Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 12, 2009

Remakes of the original Game Boy Color games, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are given updated graphics and gameplay on the Nintendo DS.

Wi-Fi Trading is Fucking Broken

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By Romination

But you already knew that, DIDN'T YOU?! Now, I'm not saying that it's your fault, but that lump of guilt you feel forming in your guts says everything you need to hear. I remember when I learned about the first Pokemon for DS having Wi-Fi trading and battling. "That's perfect!" I thought. It's an actual evolution for the franchise, getting into the online world, and it's almost a dream come true. As I crawled my way through a wonderful new continent, marveling in the new Pokemon that gamboled about, I finally reached the Wi-Fi building and dove my ass right in, only to discover that

THIS SHIT IS FUCKING BROKEN

Not just regular broken. Not KIND OF broken. This is 'fucking' with a capital FU. I was on for 2 hours last night looking for a Spinarak. Let me list what is currently up for trade if you want to trade for this almost ridiculously common Pokemon.
    • Male Meditite, Lv. 90
    • Togepi, Level 100
    • Slowking
    • Darkrai, Lv. 100
    • Male Lucario, Lv. 100
    • Blaziken, Lv. 50 (it's a Lv. 1 Spinarak)
    • ANOTHER Darkrai, Lv. 100
    Let's keep this going, though. What does someone desire for the rarest of the rare, the dreaded Rattata?
    • Male Graveler, Lv 100
    • Staryu, any level (...makes SOME sense)
    • Mesprit
    • Qwilfish
    • Lv. 50 Male Steelix
    • Lv. 50 Jirachi
    • <Lv. 10 Chikorita

Are you kidding me? Really? I'd only do that if I had an extra Mesprit lounging around and was thinking to myself "I wish I could do something really stupid with this! How about a level 2 Rattata?" But since I'm not constantly downing Dumbass pills (I ignore my prescription), I don't see that happening anytime in the future.

And why can I only see 7 trades at a time?

It's adorable and all to see all the trainers sitting at the bottom of the screen and I can click them and giggle at all the Ace Trainers there are (ego), but the problem with this is that I only can see 7 people. I'm sure there's someone out there who wasn't hit over the head when they were looking to make a trade, and it would be nice to be able to flip through the,. Even if there's millions of people who are trying to trade away their Shuckle (NO ONE WILL TAKE IT), I should have some way to look through it, maybe in a list form. Here's an idea I just came up with that would be a lot more helpful: A list of desired trades for that Pokemon, in ascending order based on level of the Pokemon they're desiring. Then, on the top screen, there's the info for the Pokemon they're putting up to trade, and their trainer info. Then, I can further sort based on where they're from, what level I'm looking for, and what gender, like the game already has.

But let me keep blowing your mind with my awesome ideas

WHAT IF THE GAME ONLY SHOWED TRADES THAT IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO MAKE. I don't HAVE a Darkrai, so I don't care who wants one. Hell, I want one too. The game has the ability to read into the Pokemon you have already, since when you click 'make trade' the Pokemon in question is highlighted. So why not base the entire trading screen on that? It should know what I do and don't have. I know it's been said that Japan doesn't get the internet, but some of this stuff isn't rocket science, you know. Why can't I sort based on multiple countries, either? What if I really want a mix of trades from Mexico and Japan? Outta luck, it's all or one. It's especially weird since I can look at trades from, say Beirut. Who's playing Pokemon, Wi-Fi, in Beirut? Exactly (well, if your answer is "no one", that is). It's just bogging down the menus to have so many options for such an archaic system. 

But let's talk mathiness now

Pokemon's got math equations going behind the scenes all the time. Why not add another one? This one's for stupidness of the trade. See, what they can run is the commonness of the Pokemon that is being offered divided by the commonness of the Pokemon they want times the level of offered divided by level of wanted and something like that, and maybe something about the current popularity of the Pokemon offered. If it's within a certain range, they let you set up the trade, but if it's outside of that range, then it will send an error message, or at least a warning message, that the trade isn't fair or likely and may not get picked up. I ain't no mathologist, but I know that they'd be able to come up with something. That way, REAL trades would pop up, with a few weird outliers (Level 1 Bulbasaur for a Level 20 Raichu or something, I dunno), so that after several hours of searching, I won't have just 3 trades at the GTS over 2 games. 

