Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rare Replay

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 04, 2015

In celebration of their 30th anniversary, Rare brings a collection of 30 games from their back catalog to the Xbox One, from Battletoads to Viva Piñata.

All these Banjo games; where should I start?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Poll All these Banjo games; where should I start? (165 votes)

Banjo-Kazooie 67%
    Banjo-Tooie 3%
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts 29%

So I've never played a Banjo game. I mean I fiddled around with Nuts & Bolts for a bit at my friends house once, but outside of that I have very little exposure to the series. With Rare Replay installed on my Xbox I'm looking forward to playing through at least one of these, but I'm not sure where to start. Is Banjo-Tooie a more refined experience than the first game? Do I need some sort of lore background if I want to jump straight into that? Nuts & Bolts is so different that I may look into it as a side excursion, but if y'all duders think that it's a much better game then I may just skip the originals.

• 
    JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I personally would say play some of the first game to get a feel for what that game is/was, then move on to Nuts and Bolts. That is purely because I love the charm of that game and the mechanics of it and the trial and error nature of the tasks in game. However, I probably am on the outside of the majority on this one.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

The first one. Easily. Classic game, go with the series chronologically if you can.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Just play the first hour or so of the first and Tooie, than move on to Nuts & Bolts. I really don't think those first two games have aged well at all.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Just play the first hour or so of the first and Tooie, than move on to Nuts & Bolts. I really don't think those first two games have aged well at all.

Bullshit. The first two are still fantastic.

You should start with Banjo-Kazooie. It's a smaller game than the others, so it won't take long to complete and it's worth it. I like Banjo-Tooie a lot, especially because of its Metroidvania style world designs and character progression, but it's magnitudes more difficult and complex later on than Banjo-Kazooie. Finally, Nuts 'n Bolts is a pretty different experience, but you'll get more out of it if you at least have knowledge of the first game's plot and characters. Personally, I think you should complete them all, but you should at least finish Banjo-Kazooie. It's great.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

As much as I like the first two Banjo games, you have to have some sort of appreciation and tolerance for them if you're playing for the first time. They are dated collectionathons with some awkward controls, albeit with a lot of charm and fun to be had. Do you really like old-school platformers? Give the old games a try, starting with the original. Otherwise, just go to Nuts and Bolts and have fun.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Start with the originals, they're still worth playing IMO, but I have major nostalgia/appreciation for them since I was the right age at their release. Nuts & Bolts is amazing and not enough people played it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Banjo-Kazooie is still a classic, but if it isn't grabbing you after the first few worlds just move onto Nuts and Bolts. Banjo-Tooie is more of the same, albeit with much more complicated world design.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
    deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nuts and Bolts is garbage. Play through the first two.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would go chronologically.

But nuts & bolts is an awesome game, don't listen to the haters.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the first two hold up well enough if you are or ever were into 3D collect-a-thon platformers. Nuts and Bolts is more of a vehicle builder game but it's actually pretty awesome.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gruff182

Start with nuts and bolts, and then end there.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

Well, I can't really speak for you, but here's how I would approach it:

Step 1: Play some of Kazooie, maybe a couple hours, maybe all of it if you're having fun.
    Step 2: Move onto Tooie, play all of it.
    Step 3: Start playing Nuts and Bolts
    Step 4: Swallow sadness and disappointment and hope Yooka-Laylee can pull it off.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I don't really know what the state of the ports is for Rare Replay, but if they're the XBLA versions then they are excellent versions. Banjo 1 holds up well, if you're accustomed to that era of platformers. I never played Banjo Tooie, so I can't help you there.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chronological. Not complicated.

First two are some of the best of the best of the genre. Nuts and Bolts is......well....you'll see.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By FacelessVixen

Echoing the "play them in order" people, but If you can, play the N64/original version of Rusty Bucket Bay in Banjo 1. That 'll grow some hair on your chest.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lazyimperial

Hm. I played Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts first and enjoyed its self-deprecating humor and frequent pokes at early 3D platformers. Then when I went back and played Banjo-Kazooie proper, it was all the more hilarious because it tied into the 2008 game's humor so perfectly.

At the very least, you should watch the introduction of Banjo-Kaziie: Nuts & Bolts first to set the stage for how many things you are actually going to have to collect in both the original one and its sequel. :-P

Loading Video...

AdventFalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

Play the games to completion in order. B-K is relatively short and the XBLA version doesn't have the 'collect 100 notes in 1 visit' problem anymore. B-T is more complex but that's a bit reason it's beloved and why a lot of the fanbase didn't like Nuts and Bolts (or why the staff do).

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gruff182 said:

Start with nuts and bolts, and then end there.

Do not listen to this crazy human being

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hatking

I came to the Banjo games pretty late, when they were re-released on XBLA. I have a pretty high tolerance for old-game-jank, but they seemed totally fine as far as modern platformers go. I'd at least give the first game a shot to get an idea of the series roots, but I wouldn't feel too bad about it if you don't finish it. Nuts & Bolts is absolutely incredible and a game you should definitely see.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real secret about Banjo games is that none of them are very good. Nuts and Bolts is fun but it's not what you would call a great game. The original two Banjos (and Donkey Kong 64 which is pretty much part of the series) were mediocre when they came out and have aged terribly. Not sure if the 360 versions manage to fix the clunky controls and the bad camera, but even if they do the games won't be necessarily compelling unless you really do love collecting everything. Honestly, it was just a time when people were craving for more 3D platformers and Banjo filled that hole.

They have decent music though, so there's that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Nuts and Bolts clearly. The first two are pretty good platformers but Nuts and Bolts is an insanely creative and fun game.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hey man, I just wanna let you know you're missing the Gamboy Advance game Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge game on your list. I'd probably just start from the first one but I wasn't all that big on these game growing up.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris said:

The real secret about Banjo games is that none of them are very good. Nuts and Bolts is fun but it's not what you would call a great game. The original two Banjos (and Donkey Kong 64 which is pretty much part of the series) were mediocre when they came out and have aged terribly. Not sure if the 360 versions manage to fix the clunky controls and the bad camera, but even if they do the games won't be necessarily compelling unless you really do love collecting everything. Honestly, it was just a time when people were craving for more 3D platformers and Banjo filled that hole.

This is a load of horseshit. Ignore this man.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Banjo 1 is still great, I'd start with that. I don't like Tooie much but I'm in the minority. I haven't played Nuts and Bolts but it always looked incredible.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Tooie makes Kazooie feel like a proof of concept (think Assassin's Creed 1 vs Assassin's Creed 2), but there are still a bunch of little references and stuff that you might not understand if you don't play through Kazooie.

People who like Nuts and Bolts the most actually just don't like Banjo games. Nuts and Bolts is clever for a little bit but it's not even remotely the same type of game as the first two; there's a reason people are excited for Yooka-Laylee.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris said:

They have decent music though, so there's that.

Nothing said here is true at all. People loved them then and still do now.

Also you've gotta have some incredibly high standards for controls to think old Banjo controls are at all clunky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.