in public right next to some stranger
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WickedCestus
    @VictoryBlixt said:
    @supermike6: Its not the fact that they are anime character it's the fact that a lot of the characters are underage girls and a major component of the game is having, mostly innocent, relationships for them. Also the fact that I will be playing the game in public right next to some stranger
    Do you really think that stranger is going to be looking at your screen and paying attention to what you are doing? And, second question, why do you give a shit about what this stranger thinks about what games you play? If he thinks you are a creepy raper man, let him; not only is he judging you based on something completely stupid, you're probably never going to see him again. If you want to play JRPG's you have to get past the fact that some people will think you are weird.
    Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maajin

Oh, God, if you buy FFIV I will punch you.

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @supermike6:  well besides that you can not deny that when you break that part of persona down then it is a bit creepy in concept
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I vote for P3P! But I have played through it vanilla P3 and P3FES. So I'm completely biased. You should know though it has moments where grinding is necessary to make it easy or to make it through 10 floors or so. It's very easy to rack up 100 hours on P3P.

FFIV is solid and probably like 20 hours or so. I still like it but the game has been hyped to hell and back. Some of the big moments are still memorable but the rest of the story just flies by.It basically feels like "hey here's a new character! Well bye! Oh another new character! Oh here's the end where everyone comes together." The last time I played it was on GBA. I can't speak for the cell phone quests added or the new quest.

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @the_hiro_abides:  That's what I'm worried about with FFIV because when I played through a chunk of FFVI the story lost a lot of it's impact due to the now really dated graphics. Like people talk about the scene where kefka poisons the river as being really powerful but when i got to that point I was tottally unaffected and it was pretty much akin to watching a really old monster movie, You know that it should be scary but it just looks like a guy in a suit now
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Sooty

P3P all the way. Slow start but much like Persona 4 it has a great cast of characters and is very funny.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sayishere

P3P is good and all, but if you are nit picking, i would recommend playing the PS2 version for the better experience. Although if you will never see yourself doing that, then i would say go for P3P, although be warned, its a long ass game, 70 hours roughly. You will probably end up playing it outside of your train journey.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By GunslingerPanda

P3. FFIV isn't very good.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Persona 3 has better combat, characters, and story. Also, it's a lot longer.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By coakroach

Tactics Ogre damn it!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By buft
    @VictoryBlixt: I had final fantasy complete collection and while its good it certainly didnt hold my attention for very long, the story just isnt what it used to be. i bought persona 3 portable a while back and honestly didnt like it because i didnt understand it but after watching 20-30 episodes of the endurance run and getting some "understanding " i decided to replay it and honestly as a guy like you who is normally creeped out by anime and creepy lolita ladies i was wary but i havent looked back im 34 hours in and about level 40, no end to the madness in sight and every new month adds some surprise and excitement to the story.
    VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VictoryBlixt

OK so it looks like the consensus is that Final Fantasy IV is only good if you have some nostalgia for it but goin in fresh it wont have the same mystique. And persona is a good game by today's standards. So my fear with persona is that it seems like the kind of game that you can shoot yourself in the foot and not know it until 20 hours later. So is persona 3 like that or will i be able to just play it by ear and be fine?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.