Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Playstation VR to cost $399, release in October.

• 59 results
    NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By NeverGameOver

Original post:

The day of reckoning is upon on us. Release details for the PS VR should be announced tomorrow at the GDC event. In the meantime, let's speculate aimlessly! (and then discuss once the details are available)

I'm going to guess $399 for headset + PS camera, available 9/13/16 in the U.S.

Edit: it's official. $399 USD. PS move controllers and camera NOT included but the camera is required so the true base price is actually more like $460 (plus the console obviously, if you don't have a ps4). Releasing in October 2016

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I'm gonna say $399 for the headset itself. $499 for a bundle with the camera and Move controllers.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

$299 headset or $399 for heatset, camera, and pack-in game. Summer release date. You heard it here first. Come at me, burh

edit: Except for guessing literally everything wrong, I was pretty spot on...

Noobsmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm going to go with $450 for headset + camera + move controller.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to bring back the pictures...

$599 for system/headset/camera/move

$399 headset/cam/move

I think they try and push how amazing their value is by saying you get a system and a headset for the same price as competing headsets. Then the $399 price for the rest of us who already own a ps4.

Also maybe they announce all owners of 20th anniversary systems get one for free... just because we'r..... errrr they're awesome...... >.>;;;;;;

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll hope 300, I'll guess 400, I'll weep at 500.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

$700 for a full PS4/VR bundle with a lone Move controller and a pack-in game. $400 for the base VR stuff.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Devil240Z

It's going to be free with PS plus.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I see a lot of assumptions that PSVR will cost drastically less than the Rift or Vive. Why? Are there specs floating around out there that I've missed?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

I see a lot of assumptions that PSVR will cost drastically less than the Rift or Vive. Why? Are there specs floating around out there that I've missed?

Without having any real knowledge regarding this whole VR business, I'm just guessing some people assume it to be less powerful, only meant for playing games and whatnot, thus Sony would try and be "smart" about it by selling with a significantly lower price. I kinda have a feeling that the PS community will explode with rage at the price reveal in any case, even if it's a $100 bundle with PS4 and life-time Plus subscription, because, you know, the internet.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: Two main reasons. First, they said originally to expect it to cost around the same as a new console.

Second, the specs are lower and by their own admission last week in an interview with Polygon said that the Rift is more powerful and could provide a better VR experience, but costs a lot and requires a heafty gaming Pc to work. Sony recognise the strength of their unit is it can provide a comfortable experience that will work on a PS4.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: Two main reasons. First, they said originally to expect it to cost around the same as a new console.

Second, the specs are lower and by their own admission last week in an interview with Polygon said that the Rift is more powerful and could provide a better VR experience, but costs a lot and requires a heafty gaming Pc to work. Sony recognise the strength of their unit is it can provide a comfortable experience that will work on a PS4.

Yup, Sony's poised to win the VR war before the other 2 even establish a userbase (because of ridiculous price/PC required)

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$400, then people will complain because they expected something like $200 for no good reason. They'll say VR is dead because first generation hardware isn't cheap and they were holding out hope that Sony would save them.

If I'm going to spend $400, throwing in an extra $200 for a better experience with Rift wouldn't seem unreasonable. It'll come down to support and what's available to play (games and experiences). I'm buying nothing first year.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping for a €/$649,- PS4 bundle, I'm expecting a $799,- PS4 bundle. Headset with camera and controller at $449,-, just the headset at $400,-

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I actually doubt the price/release date will be revealed tomorrow, given that it looks like the event won't be live streamed.

If they do announce price/release date at a non-livestreamed event it kinda means they're setting us up for bad news - in which case, I'd lean on the side of $500 or so.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Sony probably knows that it will be the company to really make VR enter the mainstream. All the other devices are right now purely enthusiast devices, both because of the expense on buying them and the very beefy PCs required to run them. Shittons of people own a PS4, and shittons of people would really dig into more affordable VR. If gamers are going to get angry at the price point, it's going to be just like any other thing gamers get mad at; it's going to be forgotten in a weeks time and they're still going to buy it.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

$400 for VR/Move bundle, you have to buy camera separately (people forget that those PS4 cameras flew off shelves).

