Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Ending...(spoilers?)

SuperZamrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperZamrod

How cool would it have been that if at the end when Chell gets out onto the wheat field, one of those giant combine strider things was there?  I mean this is set in the Half-life universe afterall...

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The Borealis dry dock was enough cross over stuff for me. It was empty and mysterious.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#3  Edited By Mento  Moderator

HL2: Episode 3's gold trophy/100 point achievement is carrying the charred Weighted Companion Cube over ten miles to be put into the spaceship to recover Wheatley.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Wasn't it confirmed a while ago that it was set in the half life universe?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @Bloodgraiv3 said:
    "

Wasn't it confirmed a while ago that it was set in the half life universe?

"
    That's exactly the OPs point. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @flawless2c said:
    " How cool would it have been that if at the end when Chell gets out onto the wheat field, one of those giant combine strider things was there?  I mean this is set in the Half-life universe afterall... "
    Way to take a subtle sweet thing and turn it into a sledgehammer made of molasses.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Capum15
    @Mento said:
    " HL2: Episode 3's gold trophy/100 point achievement is carrying the charred Weighted Companion Cube over ten miles to be put into the spaceship to recover Wheatley. "
    Completely opposite of the usual subtlety? Yes. Would it be pretty fucking awesome? Of course.

Then Freeman reunites Wheatly and Chell, he apologizes and then they all beat the combine menace together through the power of sheer awesome (Portals and Crowbar, to be specific). But they almost lose at the end to a super-overseer thing (forget the name of them), until GLaDOS comes up with P-Body and Atlas and a few thousand turrets to blast the hell out of it. Then it gets Portal'd to the sun.

Then the end is all of them walking away from explosions. Even GLaDOS, somehow. Just random explosions, too, not even a facility exploding. Because it would've already exploded.

That would be the embodiment of stupidity, but damn it would be pretty awesome.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @flawless2c said:
    " How cool would it have been that if at the end when Chell gets out onto the wheat field, one of those giant combine strider things was there?  I mean this is set in the Half-life universe afterall... "
    Portal 2 takes place an indefinite number of centuries after Portal 1, which is set during the events (or at least, during the first moments) of Half Life and the Combine invasion. By the time Chell's been freed from GLaDOS and Aperture, it's most likely that the Combine have already been beaten and Freeman and the others have been dead for many, many years. Unless, of course, they were put in suspended animation or something like that by the G-Man.

But, yeah. I don't think Chell's going to be directly linked to Half Life at all. Aperture Science? Yes, definitely. They'll play an important role in HL3 or HL:E3 or however they decide to call it. Everything points at the Borealis being pivotal in the defeat of the Combine. But Chell is a character of her own, if I have to guess. The same goes for GLaDOS, Wheatley and Rattman. They probably won't be crossing over to the "proper" Half Life settings if I have to guess.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The lack of anything Half-Life related in Portal 2 (save for the dry dock) was kind of stupid to me. Why involve the two franchises if you never intend to do anything with it? I'm not asking for a preview of Episode 3 (ALTHOUGH THAT WOULD BE NICE VALVE), but something a little more concrete than hearsay would be nice.

Honestly looking at the wheat field, I expected a Hunter to pop out before the fade to black. Something. Anything, really. You can't just say "Yeah they're totally connected and share the same universe" and then do nothing with it. It makes Valve look like they were talking out of their asses or, at worst, trying to bait HL fans into a guaranteed purchase of Portal 2.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MiniPato
    @KingWilly said:
    " The lack of anything Half-Life related in Portal 2 (save for the dry dock) was kind of stupid to me. Why involve the two franchises if you never intend to do anything with it? I'm not asking for a preview of Episode 3 (ALTHOUGH THAT WOULD BE NICE VALVE), but something a little more concrete than hearsay would be nice.

Honestly looking at the wheat field, I expected a Hunter to pop out before the fade to black. Something. Anything, really. You can't just say "Yeah they're totally connected and share the same universe" and then do nothing with it. It makes Valve look like they were talking out of their asses or, at worst, trying to bait HL fans into a guaranteed purchase of Portal 2.
    "
    Why should they have to include anything Half Life related other than what's there? You're at Aperture Science, isn't that enough? They don't want to rely on Portal 1 for any of their old jokes and they certainly don't want to rely on the Half Life to craft Portal 2, except for being in the same universe. Portal 1 was a small project and its success unknown, they could afford to tie it into the half life universe as a little nod to fans, so you could hardly say it was their intention to bait fans into buying a sequel. The best thing about Portal 2 is that it doesn't take the easy way out to get cheap laughs or excitement. It somehow created its own world within the half life universe and made you forget that it was set in the half life universe. Portal 2 is a story of its own, not a side story to half life. Including anything more than some easter eggs and a Black Mesa namedrop here and there would completely take me out of the experience and cheapen it. Besides we don't even know how many years after the events in Half Life that Portal 2 takes place. For all we know Chell could be the last person on earth or something.

The only people baiting themselves into buying Portal 2 are Half Life fans. From everything I've seen, never once have I seen Portal 2 marketed as "The must have Half Life companion piece!"
    SuperZamrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SuperZamrod

Well guys look at this little treasure I found. From Erik Wolpaw (the writer of Portal 2 I believe) himself, responding to a question about the ending of the game:

"We did three endings, it’s a long series of endings. We wanted to show you GlaDOS, show you Chell and then show you Wheatley – GlaDOS learns a lesson and promptly deletes it so she can set herself back to zero. You learn whatever you learn and you’re out and it doesn’t look so bad – but we know the Combine’s probably lurking out there somewhere . And you get the Companion Cube back – that could be good or bad, it’s not really clear. In my mind GlaDOS has given you the Companion Cube like “take your shit and go”, or the Companion Cube has been on its own adventure this whole time and just manages to escape at exactly the same moment you do, in which case it’s probably pissed.."

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/26/erik-wolpaw-on-portal-2s-ending-the-spoiler-is-probably-lurking-out-there-somewhere/

Jack_Frost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jack_Frost

Woulldn't that be crazy if in a DLC they managed to make a few levels that showed what happens to the companion cube?

I don't know how they'd do it, but that could be cool...

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By valiantgrizzly
    @Jack_Frost said:
    " Woulldn't that be crazy if in a DLC they managed to make a few levels that showed what happens to the companion cube?I don't know how they'd do it, but that could be cool... "
    I would absolutely love that.
    mikeNgary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikeNgary
    @JoeyRavn:

I know it takes place later but it's fun to think about. We do know this. The Combine were planning on depleting Earths resources, drain the Earth's oceans, and that obviously hasn't happened since there are clouds and what looks like a balanced ecosystem.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Despite what Wolpaw may have said, nothing is really set in stone until they decide to put it in the games and having a Strider out there would have solidly confirmed the idea that way into the future, the Combine are still ruling the Earth, probably not something they want to do at this point. The image of Combine on the surface would also have spoiled the almost eerily perfect vision of the surface that is shown at the end of the game, it's completely not what they were going for.

As for the Companion Cube I saw it as GLaDOS, despite resenting you, being nice enough to return it at the game, although I don't think the Companion Cube can really have adventures. I love CC as much as the next guy, but a Companion Cube DLC? There's only so much you can do with a character that is literally a metal box. I also feel like that would lean too heavily on the jokes of the original Portal, something they were clearly trying to avoid with Portal 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.