Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Should I buy a vita?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

I've been considering buying a vita since launch. I didn't have the cash and was saving for a PC. Now I am considering spending some of that PC savings and buying a wifi vita. However, I am very concerned. They're are games out now that I want to play, but everyone seems so negative on the vita and pretty much have it on death watch. And while those people are sometimes wrong (see PS3 when it rose out of its ashes) and alot of posts that I read on this forum sound quite dumb (one guy even said SONY might go out of business soon) I still am nervous buying into a Sony handheld after PSP, and e3 this year didn't help much. Do you guys think it's worth buying right now? Do you think it's best to just get my PC? How are current owners feeling about their purchase right now? Thank you got your feedback and help.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

Hell no.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ravensword

Why?

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By falling_fast

Are there any interesting games on the vita?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

@Raven_Sword said:

Why?

Got no games.

No Caption Provided
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword

It has marvel vs capcom, mortal kombat, uncharted, wipeout, soon it'll have gravity rush, metal gear collection, and others. That's more than 3DS has.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By benjaebe

If there are games out that you really want to play, there's no reason not to. Despite their press conference, they actually demoed a ton of games on the show floor and a lot of them seem really good. I got a Vita launch day and I haven't regretted it at all. The software lineup is only going to get better, and it's been performing pretty well. I'm personally looking forward to the Metal Gear Solid HD collection, Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet, Persona 4 The Golden, etc. You can find a lot of videos from the E3 show floor here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477277

Lots of good games coming out.

Also Jet Set fucking Radio.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By drac96

The 3DS has far more titles than that. MvC3, Mortal Kombat, and the Metal Gear collection lower res ports of console games.

I want a Vita, but they just don't have anything to make me do it. It'll have Gravity Rush soon, but I don't know. They need developers to get behind it and not just with ports of games that are coming to the PS3.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#9  Edited By Kidavenger

I'm not that big on handhelds so I'd say stick with your PC plan.

I wouldn't worry about the Vita getting abandoned though, it looks like a good piece of hardware and I'm sure it will have more developers come on board over it's life which is sure to be long as I can't see Sony putting out another handheld system for a long time unless something crazy happens.

If Wii U turns out to be a success, I can easily see the Vita becoming a controller for the PS4 which would be cool.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Spoonman671

I bought mine at launch.  You won't be missing out on much if you wait a while before getting it.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ravensword

Um, there actualy not that low res and those console ports scored pretty high. AND 3DS has crap like that also. Ocarina of time, street fighter, dead or alive, and etc. are all low res ports as well, even lower res than vita. I mean, please atleast give GOOD reasons for not getting it. And really, how many compelling games does 3DS even have? Also, 3DS sucked it's first year.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By TheKing

No way, Personally I would never buy one. But if you really do want one wait for the inevitable price drop.

Kowalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kowalo

@Spoonman671 said:

I bought mine at launch. You won't be missing out on much if you wait a while before getting it.

I'd say go with this if your not entirely sure if you want one or not.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zombie2011

@Raven_Sword said:

It has marvel vs capcom, mortal kombat, uncharted, wipeout, soon it'll have gravity rush, metal gear collection, and others. That's more than 3DS has.

Then buy one.

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kiri90

If it were me, I would wait. I would keep saving for that PC. Being that we're nearing the end of the these consoles' lifespans, most every game that comes out is graphically superior on the PC. I built my own PC in February, and it's one of the best things I have done. I spend so much more time on my PC than my consoles now because games look better, and many times you can find games that you want (or have wanted) for a lower price. While the Vita is great, your wait might be rewarded with a price drop later this year or some better bundles. If you look at the games coming out later this year, and early next year, it's one of the best times to own a gaming-capable PC. However, if you're someone who is constantly gaming while not at home for extended periods of time, you might have other factors to consider.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Gaff

I have a hunch you've already made up your mind about buying a Vita?

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By drac96

@Raven_Sword said:

Um, there actualy not that low res and those console ports scored pretty high. AND 3DS has crap like that also. Ocarina of time, street fighter, dead or alive, and etc. are all low res ports as well, even lower res than vita. I mean, please atleast give GOOD reasons for not getting it. And really, how many compelling games does 3DS even have? Also, 3DS sucked it's first year.

I didn't say they were way lower res than the original games, but they are lower. I also didn't say the 3DS didn't have lame ports, because it obviously does. It does however have a few first party games that are pretty good. The 3DS sucked it's first year and the VITA seems to be following that same pattern.