It's announced at E3 and it's available a week after E3.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

$399 for just the helmet. Camera/controllers sold separately: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By liquiddragon

You should change the thread title. Price and release window announced for US/CA: $399 USD/$549 CAD October

Here is the LINK

EDIT:

Europe: 399
    UK: 349
    JPN: 44,980

Not Included: PS Camera & PS Move. Some games require them.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BabyChooChoo

That's actually not too bad at all. I hope they slap a big fat "Playstation Camera Required" all over the box though because I expect a lot of average Joes to be disappointed when they take it home and find out they can't actually do anything with it.

DukeMcFrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$300 for the helmet. $400 for the helmet/controller/ camera bundle. $600 for console/ VR bundle.

Im curious if there is going to be any backwards compatibility. If the launch titles look dull (Robot golf and that one golem game right?) I will be able to play something on it that i already own.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

400 then, since you have to have camera/controllers.

Still, its a less powerful system, its a closed system.

I personally feel a lot of early cool VR stuff will be small demos, and things that people just put out on PC, which wont be on consoles.

Its a bit weird to have the price without any games though, since right now, why would anyone buy one.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NeverGameOver

Just to be clear, the price has been officially announced. $399 USD for a barebones package which does NOT include the camera (which I understand is required to use the headset at all) or any move controllers.

Therefore, if you-- like most of us-- have a ps4 without a camera-- your start up cost is about $460 USD and that's if you don't want the controllers.

I assume you can probably get move controllers used pretty cheaply?

It does come with headphones but they look cheap, so that's another potential cost.

I'm going to try it at pax east and make a decision. This was about as high as I would go but as long as it doesn't get me motion sick, I'll be buying.

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bassguy said:

$399 for just the helmet. Camera/controllers sold separately: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/

PlayStation VR is the helmet... Those are the required extras, but not actual PS VR.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not adding the camera, or at least announcing a bundle with camera, is a dick move

i'm more cautious of the psvr than oculus or the vive just because the PS4 is a closed console. adding vr to exisiting games or playing in small experimental vr experiences are the biggest draws of vr for me. for the psvr it's going to be solely dependent on the software specifically designed for that peripheral. if that software is either bad or sparse than all of the people who are diving in at the lowest price point might just write off vr as not worth it.

sure there's 'theatre mode', but how much of an experience can that really add when I'm already a foot or so away from my big tv. that's the most gimmicky feature of vr that I've really seen throughout the last few years, and it's being listed here as a software selling point.

i hope it's successful and that it has the software to support it at a steady pace to keep people invested. but depending on sales/attach rates it isn't that difficult to see four or five games of substance coming out a year for it (which is still an extremely positive estimate) just because developers don't want to throw so many resources behind a small fraction of a giant install base.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's the price I was expecting. But I do have to admit not including the camera is a little stupid, but hey, it is what it is. The Move controllers I can understand not including, they're very much optional.

I'm guessing they really wanted that $399 price point and couldn't reasonably include the camera for that price. $449 doesn't sound as appealing.

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original post:

The day of reckoning is upon on us. Release details for the PS VR should be announced tomorrow at the GDC event. In the meantime, let's speculate aimlessly! (and then discuss once the details are available)

I'm going to guess $399 for headset + PS camera, available 9/13/16 in the U.S.

Edit: it's official. $399 USD. PS move controllers and camera NOT included but the camera is required so the true base price is actually more like $460. Releasing in October 2016

If we're going to include the camera as part of the "true base price" then we might as well include the price of a PS4 as well. PS4's run around $299 now, so the true base price is $759.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Silver-Streak

@brayvonmartin: Does that make the true base price of the Oculus at ~$2000, and the true base price of the vive at $2200?

As an aside note, I'm one of the few million folks who bought a PS4 camera at launch for no good reason (to be fair, Playroom was pretty awesome), I've also had 2 move controllers since they hit on the PS3. Not everyone will be in my scenario, obviously, but I'm pretty happy with the price. I'd be happier with lower, but it's still a pretty good price comparatively.

Edit: For clarity, I'm joking in my first statement. Every headset has added costs, so as brayvonmartin is pointing out it's a bit silly to point out the camera and move add costs.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NeverGameOver

@brayvonmartin: I dunno about that. The ps4 is the best selling console out there right now. Who the hell owns the ps camera?

