The 'Avatar' movie may be old news at this point, but it's still being shown in 3D at the cinemas nationwide so I'm typing about it. It's my blog, and to quote a certain Eric Cartman:"I don't care! I'll do what I want!"
Onto the blog part.
So I bought some cinema vouchers for my mum on her birthday not long ago and she'd got it into her silly little head that she wanted to go see 'The Avatar'
I was pretty much dreading going the whole trip to the cinemaplex.
I mean, for me, the whole idea that while the main character was off siding with the Navvi while his body was back at base camp, and could easily be unplugged at the Human bad guys discretion, seriously put a sour note in my tune for this movie. A dent in my mental paint work you could also say. Thanks to Giantbombs' quicklook that is. How were they to know anything right?
My mum was looking forward to it a lot, so since I bought her the gift I was kind of resigned to go with. Irony's a bitch right?
While the movie is extremely predictable, it's kind of a fun ride.
As one example of just how predictable, I'll describe a situation in the movie that is so annoyingly... Umm... Annoying! That I had to stand up whilst there, to leave, and then turn back around, out of guilt, and sit on down again.
So about a quarter of the way in, the main female Navvi (Neytiri) is tasked with showing the main character, Jake sully, everything Navvi. And decides to show Jake the Navvis' mental and/or spiritual connection with all life on Pandora and Pandora itself (The Navvis' homeworld... I know right, who would go to a place, other than morons, called Pandora?) And to show Jake this connection she calls for her flying animal. (I'll just call it/them terrodactyls to save time.) Neytiri calls it down and tells Jake that only the terrodactyls "chosen" can look it in the eyes. And that he would have to choose his own terrodactyl and that the terrodactyl would have to choose him too, and fight it out to decide who out of Jake and the terrodactyl can win the battle of wills. Nothing is too obivous by this point other than the fact that Jake is pretty obviously going to have one later in the movie.
Hint for the dumb: "He gets one..."
Then later Neytiri and Jake are flying around and just generally doing the whole romance of two opposites thing. (This surely won't cause any problems with the people back home with their own agendas.) When all of a sudden a Humongous-super-terrodactyl tries to attack them. (Again, for the dumb out there. It's hunting them, you know... For food.) They get away and Neytiri tells Jake about how her grandfather managed to overpower the will of a past Humongous-super-terrodactyl and brought together all the Navvi on Pandora to fight a common enemy under one banner. And that no one had managed to do it since.
You'd never guess who's flying it later!
Yes! You guessed it! Neytiri!
Wait! What! No! I meant Jake Sully... Typo...(Yeah right! Typo my ass!)
Anyway, Predictability aside it turns out to be pretty fun.
The 3D's pretty sweet and totally not in your face. Some of it made my eyes feel boseyed when I looked directly at what was been 3D-ised on the screen but overall it was done very well.
And while I think the story couldn't have been more contrived from pre-owned merchandise, *cough* Fern gully *cough* Dances with Wolves *cough*. It tells this aged story with a different environment and some great realistic tech demoed cut scenes. All leading to a following of people all knowing but not caring that it's crappy but for the same reason very, very good.
Oops! Did I just type "Tech demoed cut scenes"? I meant.... Eeeeerm... Nevermind! Hey look at the shiny penny! (Throws it away.) Go get the shiny penny! Go on! Where's the shiny penny?! (Shouts after the person running excitedly for the shiny penny.) And forget I ever mentioned anything! (Personally runs in the opposite direction) Now where's my PR guy got to?!
Ah well... At the end of the day it's a must buy even if you hate it. If only to remind you of how good crappy movies can be. :-)
To start off my first blog ever, I'd like to state that without a guy known on the forums as "Vincenotvance" making his own, cool and brutally honest blogs, I would never have been inspired to start this blog thing up. Not anytime soon that is anyway.
Ass kissing out of the way, I'd like to make my first blog as light-hearted a meandor through my gaming thoughts as possible with no real commitments into the blog.
Any disagreements you may have with my views are fine, and I'd love to hear how you came to be confused, annoyed or anything else from that good emotion stuff that rises from your gut. Just don't confuse that request with puking up written diorhea stains on the comments section please. lol. And don't get soppy with me please! I'm straight, always will be, lol. ;-p
So to get started. I'm going to do something on a regular basis, if it proves successful. I'll be calling the "Why this way?" blog.
1. Why do games vendors like 'GAME'(UK) and 'GameStop'(US) have to make a big kafuffle over pre-orders? Offering almost completely insignificant little extras and, in steams case, taking off a small chunk of the price to attract more pre-ordering activities from other people. In the end they end up getting the same amount of money on the same day and they don't seem to gain all that much press from the number of people who have done so.
2. In conjunction to the above "why this way?" point. Demos that are only given to people who pre-order. This one really bumps me. WHY do they do this? It defeats the object of the demo dosn't it? Dictionary description of the word Demo: (Courtesy of Encarta.msn.com.) "Demonstration of product: A demonstration, especially of a new product ( informal )." Do games stores not get this concept or have they simply forgotten the English language and started making their own dictionary?
3. Why does Modern Warfare 2 have to make sense? I'm not a fan boy of any game in particular, I believe that a game should get it's merits based on the quality of it's content, and I'm only a fanboy of quality of content. But people all over the internet commented that the story was nonesense and that whilst it didn't wholly destroy the single-player experience for them, it did dampen it quite a bit. WHY? I'm a gamer that just loves to play a game and find as much satisfaction in the gameplay and epic scales as I can. Modern warfare 2 was throwing bucket loads at people, and people were flecking spoonfull''s off the top of the pile and throwing those spoonfuls back into the buckets. Simply because they could see gaps in the story that made no real sense what so ever. Just enjoy the experience.
4. Why do people complain after they die in multi-players? (I used to be a total hypocrite about this. I trained myself to just say: "Oh well", and it really works.) Too many times I've found myself telling some one to "calm down" after they start growling and grumbling about it, only to find my speaker ear being bombarded with insults I neither deserve nor desire. My respone: "You sir, are muted. Goobye! Mwahahahaaaa."
5. Why do some gamers get territorial when a female gamer is in a game lobby? Trying to show off and be cool in front of her. I find it hilarious when this happens. But I don't get it either... Will this person ever meet the girl in real life with any real likelyhood? Hell no! I mean it's a truly beautiful idea that we could meet our "soul-mate" on Xbox Live. But very silly and kind of sad that a person could ever think that somebody they've never over Xbox Live met could be the love of their life. It's almost too creepy. And it is definitely creepy for any women out there who has to deal with this stuff on a daily basis. For those of the female gamer population that have to put up with this stuff. I apologise, and as a joke contradiction of myself, would ask you for your number except I don't know you and don't want to until you've shown me that you live nearby and aren't some kind of nut job. :-p
I'll leave it at that for this blog.Any helpful comments about how I could improve in format and writing style would be welcome. No insults please, just observations and good opinions please.