Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

What would get you to buy a Vita?

• 90 results
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By isomeri

My covet factor towards the Vita has risen significantly during the last few weeks. Mainly because I started to realize what a stellar lineup of games the platform has been able to produce at launch.

However I'm still not prepared to dole out my money to Sony at the current price point. I think that the handheld itself is reasonably priced, but the cost of memory at the moment is quite ridiculous. If I were to buy a Vita I'd want the 32 GB memory-card, and would probably not buy any physical game copies at all.

Once the combined price for the console and the 32 gig card drops below 250 € I probably will finally get one. Currently I'm hoping for some sort of bundle or price-drop at E3.

For those of you who are not planning on buying a Vita at the moment, what would get you to change your mind?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Either a sizable price drop, or I get a sizable amount of cash. The memory card stuff is unfortunate, and really, the thing should have some amount of built in storage, but it's not that bad, I guess? I dunno.

Games. It needs more games worth buying. But that's kinda the issue with all video game systems at launch.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Already got one coming on the launch date, I always like to be an early adopter of tech so there was never any question, the lineup isn't looking too bad for launch though to be fair.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By GS_Dan

I'm waiting for the inevitable hardware revision before I jump on board.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stete

When a Vita memory card costs the same as a microSD card. Right now on amazon a 16GB microSD costs 15 quid, the vita equivalent costs 40.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By isomeri

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Already got one coming on the launch date, I always like to be an early adopter of tech so there was never any question, the lineup isn't looking too bad for launch though to be fair.

I'm usually an early adopter as well. If I were to buy a Vita sometime after the launch it would be the first time for me since the original PlayStation.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Morrow

@isomeri:

I'll be definately getting a Vita once it's cheaper IF you can update your trophies without Wi-fi, I'm still using a cable ._.

If that's not possible, I'll probably not get one...

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Arebuckle

All I really need is a price cut to about £180, not necessarily an official one. Just if I see a Vita for £180 I'll buy it, I think that's roughly what I payed for my 3DS. So for a platform with newer hardware and more games that I'm interested in, I'd be fine with paying the same amount. 

However a price cut to those memory cards could get me to buy a Vita before it reaches £180.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morrow

@Imsorrymsjackson:

Do you know if there is a possibility to update your Vita trophies to your PSN account without Wi-Fi?

Like, adding it to your PS3 via USB, then connect your PS3 to the internet? I'm still using a cable ._.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Samaritan

Apparently not very much seeing as I already have mine pre-ordered. But the rational me would say a "must-have" title or the US release of Persona 4 The Golden, which ever came first.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Crash_Happy

Not sure, they look pretty nice but I haven't got an itch for one just yet. Some game I really really want might push me over the edge I guess...

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By isomeri

@Morrow said:

@Imsorrymsjackson:

Do you know if there is a possibility to update your Vita trophies to your PSN account without Wi-Fi?

Like, adding it to your PS3 via USB, then connect your PS3 to the internet? I'm still using a cable ._.

Couldn't you just go to your nearest cafe etc. with Wi-Fi and update the trophies there?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mike

A lot of stars have to align to get me to buy a Vita.

• Much lower memory card prices.
    • Price of the unit - I'll wait for a bundled deal that comes with a compelling game or I'll get one used on Craigslist.
    • Game library needs to be larger and more diverse than what is available at launch.
    • Possibly a new hardware revision

I'll revisit the idea of buying one around 12-18 months down the road.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Morrow

@isomeri: @isomeri said:

@Morrow said:

@Imsorrymsjackson:

Couldn't you just go to your nearest cafe etc. with Wi-Fi and update the trophies there?

I live in a rather rural place... I guess I could try to figure out where a public Wi-Fi spot is and then try to update them there... but going there just to do that is a drag ._.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
    deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'm getting one at or very near to launch. I did like my PSP quite a bit and 3DS isn't really hitting the spot for me... Plus I'm using a ton of accumulated Amazon credit so it's as cheap as free. Add that all to my need for a commuter pal and the Vita is a lock for me.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Pretty much nothing. I can happily wait a year or two for the price to drop and more games to be released.