Regardless, I edited it for you.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any release titles? Summer Lesson?

Tekken 7? Please...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BrettVandelay

@brayvonmartin: Does that make the true base price of the Oculus at ~$2000, and the true base price of the vive at $2200?

I mean... yes? The base price of an Oculus is not $600. That's not the base. You also need a nice ass computer. With the deals they are giving the base price of an Oculus is around $1500.

This is all based on the logic of the OP which was adding in things to the base price other than what came in the box. If we're adding in the camera, it seems arbitrary to not add in the other items you need to get the thing running.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@brayvonmartin: I'm sorry. My sarcasm through text is bad. I was adding on to your facetiousness to the OPs statements, but now that I read it, it looks like I'm making a statement like you were the one being facetious.

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brayvonmartin: I dunno about that. The ps4 is the best selling console out there right now. Who the hell owns the ps camera?

Sorry so we're basing it on the best selling console? So if a Wii U VR thing drops tomorrow for $200, you would say the base price is $200 + the price of a Wii U. But since a PS4 is the best selling console we are excluding the price of the console from the base? If you want to.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mister_V

Needing to buy peripherals so I can use other peripherals.......

goood stuff.

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brayvonmartin: I'm sorry. My sarcasm through text is bad. I was adding on to your facetiousness to the OPs statements, but now that I read it, it looks like I'm making a statement like you were the one being facetious.

Gotcha ;)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By mike

@mister_v said:

Needing to buy peripherals so I can use other periferals....

goood stuff.

Well it makes sense to not include the camera since practically everyone has one of those already...right? Guys?

Seriously though, it doesn't seem like a reach to assume that Sony wanted to keep the price point below $399 and couldn't do it while also including the camera.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nevergameover said:

Sorry so we're basing it on the best selling console? So if a Wii U VR thing drops tomorrow for $200, you would say the base price is $200 + the price of a Wii U. But since a PS4 is the best selling console we are excluding the price of the console from the base? If you want to.

I edited it just for you. Even though l'm pretty sure that the vast majority of early adopters have a ps4 and do not have a camera. Happy?

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brayvonmartin: the reason why the camera needs to be added to the price and not the console is because the camera is also an extra peripheral. it's an additional purchase you will need to make to have this peripheral function at all.

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brayvonmartin said:
    @nevergameover said:

I edited it just for you. Even though l'm pretty sure that the vast majority of early adopters have a ps4 and do not have a camera. Happy?

<3

DrVenkman90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty interested. I played through one of the London Heist demos this year at CES. Overall it was a really fun experience. I don't know though. I have to say for me personally I think I would be more interested in the device if it had more entertainment purposes. If I could load up a bluray and sit in a virtual theater watching a movie that would be incredibly dope.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#42 fisk0  Moderator

Well, that's a decent starting price point. It's probably nowhere near the Rift or Vive in performance, but at this price point I can at least see VR taking off so that we can get more affordable stuff down the line as the tech matures.

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tajasaurus: Well at least you have sound logic. I was just saying, if we're talking "true base price," which we are, not including the console no longer makes it the "true base price."

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the price, but I don't know if this will get all the weird experimental stuff that will inevitably show up on the PC based units. One of may favorite things about new technology is seeing all of the dumb stuff people will do with it. The early days of the App Store on iOS are a good example. Just a bunch of people throwing ideas out there and seeing if anything sticks. Even with a focus on indie games, the PSN store doesn't strike me as being open enough to allow developers to put up whatever they want and charge (or not) whatever they want. Now if someone could get PSVR working with a PC, then I'd be all set.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Reasonable. I never tried the high-end stuff, so I'm sure $400 will impress me and everyone I show it to.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: As someone who owns a camera for the PS4 I'm glad they're not bundling it in to the price point as I don't want or need a second camera. $399 is the price I figured it would be as a standalone unit.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who knew that camera would become useful some day? The thought of there being a potential shortage in supply at retail stores sounds kind of hilarious now.

As much as I want to pull the trigger on buying a Rift, this price point is slightly more affordable for me this year... I just hope there are some decent launch titles because that London Heist (game?) looks horrible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.