On the other hand...

Being able to download battle videos and trade with friends over the Wi-Fi is pretty good. In fact, if I had friends, it would be the best system since sliced bread. But I'm not here to praise. Who compliments on the internet? I'm just hoping that they manage to make SOMETHING better for Black and White. Really, what could be worse?
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Romination

But you already knew that, DIDN'T YOU?! Now, I'm not saying that it's your fault, but that lump of guilt you feel forming in your guts says everything you need to hear. I remember when I learned about the first Pokemon for DS having Wi-Fi trading and battling. "That's perfect!" I thought. It's an actual evolution for the franchise, getting into the online world, and it's almost a dream come true. As I crawled my way through a wonderful new continent, marveling in the new Pokemon that gamboled about, I finally reached the Wi-Fi building and dove my ass right in, only to discover that

THIS SHIT IS FUCKING BROKEN

Not just regular broken. Not KIND OF broken. This is 'fucking' with a capital FU. I was on for 2 hours last night looking for a Spinarak. Let me list what is currently up for trade if you want to trade for this almost ridiculously common Pokemon.
    • Male Meditite, Lv. 90
    • Togepi, Level 100
    • Slowking
    • Darkrai, Lv. 100
    • Male Lucario, Lv. 100
    • Blaziken, Lv. 50 (it's a Lv. 1 Spinarak)
    • ANOTHER Darkrai, Lv. 100
    Let's keep this going, though. What does someone desire for the rarest of the rare, the dreaded Rattata?
    • Male Graveler, Lv 100
    • Staryu, any level (...makes SOME sense)
    • Mesprit
    • Qwilfish
    • Lv. 50 Male Steelix
    • Lv. 50 Jirachi
    • <Lv. 10 Chikorita

Are you kidding me? Really? I'd only do that if I had an extra Mesprit lounging around and was thinking to myself "I wish I could do something really stupid with this! How about a level 2 Rattata?" But since I'm not constantly downing Dumbass pills (I ignore my prescription), I don't see that happening anytime in the future.

And why can I only see 7 trades at a time?

It's adorable and all to see all the trainers sitting at the bottom of the screen and I can click them and giggle at all the Ace Trainers there are (ego), but the problem with this is that I only can see 7 people. I'm sure there's someone out there who wasn't hit over the head when they were looking to make a trade, and it would be nice to be able to flip through the,. Even if there's millions of people who are trying to trade away their Shuckle (NO ONE WILL TAKE IT), I should have some way to look through it, maybe in a list form. Here's an idea I just came up with that would be a lot more helpful: A list of desired trades for that Pokemon, in ascending order based on level of the Pokemon they're desiring. Then, on the top screen, there's the info for the Pokemon they're putting up to trade, and their trainer info. Then, I can further sort based on where they're from, what level I'm looking for, and what gender, like the game already has.

But let me keep blowing your mind with my awesome ideas

WHAT IF THE GAME ONLY SHOWED TRADES THAT IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO MAKE. I don't HAVE a Darkrai, so I don't care who wants one. Hell, I want one too. The game has the ability to read into the Pokemon you have already, since when you click 'make trade' the Pokemon in question is highlighted. So why not base the entire trading screen on that? It should know what I do and don't have. I know it's been said that Japan doesn't get the internet, but some of this stuff isn't rocket science, you know. Why can't I sort based on multiple countries, either? What if I really want a mix of trades from Mexico and Japan? Outta luck, it's all or one. It's especially weird since I can look at trades from, say Beirut. Who's playing Pokemon, Wi-Fi, in Beirut? Exactly (well, if your answer is "no one", that is). It's just bogging down the menus to have so many options for such an archaic system. 