I don't see any need or advantage to getting one right now, especially after being burned by the 3DS. The Vita at least has a better launch library.. but it's still mostly ports.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By sungahymn

Let me think abou--no.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By markini6

My wallet's sad to say that they've already sold me. With the exception of Escape Plan and possibly Ninja Gaiden, there aren't any launch titles that appeal, but Persona 4, the Metal Gear Solid Collection, Gravity Rush, LBP and a back catalogue of PSP games that I've never played have convinced me.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By isomeri

@Morrow said:

@isomeri: @isomeri said:

@Morrow said:

@Imsorrymsjackson:

I live in a rather rural place... I guess I could try to figure out where a public Wi-Fi spot is and then try to update them there... but going there just to do that is a drag ._.

I see. Well you can get cheap Wi-Fi routers for around 15 € which should be sufficient for your trophy updating needs. That's not a huge expense if you'r already paying around 250 € for the system.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CFW and video out. Besides maybe the "newer" Monster Hunter games and some Japanese exclusives, the only other PSP game I actually wanted to play pretty bad was Peace Walker and that already came out for consoles, now all I need Capcom to do is localize Portable 3rd HD, which will never happen.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By morningstar

Some good games would get me to buy one, preferably some good rpgs. When they come to the system I will buy one.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoeyRavn

Lower prices (for the console, the accesories and the games) and CFW. That's why I bought my PSP in the first place.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By TobbRobb

They either have to make it A LOT cheaper or I might pick it up if I happened to "aquire" a little money.

Avatar image for redcricketchase
    RedCricketChase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RedCricketChase

Like the 3DS, I'm going to wait for a revision with an OK battery life. Also, a rockin' RPG wouldn't hurt! :D

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust

Games. I am waiting for at least 5 JRPGs that I want to play (no specific title) to be available for the system. That's what it took for me to pick up a DS a few years ago. When I looked around and saw that I wanted to play these games on the DS, I bought one. I am only interested in playing JRPGs on a handheld which might seem odd since the trend for portable games is short and simple. However, I eventually plan to sink 40 or 50 hours into the Vita Persona 4 game and who knows what else; Legend of Heroes maybe?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Morrow

@isomeri said:

I see. Well you can get cheap Wi-Fi routers for around 15 € which should be sufficient for your trophy updating needs. That's not a huge expense if you'r already paying around 250 € for the system.

Haha, I just came back from Amazon after ordering one :D

I never got into the Wi-Fi thing, although I'm usually not that old-fashioned. But I guess the only thing I have to do to get Wi-Fi is ordering a router and install it... I hope it's as easy as that ._.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Kyreo

More money. If I had more money, I would buy it as soon as it comes out.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By isomeri

@Morrow said:

@isomeri said:

Haha, I just came back from Amazon afte rordering one :D

I never got into the Wi-Fi thing, although I'm usually not that old-fashioned. But I guess the only thing I have to do to get Wi-Fi is ordering a router and install it... I hope it's as easy as that ._.

This is getting slightly off-topic, but yes it should be as easy as that. I lived without Wi-Fi for years and years until my router broke and I had to buy a new one which just happened to have Wi-Fi built into it. I have all my junk plugged in via ethernet, so I still don't use the wireless all that much. But it's nice to have around.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Darkstar614

P4tG

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Morrow

@isomeri said:

This is getting slightly off-topic, but yes it should be as easy as that. I lived without Wi-Fi for years and years until my router broke and I had to buy a new one which just happened to have Wi-Fi built into it. I have all my junk plugged in via ethernet, so I still don't use the wireless all that much. But it's nice to have around.

Yah I know I'm sorry for spamming your thread with my insecurities ._. But I'm glad someone can help me out ^^ I'm a bit embarassed I know so little about Wi-Fi, it's such a common thing these days.

One last thing pls :D I'm currently using a modem, and I actually want to keep it, but it should be possible to just connect it with the router and have it (the router) working via the modem instead of having to replace the modem with the router? I like my modem ._.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jetsetwillie

i actually think its too big. i held on the other day in out local GAME store. and was surprised just how big it seemed.

for me the whole point of a handheld gaming system is to be able to carry it about with me, and its just to big to do that. so i would just end up playing it around the house. and why would i do that when i have a PS3 and a Gaming PC hooked up to a 46" TV and nice speakers.

for me its phone for out and about gaming and PS3 or PC when i get home.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Morrow

@PenguinDust said:

Games. I am waiting for at least 5 JRPGs that I want to play (no specific title) to be available for the system. That's what it took for me to pick up a DS a few years ago. When I looked around and saw that I wanted to play these games on the DS, I bought one. I am only interested in playing JRPGs on a handheld which might seem odd since the trend for portable games is short and simple. However, I eventually plan to sink 40 or 50 hours into the Vita Persona 4 game and who knows what else; Legend of Heroes maybe?

