Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games" Carmack

• 111 results
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By DonPixel

@Scotto said:

In all honesty, I think the real lead of this story was kind of buried behind the provocative bit about "lead platforms". This is the important bit:

"Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."

He's trying to explain that the PC not being their lead platform doesn't matter, in their opinion, as much as it seems to matter to others. Effort put into development matters more than the technical side.

And I'll be honest - after you tweak the game's config and launch settings on a PC, the game is fucking gorgeous. Still probably one of the best looking PC games I've ever played. The texturework is gorgeous and endlessly varied, the art direction is strong, the framerate is butter smooth, and it effortlessly renders incredibly complex environments. And because they put the effort in, this same engine scales beautifully to the less powerful consoles.

We need to stop worrying so much about PC prominence, and I say that as a guy who spent over $3000 this year building his own gaming PC from hell.

- Scott

Personally I couldn't agree more with this, There seems to be a misunderstanding that expending more on a PC equals "having the superior version of everything" it usually does but in the limits of a financial logic for developers.

I've been playing RAGE on steam and god it does look amazing the amount of unique assets, some of the best vistas I've seen lately, the quality of the animations and overall smooth feel make it something, design wise the game is quite mediocre thou.

Lucky for me I'm a Nvidia/Intel guy so I'm not experiencing issues, ATI is a decent brand and all but they always have drivers/compatibility problems, since the beginning of time.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @James_ex_machina said:

Does this mean the PC is dead?

No, just that they'll be used for better things, like being a computer.
    Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering how good rage played, and how it mostly looked? Can't say I can complain. Just, next time, pwease do not fricking make the pc launch so awful! Its fine to develop for the consoles, but if you put it on the pc, don't release it broken

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By superfriend

@SeriouslyNow said:

The $2000 figure is bullshit by today's standards of pricing but even IF it wasn't you're missing the point. More expensive luxury items are generally not simpler to use but they do often offer more fidelity. What is true for expensive, high performance sports cars which can require a lot of expensive maintenance is also true of high end gaming PCs. You want a simple plug and play experience and that's what consoles offer, whereas I want higher fidelity and that's what PCs offer.

Yeah, different tastes I guess. What I was trying to say is that the vast majority of people is going to feel alienated from pc gaming when they experience issues like the Rage driver-trouble a couple of times. You may have the patience for this, but I know most people just don´t have that- It´s sad, because stuff like this leads to the PC losing importance again, at a time when it´s pretty clear that the current consoles are on the way out. Whatever. It´s the fault of Bethesda/id. They should have pushed it back a few days, because they probably knew those drivers weren´t ready.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By Jazzycola

That's not really an excuse for putting out a broken game. I get wanting to make it for consoles first but if your product doesn't work properly out of the gate don't put it out. The fact of the matter is there was(and still is) a large percentage of PC gamers that can't even get into the Single Player as it crashes when you get past the first cutscene(if you don't believe me head to the steam forums or ask one of my friends that has it). Have they even tried to respond to those users? No all they keep doing is essentially blaming it on the Users by saying "Well update your video drivers". I'm not even going to get into the fact that I have to use Beta Drivers and edit a config to get no texture pop-in or horrific screen tearing. If you know your product is going to be faulty hold back the release. It's called integrity and if you do put out a product doesn't work properly don't treat your users like they're complete morons.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#106  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @xaLieNxGrEyx said:
    @James_ex_machina said:

Does this mean the PC is dead?

No, just that they'll be used for better things, like being a computer.
    You're right, that is the better use for a PC. But then the better use of a PS3 is to leave it on a high shelf for display, and the best use of an X360 is to stack some documents on top of it, so I'm left with a PC for gaming. It gives me better performance and visuals so hey, it's a win win deal.
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By MideonNViscera

It's funny how the more commonplace computers have become, the less profitable PC gaming apparently has become. It's like every single person on Earth with a computer in 1996 bought Diablo or something haha

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#108  Edited By AV_Gamer

Guys pirating and all this PC gaming dying talk has nothing to do with Rage being so crappy on the PC.

The problem is Rage uses an openGL format and ATI cards specialize in Directx.

And while Nvidia has better openGL support, they've also been falling behind in openGL development as well.

This is why the game is such a crappy port. id software didn't take the time to optimize the game for Directx.

It's their fault for not making sure the game was compatible with current PC video cards.

With that said, I stand by my earlier post about the evolution of console gaming, as far as becoming PC's themselves.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So does that mean they didn't even make an effort with the PC version and it's a crappy port?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110  Edited By EuanDewar

Video Game's are fucking funny shit man.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@MideonNViscera said:

It's funny how the more commonplace computers have become, the less profitable PC gaming apparently has become. It's like every single person on Earth with a computer in 1996 bought Diablo or something haha

Computer gaming is very profitable. This is just the go to excuse when companies don't do their legwork and wish to shield themselves and their partners in corporate doublespeak. If computer gaming wasn't profitable then the Indie scene wouldn't be exploding and people like Notch wouldn't be rich. He doesn't stand alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.