But let's talk mathiness now

Pokemon's got math equations going behind the scenes all the time. Why not add another one? This one's for stupidness of the trade. See, what they can run is the commonness of the Pokemon that is being offered divided by the commonness of the Pokemon they want times the level of offered divided by level of wanted and something like that, and maybe something about the current popularity of the Pokemon offered. If it's within a certain range, they let you set up the trade, but if it's outside of that range, then it will send an error message, or at least a warning message, that the trade isn't fair or likely and may not get picked up. I ain't no mathologist, but I know that they'd be able to come up with something. That way, REAL trades would pop up, with a few weird outliers (Level 1 Bulbasaur for a Level 20 Raichu or something, I dunno), so that after several hours of searching, I won't have just 3 trades at the GTS over 2 games. 

On the other hand...

Being able to download battle videos and trade with friends over the Wi-Fi is pretty good. In fact, if I had friends, it would be the best system since sliced bread. But I'm not here to praise. Who compliments on the internet? I'm just hoping that they manage to make SOMETHING better for Black and White. Really, what could be worse?
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Supermarius

yeah, well it is a great system. Great potential, but people ruined it. It's not game freak's fault. Nintendo can't force 12 year olds to offer reasonable trades and they can't stop people from hacking their local save files. Its sad that people feel the need to cheat at everything, but they do. I dont think there is really a way to fix it honestly unless players did not have local save files, but then the game wouldnt be portable. At least you can still use message boards to set up legit wi-fi trades, although there's no guarantee the person you trade with wont promise not to trade you a hacked guy, and then trade you a hacked guy anyways.

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By macandcheese
    @Romination: The concept of stopping trades from being started seems rediculous to me, Maybe a warning message that the trade seems unlikly but I know I have used that rediculous set ups, like a bulbasor for a Darkrai to make sure no one would steal my trade partner. 

On a more useful no NEVER use the GTS that place is a HUGE hack fest, maybe some of the deals might be okay but you are either gonna get a hacked pokemon or get ripped off, and quite possibly both. If you want to find good trades I suggest Serebii.net. They have great trading boards and have been nice and active since the release of HGSS.
     http://www.serebiiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

This shit's been going since Diamond and Pearl. My solution is just to put some high level monster up or even a legendary every time I need something pathetic and can't be bothered getting it myself or going to a board to ask for a trading partner, although not everyone has the luxury of having a bunch of crap from their past Pokemon games on the GBA stashed away in all of their PC boxes. :/

Edit: there's also the fact that a lot of people are using a glitch in the GTS to clone their Pokemon, which leads to a lot of the weird offers you may see. Not all of them, sure, but certainly if I was cloning a Pokemon of mine I'd make the offer for something that's either really rare and worth getting in return, or something that's impossible without hacking to minimise the chances of having your precious duder taken away by mistake.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

I hate the fact that you can't search for a specific pokemon on GTS if its info is not in your pokedex.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Romination
    @Axxol said:
    " I hate the fact that you can't search for a specific pokemon on GTS if its info is not in your pokedex. "
    shoot, I forgot to complain about that.
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By halberdierv2

annoying nooby kids putting up cheat pokemon is part of the reason i dont really bother with the WiFI when I go home, i only use it to get event pokemon and such. otherwise, its broken, and you have to do direct trades. good places for that i know of are GameFAQs/GameSpot, PokeCommunity and Serebii, and i wouldnt doubt there are more.

WhytePanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WhytePanther

One thing I used to do back when D/P came out, was breed a semi-rare Pokemon, (Like Spiritomb for example), and put it up for any level Ditto.  I needed a variety of offbrand Dittos of various natures to make breeding faster, seemed like an easy way to do it.  Worked pretty much every time.   So yes, it's craigslist for Pokemon, but you don't want to browse listings, you want to post ads yourself.  Breed up a spare of whatever you have around, starters (especially female starters), rare things that people might have missed catching like Snorlax or Sudowoodo, whatever.  You should be able to get pretty much any non-legendary this way.  Sometimes, you even can get legendaries this way.

Also I somehow got a Japanese Dialga from GTS, don't remember what for.  That was pretty cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.