Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

Sony prepping PSP2? In depth look at

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

I'm sure a predecessor to the current line of PSPs is in place, but I won't bet on it being released this year. With talks of the PSP-4000s (unless that has been confirmed), I doubt the would also release a whole new handheld in that same year. Then again, I think Sony was pretty bat-shit crazy when it came to updating the PSP time-and-time again.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Snail

I hate going into rumors of possible future consoles.

1- The images keep me longing for something like it, even though it might not be like it.
    2- I learned my lesson with the speculation for this gen.

Nuh-huh.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By shadows_kill

i dont think its coming this year since they did announce motorstorm, resistance, assassins creed, and rockband all on the psp recently (well resistance at e3) i think they would have made those release titles for the psp2 instead of putting them on the psp..

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Karmum
    shadows_kill said:
    "i dont think its coming this year since they did announce motorstorm, resistance, assassins creed, and rockband all on the psp recently (well resistance at e3) i think they would have made those release titles for the psp2 instead of putting them on the psp..
    "
    Assuming Sony would take the route of announcing their next handheld this year, these games could be the "swan songs" if you will of the first PSP, and make their way to the downloadable market as well. Just my own speculation, but I doubt this would be the case. You just don't announce several new (and somewhat big, in my opinion) games for your handheld device. Especially since before the announcement, 2009 seemed a bit lackluster for the PSP.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jayge_

The lineup for this year is seemingly too strong to release a new one at the end of the year. That, and the fact that people are running around going "download only will be da way to go lololol" in conjunction with this rumor makes it even dumber. If Sony wants to destroy the PSP as a possible legacy handheld line, it'll make the PSP2 download only.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By shadows_kill

i think if they announce this year it would be released in 2010 or '11 since i do agree those games are big announcements. but whenever its released im hoping it will play psp games (havent got a psp yet and most likely i wont and i would like to play some of them)

also hush i bookmarked your blog.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By PufferFiz

Yea I really doubt it will come out this year.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Jayge said:
    "The lineup for this year is seemingly too strong to release a new one at the end of the year. That, and the fact that people are running around going "download only will be da way to go lololol" in conjunction with this rumor makes it even dumber. If Sony wants to destroy the PSP as a possible legacy handheld line, it'll make the PSP2 download only.
    "
    Well, I think that they may even make a UMD-less PSP, but then go hardcore with getting every single PSP game up on the PlayStation Store.

Frankly, digital is way better for portable gaming.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Karmum said:
    "I'm sure a predecessor to the current line of PSPs is in place, but I won't bet on it being released this year. With talks of the PSP-4000s (unless that has been confirmed), I doubt the would also release a whole new handheld in that same year. Then again, I think Sony was pretty bat-shit crazy when it came to updating the PSP time-and-time again.
    "
    Well, Nintendo does the same thing and it works for them. =P
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "Jayge said:
    "The lineup for this year is seemingly too strong to release a new one at the end of the year. That, and the fact that people are running around going "download only will be da way to go lololol" in conjunction with this rumor makes it even dumber. If Sony wants to destroy the PSP as a possible legacy handheld line, it'll make the PSP2 download only.
    "
    Well, I think that they may even make a UMD-less PSP, but then go hardcore with getting every single PSP game up on the PlayStation Store.

"
    If they did, it would be a ridiculously stupid move. The digital market isn't nearly large enough to support any kind of move like that. The system will probably support strong PSN integration and downloads, but the entire base market still needs to be grounded on physical media. With flash memory being ridiculously cheap, it would be easy to fit larger-than-possible-on-UMD games onto flash carts and still maintain a price range of $30-40. The new PSP definitely shouldn't have a UMD drive, but it definitely won't go download only. Hopefully they will offer downloadable versions of every retail release along with physical copies anyway. Along with providing ample internal storage, and an expandable storage slot to help future-proof it.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Jayge said:
    "AndrewGaspar said:
    "Jayge said:
    "

"
    If they did, it would be a ridiculously stupid move. The digital market isn't nearly large enough to support any kind of move like that. The system will probably support strong PSN integration and downloads, but the entire base market still needs to be grounded on physical media. With flash memory being ridiculously cheap, it would be easy to fit larger-than-possible-on-UMD games onto flash carts and still maintain a price range of $30-40. The new PSP definitely shouldn't have a UMD drive, but it definitely won't go download only. Hopefully they will offer downloadable versions of every retail release along with physical copies anyway. Along with providing ample internal storage, and an expandable storage slot to help future-proof it.
    "
    Well, digital distribution is working for Apple. I think that companies like Sony and Apple just need to start pushing digital distribution and show consumers that it's a viable option. You do make a good point about selling games on memory sticks. Actually, I think a good idea would being able to buy the game retail and being allowed to rip the game to the PSP up to three times from the cartridge onto the hard drive for convenience. After the three rips, you'd still be able to play it from the memory stick, just not be able to play it from your hard drive. Or maybe they could just include a code with your game that you entered while the game was in your system that gave you unlimited access to that game from the Store on your PSN account (and only your PSN account).
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "Well, digital distribution is working for Apple. I think that companies like Sony and Apple just need to start pushing digital distribution and show consumers that it's a viable option. You do make a good point about selling games on memory sticks. Actually, I think a good idea would being able to buy the game retail and being allowed to rip the game to the PSP up to three times from the cartridge onto the hard drive for convenience. After the three rips, you'd still be able to play it from the memory stick, just not be able to play it from your hard drive. Or maybe they could just include a code with your game that you entered while the game was in your system that gave you unlimited access to that game from the Store on your PSN account (and only your PSN account).
    "
    Apple distributes sub-10-dollar, small-ass, mindless apps that can be downloaded painlessly in minutes. Maybe the PSP2 will have better wifi hardware, but downloading a game or demo that is several hundred megs (or more than a gig) and installing it takes a long-ass time, sometimes 20-30 minutes. It would require a huge overhaul. Which, admittedly, is what an entirely new device should do. I'm not sure if Sony is capable of it though.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Jayge said:
    "AndrewGaspar said:
    "Well, digital distribution is working for Apple. I think that companies like Sony and Apple just need to start pushing digital distribution and show consumers that it's a viable option. You do make a good point about selling games on memory sticks. Actually, I think a good idea would being able to buy the game retail and being allowed to rip the game to the PSP up to three times from the cartridge onto the hard drive for convenience. After the three rips, you'd still be able to play it from the memory stick, just not be able to play it from your hard drive. Or maybe they could just include a code with your game that you entered while the game was in your system that gave you unlimited access to that game from the Store on your PSN account (and only your PSN account).
    "
    Apple distributes sub-10-dollar, small-ass, mindless apps that can be downloaded painlessly in minutes. Maybe the PSP2 will have better wifi hardware, but downloading a game or demo that is several hundred megs (or more than a gig) and installing it takes a long-ass time, sometimes 20-30 minutes. It would require a huge overhaul. Which, admittedly, is what an entirely new device should do. I'm not sure if Sony is capable of it though.
    "
    That's unfair. Look at the leap between PS2 and PS3 in terms of features. You have to admit that when the PSP was initially released, it was pretty advanced in terms of features and power for a handheld.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeah the hype there was for this gen was unparalled man, fucking ridiculous. the next next-gen hype wave better be different

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "That's unfair. Look at the leap between PS2 and PS3 in terms of features. You have to admit that when the PSP was initially released, it was pretty advanced in terms of features and power for a handheld.
    "
    It still is. The PS3's true potential *still* has yet to manifest itself, though. Especially with online capabilities.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.