Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

What is there to fix and how do you fix it?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I am about to install Rage on PC and everyone has been talking about fixing the game. I assume there is stuff like bad framerates and texture pop-in but how do you fix it? Here is my rig -

Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

Palit GTX 570

Corsair 6GB Kit (3x2GB), PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3

Western Digital 1TB, Caviar Black, SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache

HAF 932

Also, are there special drivers like there were with the BF3 beta or just the normal drivers you find?

Thanks.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By easthill

Runs great on my PC - i5 2500k, 8 GB RAM, GTX 560 TI.

1920x1080, 4xAA, 4xAF and never dips below 60 fps. I'm using the BF3 BETA drivers. Haven't had any trouble with textures popping in other than a split second when I load a new area.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Why does the PC version of Rage come with 3 discs? >_>

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By Lazyaza

You don't need to fix anything now so long as your drivers are up to date.

They released a patch today that adds more graphical settings and one of them is v-sync thank god.  The game runs perfectly on my setup at max settings, very very little pop-in and no screen tearing at all now.

edit:
    I have an Intel i7 2600 quad core 3.4ghz, Nvidia GTX580 and 8gb of ram.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I seem to be getting Screen tearing. Quite a bit of it.

Can anyone suggest the settings I should have for my rig?

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#6  Edited By Lazyaza
    @NekuSakuraba

You need to enable vsync to fix the tearing.  I couldn't enable it in the game myself until I manually added a profile for Rage via my Nvidia control panel that made sure the games vsync setting could be enabled.
    As for your pc, it is perfectly capable of running the game on high which it should default to anyway.

edit: here's how to make sure vsync can be turned on if it won't let you:
    Open Nvidia control panel by right clicking your Nvidia settings icon in the lower right of your screen.
    Select Manage 3D Settings 
    Select Program Settings
    Click Add
    Go to wherever you installed Rage, I believe all versions require steam so it'll be in your Steam/steamapps/common/Rage folder
    Select Rage's exe file, it'll be the only one you can in the folder
    Now that it's added you can manually alter the settings for the game, you want to scroll down to Vertical sync
    Select "use the 3D application setting"
    Now open up rage go to video options and you can now toggle vsync on.  This should fix screen tearing.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Lazyaza said:

@NekuSakuraba:

You need to enable vsync to fix the tearing. I couldn't enable it in the game myself until I manually added a profile for Rage via my Nvidia control panel that made sure the games vsync setting could be enabled.
    As for your pc, it is perfectly capable of running the game on high which it should default to anyway.

Open Nvidia control panel by right clicking your Nvidia settings icon in the lower right of your screen.
    Select Program Settings
    Click Add
    Go to wherever you installed Rage, I believe all versions require steam so it'll be in your Steam/steamapps/common/Rage folder
    Now that it's added you can manually alter the settings for the game, you want to scroll down to Vertical sync
    Now open up rage go to video options and you can now toggle vsync on. This should fix screen tearing.

Yeah, Vsync is on but still having the issue.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Lazyaza said:

@NekuSakuraba:

You need to enable vsync to fix the tearing. I couldn't enable it in the game myself until I manually added a profile for Rage via my Nvidia control panel that made sure the games vsync setting could be enabled.

Select Program Settings
    Click Add
    Now open up rage go to video options and you can now toggle vsync on. This should fix screen tearing.

Yeah, Vsync is on but still having the issue.

Actually, it seems like when I put it on it doesn't stay on, I look at the menu after setting it to Vsync and it's off.

Is that what happened to you?

JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JoeMarsden

If VSync is not staying on, look in your ATi/Nvidia control panel and make sure that RAGE (or RAGE.exe) does NOT have VSync forced off...which it does by default through your GPU's control panel.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

@NekuSakuraba said:

PC games still come on discs?

The game runs perfectly with no tweaking on an i5 2500k @ 4.2Ghz, a 570, and 8 GBs of ram. You should be fine too, this game runs well on damn near anything.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Screen tearing fixed, now I'm getting framerate issues...

>_>

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By AV_Gamer

This recent fix seems to work with a lot of people.

This fix is only for people with ATI cards that are only getting 1 FPS.

First create a shortcut of the exe file to your desktop

Set the file to Windows98/Me compatibility mode. (trust me)

Then add this instruction to the Target bar:

+cvaradd jobs_numThreads -1

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@NekuSakuraba said:

>_>

Yup, read the release notes for the recent patch and it should help you understand why. Basically if your PC can't run at 60fps reliably, it will dip to 30fps.. like like every other game if you use vsync, and it's pretty jarring most of the time. Most people prefer tearing to the frame drop.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By JP_Russell

@NekuSakuraba said:

Because the game is over 21 gigs in size (which might be compressed, dunno), which comes to just under the capacity that 3 single-sided, double-layer DVD's can hold.

@XII_Sniper said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

PC games still come on discs?

I got my copy on disc from Newegg because it had a promo deal for $42. I'm actually quite glad I have Rage on disc because of how huge it is. Even installing from the disc, it took half an hour, where downloading 21.6GB of data from Steam would have taken me just over 4 hours at best.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DeathTrap

The RageConfig files from the Steam forums work really well (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2156408) Additionally, here's a response I got from Steam support on fixing it...seems to work alright:

RAGE currently does not have a menu option to turn V-sync on or off. To avoid tearing you can force v-sync to be turned on by entering the following launch option into Steam:

+r_swapInterval 1

If you are having issues with blurry textures and texture popping:

The texture streaming is limited by the performance and number of cores of the main processor (CPU).

The higher the resolution at which the game renders and the higher the anti-aliasing setting, the more texture data is needed to texture the environment.

If you do not have a high end CPU you may momentarily see blurrier textures and texture popping when the view changes quickly.

If you have a processor with two or four cores and you have a high end NVIDIA graphics card then you can try turning on the "GPU Transcode" menu option in the video settings menu in RAGE. By enabling this option a large percentage of the texture calculations are moved to the graphics processor.

However, this option is not available on all graphics hardware and may not appear in the menu if your hardware does not support the necessary features.

On processors with two or four cores without the ability to turn on "GPU Transcode" you can significantly improve the texture streaming performance by adding the following to the RAGE launch options in Steam:

+vt_maxPPF 16

If you have a dual core processor then you can set a lower value like:

+vt_maxPPF 8

If setting these values does not improve the texture streaming performance for you then consider lowering the anti-aliasing setting in the video settings menu in RAGE.

You may, for instance, observe slow texture streaming at high resolutions like 2500 x 1600 with anti-aliasing set to 16X.

In some cases lowering the anti-aliasing to 8X fixes the problem but lower settings may further improve the texture streaming. Alternatively, or in addition, you can lower the resolution.)

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@DJJoeJoe said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

>_>

Yup, read the release notes for the recent patch and it should help you understand why. Basically if your PC can't run at 60fps reliably, it will dip to 30fps.. like like every other game if you use vsync, and it's pretty jarring most of the time. Most people prefer tearing to the frame drop.

My PC should be able to run at a consistent 60 frames though, so what's causing the problem?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Okay, so even if I'm standing still the game will drop from 60 - 30.

I've been trying to put up with it but it's making the game sorta unplayable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.