Same here. The only titles out at release that spark my interest a little are Dynasty Warriors and the Katamari one. The rest... meh. I already saw a Tales of Innocence and Ragnarok Odyssey one, but only the japanese versions ._.

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

Definitely a price drop. It is a great piece of hardware, but I cannot see myself dishing out that kind of money for a portable gaming device.

beef_melody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By beef_melody

More than Sony could possibly pay me.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By isomeri

@Morrow said:

@isomeri said:

Yah I know I'm sorry for spamming your thread with my insecurities ._. But I'm glad someone can help me out ^^ I'm a bit embarassed I know so little about Wi-Fi, it's such a common thing these days.

One last thing pls :D I'm currently using a modem, and I actually want to keep it, but it should be possible to just connect it with the router and have it (the router) working via the modem instead of having to replace the modem with the router? I like my modem ._.

You should be able to plug the Wi-Fi box into your modem just like any other router, no promises though. At our last LAN party we were using a router which had Wi-Fi built in as an extension to the modem and it worked just fine.

No need to apologize, I like to think that there's always someone ready and willing to help on these forums.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

It's a new piece of electronics, so I'm buying it.

I'll likely never use it though. I haven't touched the 3DS since the week it came out.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AgnosticJesus

I've been thinking of getting one and have the money but I can't rationalize the total cost. Between the system, games, and memory card I just can't see myself spending over $350 for a portable game system. Every time a new system comes out I feel an intense desire to purchase it. Plus it's just another gadget to lug around. When I'm at school I already have my iPhone, iPod, Kindle fire, laptop, and my son's 3ds so I can get him play coins.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zels

1. Longer battery life.

2. PC compatibility - hook the psVita to a computer, marketplace a la steam/itunes comes up where you can manage the device.

2.1. Good online marketplace that has all vita games.

I haven't really followed the console all that much - does it do any of these things (apart from (1), obv.)

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rattle618

Nothing, it is a neat piece of equipment but it does not fill any role in my life.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I never bought a PSP just for the fact that almost everything people recommended for me to play I could buy on another system I had (ie Twisted Metal Black or God of War). The same is with the Vita. I won't pay $300 for games I'd rather play on my iPad or on my PS3.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Joker369

Persona 4 The Golden.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hunkulese

$200 price drop and I would think about possibly considering buying one.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By sub_o

The games. Right now the games I am actually interested in, are the Atlus' JRPGs, which are released on PSP.

duggshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By duggshammer

I think I'm going to get one, but I wouldn't care what the price was if it had some 'must-have' games, like a new GTA, a good FPS... or an action-rpg (Mass Effect type game). It's not a size issue, the game cards are at least 4gb, if not more, and the original games described could fit on a 8gb dl dvd for 360 - those were made for 720p. I guess the games I want to see on the vita have too high of a budget... *sigh*

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Nothing I'm not interested in a portable device.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Morrow

@isomeri:

I'll be definately getting a Vita once it's cheaper IF you can update your trophies without Wi-fi, I'm still using a cable ._.

If that's not possible, I'll probably not get one...

...buy a wifi router? They're like 50 cents!
    SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I'm still waiting to get impressions from the first edition crowd, but unless it ends up actively electrocuting you, I'll probably pick one up right at official launch or shortly after.  With that said, the games I want the most are still several months down the line, or further.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By benspyda

Sizable price drop. $350AUD ($374USD) seems too much.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By BaneFireLord

A full-fledged Elder Scrolls or Fallout title specifically made for the platform and unavailable anywhere else.

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By TheFakePsychic

@Joker369 said:

Persona 4 The Golden.

and some form of Ratchet & Clank. Also better battery would be nice, but those two things for certain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.