Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Punch-Out!!

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Nintendo brings back Little Mac and a slew of memorable opponents in this Wii remake of the cartoon-boxing classic.

Punch-Out!! details (Nintendo PR)

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

Couple days after the press release of dates for upcoming Wii and DS games, Nintendo has dropped off some more info on their games, one of them being Punch-Out!! Classic controls are confirmed (NES style, no Classic Controller or GC Controller). Plus, the motion controls sound like what I expected. It definetely sounds better than Wii Sports Boxing's "all motion based" controls.

KEY INFORMATION
    One of the biggest names in boxing returns after a 15-year hiatus. Grab a Wii Remote™ controller in one hand and a Nunchuk™ controller in the other and step back into the ring with a modern update of the classic Punch-Out!!

* Little Mac is back! Everyone’s favorite underdog from the 1980s joins the best of the original Punch-Out!! cast in a modern re-imagination of the series. Players will find familiar names like Glass Joe, King Hippo and trainer Doc Louis. These boxers come to life again in cel-shaded 3-D, complete with hilarious fighting animations and back stories that capture all the fun and flair of the original Punch-Out!! games.

* The motion-sensitive controls of the Wii console mean that when players throw punches, Little Mac throws punches as well. Additionally, you can control hooks and jabs by combining motion control with control-stick movement. The motion-sensing Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers turn real-life swings into on-screen punches, so anyone can play. The game can also be played with classic NES-style controls by turning the Wii Remote sideways.

Characters: Little Mac, Glass Joe, King Hippo, Doc Louis, Von Kaiser and other unannounced favorites.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Players can obtain special “Star Punches,” which allow Little Mac to take more Health from his rival in a single punch.

Control options:

* Motion Control (Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers)
    Punch-Out!! uses the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers to simulate throwing punches. Use the Nunchuk to throw a left punch and the Wii Remote to throw a right punch.

* Classic Control (Wii Remote NES™ style)
    Fans of the NES version and core gamers will be excited to see Nintendo has also included the option to play Punch-Out!! using the classic layout from the original NES controller. Use the 1 and 2 buttons along with the cross pad to throw hooks and jabs or to dodge.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Somehow, I feel like Nintendo will mess this all up. Just a gut feeling.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By zityz

As long as they have Soda Popinski, this game can't fail.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7
    zityz said:
    "As long as they have Soda Popinski, this game can't fail."
    *Vodka Drunkinski
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By ArcBorealis
    Coltonio7 said:
    "zityz said:
    "As long as they have Soda Popinski, this game can't fail."
    *Vodka Drunkinski"

I concur.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoG

I get the feeling we're getting a remake, but I'd rather play the NES game than a remake.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks
    BoG said:
    "I get the feeling we're getting a remake, but I'd rather play the NES game than a remake."

It's not a remake BoG, these NES style controls are seen as an addition for old fans, nothing more.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not much of a difference between a remake and a sequel when it comes to fighting games anyway. Especially when it's of such an old title and it makes the jump to 3D. Tekken 5 might as well be a remake of 1 if it wasn't for the extra roster from the whole franchise for example.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond
    "Fans of the NES version and core gamers will be excited to see Nintendo has also included the option to play Punch-Out!! using the classic layout from the original NES controller. Use the 1 and 2 buttons along with the cross pad to throw hooks and jabs or to dodge."

Saved the game for me.  Motion controls + buttons to differentiate between types of attacks = ultra fail.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Luke

Hooray for Classic Control!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

The game absolutely has to have Bald Bull. No exceptions.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Not much of a difference between a remake and a sequel when it comes to fighting games anyway. Especially when it's of such an old title and it makes the jump to 3D. Tekken 5 might as well be a remake of 1 if it wasn't for the extra roster from the whole franchise for example."
    The original Tekken? In the original Tekken you couldn't side-step,ten hit combos weren't in the original,the crush system wasn't in the original game as well, and there is also the story.

Also, if I was judging everything else by your logic then everything would be a remake. Like first person shooters like Halo 3 or Platformers like Super Mario Galaxy.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Alternatively, the notion that all a remake can ever hope to do is to touch up the graphics while leaving the gameplay intact with all of its original flaws, exact copies of all its original elements, and no additions whatsoever, is false. Sequels and remakes aren't that different for certain games, it all depends on the developer's intentions and not semantics. Both can aim to bring an older concept to a new age, both can try to faithfully recreate the original experience or overhaul it to better match this new age. I said fighters specifically because you tend to only care about the gameplay and not a storyline, levels, and other such elements that stand out in other genres, like the FPS examples you mention. So, my logic wasn't meant for "everything else" and I specified that much. On the other hand, Doom 3 did start out as a Doom remake concept, so it really is all up to the developer's intentions and vision.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us
    Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    "Somehow, I feel like Nintendo will mess this all up. Just a gut feeling."
    BoG said:
    "I get the feeling we're getting a remake, but I'd rather play the NES game than a remake."
    This and This ^

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Nintendo isn't developing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.