Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Getting the PC version through the PS3 version

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Stete

Has anyone tried this? Ive already preordered the ps3 version (I live in the UK and this doesn't come out until thursday) even though I pretty much plan to play the game on the PC, and I have a hunch that this is gonna be a painful process akin to getting stuff to work on the Bioware social site, so ye, please giant bombers, prove me wrong and set my mind at ease.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sogeman

They said you link your PS3 with Steam and then you get the game (probably directly into your Steam list)

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By zero_

Would be nice if GB had a review for the PS3 edition, with at least some information regarding the Steam works :/

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Stete said:
    " Has anyone tried this? Ive already preordered the ps3 version (I live in the UK and this doesn't come out until thursday) even though I pretty much plan to play the game on the PC, and I have a hunch that this is gonna be a painful process akin to getting stuff to work on the Bioware social site, so ye, please giant bombers, prove me wrong and set my mind at ease. "
    Easy as pie. 

You log into your Steam account through PS3, then verify it on the PC.

Boom! Two copies ago-go.
    suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By suikoden352

so say if i were to create a seperate account for my friend on my ps3, and then set up his steam account on that account, would he be able to receive the code for the pc version and play co-op with me since my steam account wouldn't be in use and unable to do co-op at the same time??

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Stete
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Stete said:
    " Has anyone tried this? Ive already preordered the ps3 version (I live in the UK and this doesn't come out until thursday) even though I pretty much plan to play the game on the PC, and I have a hunch that this is gonna be a painful process akin to getting stuff to work on the Bioware social site, so ye, please giant bombers, prove me wrong and set my mind at ease. "
    Easy as pie. 

You log into your Steam account through PS3, then verify it on the PC.

Boom! Two copies ago-go.
    "
    Excellent! Glad its such a simple process! If it was any other company you would probably have to enter 5 cd keys and send a urine sample for ID verification :P
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

So I can rent it on the ps3 and get it for free on the pc?

napalmtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalmtrees

It is my understanding it comes with a single use code that you can redeem only with an account that has been linked to a psn ID

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vitor
    @suikoden352 said:
    " so say if i were to create a seperate account for my friend on my ps3, and then set up his steam account on that account, would he be able to receive the code for the pc version and play co-op with me since my steam account wouldn't be in use and unable to do co-op at the same time?? "
    No - the PSN account version is seen as the same as the Steam version so you can't play both online at the same time.

If you were to do so, I suggest you link it to a fake PSN account and then just log in with your real one after. That might work.
    suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By suikoden352
    @Vitor: that's what i was inferring to. i got 2 codes for portal 2 for pc and i was gonna make my friend a fake account since he doesn't have a ps3 and then register his steam account on his account while i register my steam account on my main profile. that way he could play on his pc while i play on my ps3.
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By nukesniper
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " So I can rent it on the ps3 and get it for free on the pc? "
    I bet it comes with a code. I'm waiting for mine to come from UPS, but I'll post here once I do the Steamworks linking.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

A valve employee confirmed on steam forums  that you can play co-op with your single ps3 disc if you wanted.    The code for the PC version could be used on one steam account.   Then you could create another psn account and steam account on your ps3 disc to play co-op with your pc account.    This also means you could sell your ps3 disc on ebay no problem if you wanted to just snag the pc copy and then get your money back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.