For me a good reason to not get the Vita right now is because it can play games I already own and soon Gravity Rush. I think the Vita will get some good games in the coming months, but you asked if you should buy it right now.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By DeF

If there's nothing that makes you say WANT. NOW! then you might just as well wait.

the expected price drop didn't happen because Sony probably think they can get enough people with the Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty games for Vita since both are pretty much the biggest annual first and third person action game franchises.

so if there are only a few couple of games that you're interested in that don't make you really excited enough to run out and buy one, just keep waiting. I predict the price cut will have to happen next spring/summer at the latest.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By hockeymask27

If your on the fence just wait it out for now. Price cut will come.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Cathryn

Honestly, I think if you really want to buy a Vita and you think you'll be happy with the purchase, then you should buy one. Financially I can't afford one right now, but I was thinking about asking for one for Christmas and now I think I'm probably going to ask for something else -- I'm going to wait awhile longer and see what happens with it.

Also, I played the demo for Gravity Rush and didn't like the combat much at all. The art style is great and it seems to have an interesting premise, but I'm not sure the combat is worth playing :/

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By plop1920

I have mortal kombat, umvc3, rayman, lumines and stardust.

The only thing I use my vita for now is snes/gba/genesis emulators, take from that what you will

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By evanbower

@Raven_Sword said:

Why?

If you're asking, you're probably at the point that I am, in that you've already sold yourself on it. So do it my friend. If you've got the money, every console will have enough games to make it worth while.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Raven_Sword said:

They're almost all ports console games. Buying an expensive new system just to play inferior versions of games that can be bought cheaper elsewhere, isn't a good reason.

The 3DS suffers from "hey, let's just port this.." syndrome a bit too, but at least in that case they tend to be remakes/updates of pretty old games. It also has a fair number of original games, even if it's had the advantage of being out for longer. I'm not a Vita hater by any means, but there's not really any big reason to go out and buy one. The fact they showed nothing for it at E3 is pretty worrying too. I'd give it another year, or at least wait and see if they do a price drop for Christmas.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DukesT3

If you really want to buy it then I recommend craigslist or ebay for the purchase to save some money. You can get some pretty good deals on a wifi vita a memory card and a game here on my craigslist for around 200. I have a vita and every time I play MLB 12 I just think "goddamn this thing is pretty amazing and it just needs more support". I say keep that cash for the PC but if you REALLY want it I say go the used/craiglist route to save some cash in the process.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheHBK

Keep fighting everyone who gives you a reason not to get one. So then just go fucking buy it.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By killacam

yes. wait, no.

i think it's wild that a psp is only $100 cheaper than a vita. raise the vita's price if you must, but this gap must widen!

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By falling_fast

@Raven_Sword said:

if you made this topic to shill for the vita, come out and say so, dude.

Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Salesmunn

@Raven_Sword: @Raven_Sword said:

I've been considering buying a vita since launch. I didn't have the cash and was saving for a PC. Now I am considering spending some of that PC savings and buying a wifi vita. However, I am very concerned. They're are games out now that I want to play, but everyone seems so negative on the vita and pretty much have it on death watch. And while those people are sometimes wrong (see PS3 when it rose out of its ashes) and alot of posts that I read on this forum sound quite dumb (one guy even said SONY might go out of business soon) I still am nervous buying into a Sony handheld after PSP, and e3 this year didn't help much. Do you guys think it's worth buying right now? Do you think it's best to just get my PC? How are current owners feeling about their purchase right now? Thank you got your feedback and help.

i play my Vita every day. Walmart has the WiFi system with a $50 gift card for only $250 right now. Amazon has great sales on Hot Shots, Wipeout and others!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By handlas

Had one since launch as well.

I'd only get one if there are certain games you'd prefer to play on a handheld rather than a console. For example, for whatever reason I like playing Rayman and fighting games on the vita rather than on a console. Mortal Kombat is great. Looking forward to buying All-Stars on it as well.

Gravity Rush looks kewl, demo was pretty fun... gonna get that next week.

edit: Forgot about Sly Cooper as well. Looks like fun.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PatchMaster

I'd wait until more games get announced...

or the thing gets discontinued. Whichever comes first.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zeushbien

If you are interested in buying and playing relatively cheap PSP games off of PSN, then I would say go for it, if not, then maybe wait a while.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe wait? The PS3 developped into a much much better system than where it was a few years ago, I could a similar thing happenning with the vita.

