Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

PSP 2 (Rumour)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

IGN have spoken to reliable sources that confirm Sony is working on a sequel to the PlayStation Portable. It's said to boast input improvements, including dual thumbsticks and a widescreen multi-touch interface for both in-game control and navigation. The reports fall in line with a consumer survey recently sent out requesting what features players would like to see in new PSP hardware:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Sony refused to comment on speculation with the standard: "We can't comment on rumors or speculation."

Thoughts?.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

They fucking better.

I have heard them come out and say many times tho in recent history that there are no plans at all for a new psp. "Psp will go for 10 more years" - shit like that.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

As if it wasn't going to have a touch screen.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

Touch screens are overrated. I don't want to sit there and poke at my screen and get oils all over it. There's nothing wrong with buttons.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By pause422

I don't want a touch screen at all. if one is on it though, it better not be for gameplay, only other uses. I just want basically the psp that we have now, maybe if you could pack a bit more power in it, do that(if not its completely fine, its already great,) and just fucking add a second stick! That's all it needs.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yea, it was always a certainty.

It will be interesting to see how they include the thumbsticks into the design, without ruining the aesthetics an portability.

Avatar image for optimusprime223
    optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By optimusprime223

I think they need to actually get some decent games onto that system before they start pissing about with the hardware...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    optimusprime223 said:
    "

I think they need to actually get some decent games onto that system before they start pissing about with the hardware...

"

That goes without saying, anyway, this is a new PSP not another revision of the first.

It's the hardware that has pissed on the games to a large degree, the control input has stunted the machine and has created negative ramifictions for the software being made. Of course there are other issues with the existing hardware, like the battery life. This new PSP will certainly address that I think, new battery technology has come a very long way on the evidence of this years CES. You can be sure Sony will take advantage of that new awesome technology. They may possibly even include Wireless Recharge.
    Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Aaron_G

I really don't care. The PSP 2 would need actual games before I went out and bought one.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By penguindust

Dual analog sticks would be the key improvement, in my opinion.  But Sony is saying it's a no go, and under this current economy, I don't see them taking a chance on a new portable system.  It was recently announced that they plan to slash 16,000 jobs from the company, and while that may not include many from the games division, http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-job-cuts-unlikely-to-affect-games-division, I still don't see them investing in a new product this year.  Nice idea, but unlikely for the foreseeable future.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Steve_C

I'd be interested to see it. With two analog sticks and a touchscreen, it should be more open to different games. Perhaps some DS style games would come to the PSP, since it's got the touchscreen, and more powerful hardware to run on. I imagine it would bring more software support from third party developers.

Still by this time, the DS 2 or whatever might be out too, and it could end up being the same story as the original PSP.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Gizmo said:
    "Sony dismisses IGN PSP 2 rumours, disses IGN"

lol, what is the deal with these Sony reps!, they ruin Sony's image consistently within the gaming press. Claiming it's nonsense, is nonsense imo, why not give the official line of no comment and leave it at that. Everyone knows how the PSP needs to improve, and the introduction of those new features listed are standard expectations for the next PSP.

Anyway, I cannot see them introducing a new Portable this year, but I do think they may reveal one at the tail end of this year. Nintendo are not going to jump in with anything new anytime soon, so next year would be a prime time for Sony to leap in with fresh and better featured that developers will appreciate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.