Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Power Up

Concept »

Power Ups can be used to give the controlling character, or any other character, temporary or permanent upgrades.

The difference between item and power up

Blade_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Blade_Hunter

Yeah I ask this because basically I misunderstand something about this, most games features items and power ups, I know that a power up is an item in a game, but I think there is something I am missing the subtle difference between the two.
    I want also to make an article about power ups because there is a lot to discuss and explain. I mean we have to define what are the things that makes an item being a power up, what are the things they dos and what positive or negative effects they can do, etc.
    Feel free to discuss.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ineedaname

Define said "items" you're talking about.

Power ups, as the description says grants an upgrade.
    Item seems to relate more to objects.

Blade_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Blade_Hunter

Yeah, that's the thing so a power up is an upgrade, so I agree with this.
    It can be permanent (until we die) or we change (this is the case where power ups change weapons) or temporary (until the timer is down) 
    But the problem I have with this it's the fact that's not fully accurate, I mean
    What I have to consider to be a power up or can they be both things ? I will give some examples, because my English is unfortunately not very good.

The suits, like a radiation suit like an armor (to give my opinion on this I consider the armor when it's permanent or hitpoint based as an item and the one who is timed as a power up, but this is a bit unclear to me)
    The mega health or even health packs, health booters ,(For the health packs, and health boosters I consider them to be items, the problem comes when they give a temporary health bonus like in games such as quake where the health drops if we have more than 100 to reach again the 100 HP)
    A weapon upgrade, like a scope, a clip extender and such things (I have the tendency to consider them as items and properly upgrades, however there is some of them who sounds to be a sort of power up in my appreciation, in shadow warrior we have an heat seeking card that provides to the missiles the heat seeking ability but only for 5 missiles, after that we have to find an other card to regain thin ability)

I hope that my writing isn't too awful to read, but that's because I'm a foreigner :/ and thanks for your time

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.