Personally I'm not into mobile gaming though, I just end up never playing it, I hate playing on cars/subways etc and I'm always left with the feeling that I'm playing an inferior version of a console game.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By laserbolts

I'd say no and wait for the price drop. Once it drops there should hopefully be a decent selection of good games out for it.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By sopranosfan

I enjoy mine and I wouldnt count on a price cut anytime soon. Also as already pointed out Wal-mart has a free $50 gift card with purchase which basiically means you get it fo r$199 ane I highly doubt the price will drop lower than that for a few years.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ravensword

My worries are primarily centered around the fact people are already declaring this thing dead in the water. If I buy even when there's a price cut, there's ghat looming fear of what happened with the psp. But yeah, Im gonna get the PC and just wait on the vita until price drop or see how it fleshes out over the year. I really hope it becomes great , of not, it could create doubts even with ps4 from Sony. That's another thing, were probaly getting new consoles soon. I may wanna start saving for those as well.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ravensword

Also, Im not shilling for the vita, I'm merely arguing a few points that I didn't agree with. I'm totally open to opinons against getting it, obviously.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Addfwyn

It sounds like you already want a Vita, which means I'd say buy a Vita. There's a lot of good games coming out, and some already out that could keep you occupied. I love my Vita and don't regret the purchase at all.

My usual qualifier is if there is more than two games I really want to play on that console that is only available on that console then it's probably a worthwhile purchase. I made the mistake of buying the Wii only for trauma center and generally regretting it. But for more games it may have been worthwhile.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ravensword

Also, why is vita already on death watch with alot of people?

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39  Edited By me3639

Im waiting for price drop.

flushpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By flushpockets

@Gaff said:

I have a hunch you've already made up your mind about buying a Vita?

I'm Ron Burgundy?

Also, since they didn't annouce a price on the Assassin's Creed bundle, perhaps they are at least considering a price cut before the holidays, if you're into that kind of thing.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JJOR64

@me3639 said:

Im waiting for price drop.

This and some good original games. That's what I'm waiting for.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xyzygy

@Raven_Sword said:

Almost all of those games have superior versions on consoles. The vita doesn't have any games that make it a unique system, it just has a bunch of games that can be done better on a console with a larger screen.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By avidwriter

Will you get your money's worth in less then 6 months? When you buy a movie you watch it, and you pretty much got your money's worth if you enjoyed it right. However a Vita, you buy it and you have to still buy games. So it's an investment to invest again. I got a PSP thinking I'd have hundreds of games of backlog to play. Honestly I only beat about a dozen, started close to probably thrity and the past two years it's been collecting dust and I just recharge it when it dies. So if you think you'll still be playing it six months from now along with your PS3? XBOX? PC? Whatever else you play games on go for it. If you are not sure, then trust your gut.

Prometheum5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Prometheum5

I just got a free Vita with a Sony laptop purchase, so I guess now I have a Vita... I bought the biggest memory card, so hopefully some good downloadables come around. Thinking I'll pick up the MGS:HD collection and try to play MGS2 and 3 the whole way through for the first time. Then to wait for a Castlevania game of some sort, and to check if I can put a digital copy of the PSP Metal Slug collection on there. That's pretty much all I need. Then again, I purchased a $129.99 DSiXL solely to play the Aliens game and Castlevania games, so I probably have low standards.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By triple07

I'd say wait to see if the Vita gets more games. Unless there is a must have game for you on the Vita I would say save for the PC which has more games than you could ever want on it. Also seeing as how the Vita isn't setting the world on fire I'd say you can expect Sony to do something with it, like a price drop soon.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jacksmedulla

@Raven_Sword: Quite a few reasons.The vita is too expensive when compared to the 3ds and smartphones/ ipods. There aren't many original titles that have been released,and the ones that have are fairly lack-luster. It is selling poorly in most territories. Sony didn't do it any favors at their E3 press conference.

However, if it has games you want to play and you have the money, buy it.

GODWASP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GODWASP

I got mine at launch, since then have had no regrets. It has enough games as of now and many great games coming soon. Just buy it.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mars

Yes you should. I've never been a huge Sony fan, however, I have enjoyed my Vita very much. Due to me being very busy as of late, it has become my console of choice. I don't think I've played my 3DS since I purchased my Vita and I find myself playing it more than my 360. For reference, I consider the 360 my favorite console, but if you're looking for a great handheld, the Vita is it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.