Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Price Drop - $199

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Hey guys,

Just a quick piece of news from the Vita Heaven 2 stream. Both vita models will be priced at ¥19,980 as of Feb 28th, which translates to roughly $199 ($215 technically, but I think it's safe to assume they'll round down)

Good news overall!

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Hopefully this will be true in other territories.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

As of now this is only for Japan. Hopefully on wednesday Sony will reveal a price drop for us as well.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Still not worth it (and I own one). Where are the games, dammit?!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@enigma777 said:

I tend to agree with this sentiment. I only own two games right now and one of them is a remake of a PS2 game (P4:G) and the other is available on 3DS (VLR).

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

@enigma777: TBH, I think it's worth it. I mean, the 3DS was worth it when it dropped to $170 - granted, it has a larger library. I feel the Vita is far more capable than the #3DS' I've played, and I enjoy the basic feature set & screen a lot more. Hopefully the lower barrier to entry gets some more people on board!

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Games are not being made because nobody owns one; nobody owns because it has no games.

Price drop is a good first step to remedying that situation.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Vita ambassador program? The Vita is boned internationally no matter what, and the only way it will do well in Japan is if it gets Monster Hunter back.

Or they could pay like 3 trillion dollars to somehow get Game Freak to make Pokemon on the Vita. It would be a license to print money.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaMisterChief

JAPAN ONLY

No Caption Provided
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem isn't with the hardware. The hardware is great. The OS software... Eh, it's slowly getting there. But the lack of games? The lack of support? Awful. Trust me, there's not enough of a library to be worth owning one... And 80% of the games coming out, you can play better versions of them elsewhere (be it PS3 or PC or even mobile).

But the lack of support is what kills it for me. It's like Sony doesn't even care. Or more likely, they no longer have the cash to float it. So this price cut looks like their last attempt to turn it around, but with less than stellar software to back it up, I don't see that happening. I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Sony's broke and they're just about to release the PS4. They can't afford to support a cripple... Not like in 2006 when the global economy wasn't in the tank.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Cool! I'm more tempted to buy my Persona machine!

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be even cheaper in another year at this rate.

webscud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems likely since Amazon is sold and only resellers have them in-stock.

LornHg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LornHg

I wouldn't worry If I were you guys ... Sony is gonna realize it was a godly idea and spread it all over the world.

The price was a big barrier.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been happy with mine, but I got the 3G version for $199 in a boxing day sale. It was actually cheaper than the Wifi model. VLR is fun, P4G is amazing, and I've always had a soft spot for Wipeout. I don't know what I'll play when I'm finished with those, but it was worth that much for P4G alone.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

At $199 I might buy one....Id really like playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma/Sigma 2 at work on lunch.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought the white Vita that came with AC: Liberation the other day. This thing just has so much potential it makes me sad to see the state of the game library for it. Anyway I'm loving it so far. I beat Uncharted on it and that was pretty OK but my time has been pretty much consumed with Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus. It's the first time I've played Ninja Gaiden since I was a kid on the XBOX and man it's so hard but very, very fun.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Emblem on 3DS just makes me hate my Vita more, they couldn't even get Wake Up Club right. Now I don't know where my Vita is cuz I have no reason to use it as an alarm.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bassman2112 said:

Hey guys,

Just a quick piece of news from the Vita Heaven 2 stream. Both vita models will be priced at ¥19,980 as of Feb 28th, which translates to roughly $199 ($215 technically, but I think it's safe to assume they'll round down)

Good news overall!

If youre talking about the UK then its safe to assume they will round up that number and then add an extra 20 dollars, maybe remove the charger. I Do hope this happens around the world though, all that is stopping me from getting one is the price of the damn memory so if they can coutner that with reducing the general price im game (I have PS plus so all i really need is stored on my ps3 just in case i get one)

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are more than enough good to great games for something that is barely a year old.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

While this should help, it seems like too little too late. The 3DS has a pretty amazing line up this year, so I plan on upgrading to an XL in a few months. If they'd done this last year, I would have probably bought one already.

But assuming the European price is good, I might still get one at the end of the year though. If there's enough new software I care about.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

There's only one game on it that I even remotely want and I can get it on PS2. If I had a Vita, I fear that it would just be a glorified PS1 and PSP. Which is pretty much what my current scratched-up PSP is, and since it's modified it also serves as a NES, SNES, Game Boy, GBA, Genesis, and kinda-N64.

So... yeah. I love the tech and the look of the PSVita, but there just isn't much to do with it that I can't already do. The 3DS's library isn't stellar but it's doing better. I can name four games I would get on 3DS (Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Shin Megami Tensei IV when it comes out.) And a fifth would have been RE Revelations but I'd rather get that on PC.

Anyway, my point is that I wouldn't pay a dime over $50 for it if there were no games out for it, and I'd only pay that for the novelty.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enigma777 said:

There are more than enough good to great games for something that is barely a year old.

I strongly disagree. Most of the best games are ports or available on other platforms (and usually better on those). But worst of all, the 2013 release schedule is fucking pathetic. Outside of Soul Sacrifice and Killzone Mercenary, absolutely nothing stands out. That's bad. Really really bad.

God I wish I hadn't thrown away $300 last year...

ManlyScream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@hunkulese said:

@enigma777 said:

I strongly disagree. Most of the best games are ports or available on other platforms (and usually better on those). But worst of all, the 2013 release schedule is fucking pathetic. Outside of Soul Sacrifice and Killzone Mercenary, absolutely nothing stands out. That's bad. Really really bad.

God I wish I hadn't thrown away $300 last year...

Doesn't it console you just a little bit that you will (hopefully) be able to transfer any ps4 game to your vita at will? If it works for every title I think it would justify the purchase, especially if you have a family or a community tv.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.