Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Dec 02, 2008

A 2008 entry into the Prince of Persia franchise titled simply "Prince of Persia", this game stars an all-new Prince as he teams up with the mysterious Elika to fight Ahriman and cleanse the world of his corruption.

Weird PC Performance Issues

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By impartialgecko

So I bought this for $2.49 during the Steam Sale, I always heard great things about it but I figured I'd wait for a sale because I love a cel-shaded look in high definition. Being a 2008 game I thought it was relatively safe to max out the settings and for the tutorial up until it opens out onto the plains it was looking fantastic at a solid 60 fps. Running towards the tree-temple thing I got huge drops in frames from 60 to 30 for no apparent reason.

I tried monkeying around to see what was causing the framerate to halve and I couldn't nail down what was doing it. According to fraps, the framerate wasn't dropping when looking at anything in particular. The framerate would just dive when walking forward.

According to the Ubisoft forum, there's no difference between "Medium and High" graphics quality when you have high res textures enabled apart from serious performance drops on the High setting. When I set it to medium, the game looked no different and ran at 60 with no dips whatsoever. Everything else was maxed during all this.

Have any of you guys had this issue? I'm guessing plenty of people will have picked this one up during the sale.

I literally have no idea about PC specs so here there's if something about them will explain this weirdness: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, RAM: 4gb,GeForce GTS 450 2.7gb. I do know that they're all above the recommended settings.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

GTS 450 would not be sufficient to max this with a consistent 60fps, the performance you're getting is normal. The good news is the plains leading towards the tree temple is probably the most demanding part of the game, your performance should be fine in most of the other areas.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By impartialgecko

@Geno: Thanks, although the message boards dated back to 08 were having the same dips on cards that aren't even in production now. Are there any other spots where the game gets hairy? I wouldn't mind if I could cap it at 30 if it would just stay consistent.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.