Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ready 2 Rumble Revolution

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 17, 2009

The Dreamcast cartoon boxing series returns, this time on the Wii.

Atari Reviving Ready 2 Rumble On Wii

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Fake-Hoff needs cheeseburger, stat.
    Remember Ready 2 Rumble? If you weren't heavy into the Dreamcast, you might not. These were two cartoonish boxing games released by Midway for Sega's last and final console, the second game of which got ported to the PlayStation 2 at some point. They were fun enough in their day, but the most memorable thing about R2R to me wasn't the shallow gameplay but rather the goofy, stereotypical mascot, Afro Thunder.

EA Sports picked up and ran with the Ready 2 Rumble concept in Facebreaker a few months ago, so now seems like an appropriate time for the original series to make a comeback. Atari has apparently picked up the franchise rights from Midway, and they're now pushing out Ready 2 Rumble Revolution on the Wii.

The game has the kind of motion-based boxing gameplay you'd expect from, well, a Wii boxing game. Announcer Michael Buffer (the "Let's get ready to rummmmmmmbblllllllllllllllle!!!!!!!!!!!!" guy) is onboard, and all the included characters are patterned after celebrities. The three in my demo resembled Arnold Schwarzenegger, David Hasselhoff, and...Shawn White? Sure!

There's a surprisingly involved character creator in Revolution that lets you pick a nickname that Buffer will verbalize from time to time, as well as fighting styles that influence the sort of animations and special attacks your dude or dudette will have available. You get some goofy results by mixing different body parts, clothing styles, and fighting types (especially between both genders). There are a bunch of motion-based minigames that you can play to buff up your created boxer's stats, too.

Revolution seems about like what you'd expect from a new Ready 2 Rumble game on the Wii. It isn't exactly going to make you put down Fight Night if you're into serious boxing games, but there's comedy value in the Hollywood caricatures and created characters, and the boxing action itself has an amusing party-game feel that might be entertaining at your next drunken gathering.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    Remember Ready 2 Rumble? If you weren't heavy into the Dreamcast, you might not. These were two cartoonish boxing games released by Midway for Sega's last and final console, the second game of which got ported to the PlayStation 2 at some point. They were fun enough in their day, but the most memorable thing about R2R to me wasn't the shallow gameplay but rather the goofy, stereotypical mascot, Afro Thunder.

EA Sports picked up and ran with the Ready 2 Rumble concept in Facebreaker a few months ago, so now seems like an appropriate time for the original series to make a comeback. Atari has apparently picked up the franchise rights from Midway, and they're now pushing out Ready 2 Rumble Revolution on the Wii.

The game has the kind of motion-based boxing gameplay you'd expect from, well, a Wii boxing game. Announcer Michael Buffer (the "Let's get ready to rummmmmmmbblllllllllllllllle!!!!!!!!!!!!" guy) is onboard, and all the included characters are patterned after celebrities. The three in my demo resembled Arnold Schwarzenegger, David Hasselhoff, and...Shawn White? Sure!

There's a surprisingly involved character creator in Revolution that lets you pick a nickname that Buffer will verbalize from time to time, as well as fighting styles that influence the sort of animations and special attacks your dude or dudette will have available. You get some goofy results by mixing different body parts, clothing styles, and fighting types (especially between both genders). There are a bunch of motion-based minigames that you can play to buff up your created boxer's stats, too.

Revolution seems about like what you'd expect from a new Ready 2 Rumble game on the Wii. It isn't exactly going to make you put down Fight Night if you're into serious boxing games, but there's comedy value in the Hollywood caricatures and created characters, and the boxing action itself has an amusing party-game feel that might be entertaining at your next drunken gathering.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Player1

Looks fun. Lets hope its not another dud on the wii.

LeBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LeBart

I'm sorry but, this doesn't look good at all. If you're gonna release a game with 2D crowd in 2008, make sure it's not 3 feet from the camera... This is the Wii goddamnit ! This looks like first generation PS2.

I guess the game could be fun but the level of visual quality of Wii games realy bugs me.
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By jasondaplock

The visual style, particularly the boxers, makes me uneasy. Hopefully the rest of the line-up is less unsettling.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Death_Burnout

AKI, for the love of God, just make another wrestling game...

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RawShark

First Samba de Amigo, now this. Stop plundering the Dreamcast back-catalogue in an effort to produce a decent game, Wii :[

SgtReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By SgtReznor

I think I'd rather play Facebreaker

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#8  Edited By ImperiousRix

Wow... this doesn't look like old Ready 2 Rumble at all.
    Where's all the classic boxers?!  Not to mention the visuals just generally look like crap!
    I know this is just going to be another laughable motion-based boxing game.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Willy105

The graphics are awful!

This is the Wii, not the PS2!

Geez, why is it so hard for developers to care!?!

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Man, I was big into Ready 2 Rumble on the PS1. But ehhh, those screens dont really look like the Ready 2 Rumble that I know. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

R2R was kinda fun, but man....this game looks pretty ugly.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MKHavoc

I remember having fun with the old games, but this just doesn't look very good.  With Punchout! coming out soon for the Wii I don't imagine this selling very well either.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By guanophobic

This must piss that guy who pitched the wii-controls for R2R 2 to the dreamcast off so effin' much! haha

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Stevokenevo

i have a mad amount of nostalgic emotion for the dreamcast R2R games.  From the screen shots and the more-than-likely awful controls this game will have though im not too optimistic.....and i would love a really good new R2R, so much.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Media_Master

don't know about this

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#16  Edited By vigorousjammer

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE OLD CHARACTERS?! I mean, seriously, these new characters look like complete shit...
    If I wanna play some Ready 2 Rumble, I think I'll stick to the Dreamcast games...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.