Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

Which version of Red Dead 2 are you getting?

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Which version of Red Dead 2 are you getting? (243 votes)

Standard Edition 75%
    Special Edition 16%
    Ultimate Edition 8%

I know it's kinda silly and I'm a bit annoyed that I need to make a choice like this but I'm torn between getting just the standard edition and the special edition. Considering the special edition has extra game content, which Rockstar claims are just side missions with no story bearing, I still feel like it'd be nice to have the option to have them. It also doesn't sound like they'll be coming free later or there has been no such communication that this would be the case. But my guess is that this will be probably half an hour worth of content at best. I'll almost assuredly not get the ultimate edition.

So I'm wondering what everyone here is getting and why?

• 
    frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm pretty confident that just the main game will be more than enough Rockstar horsies and cowboys for me, so standard will do fine.

CrazyCarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed, game looks to be packed with content. Standard version will be sufficient. I'll consider a more complete DLC package if/when it becomes available.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standard and the PS4 version. I have an X, but if by some crazy chance I want to try-out Red Dead Online one day, I'll have friends who own the game on PS4. Ain't no one who plays on Xbone. Plus I trust that the differences between Pro and X ain't anything that dramatic.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: don't think it's been completely confirmed but there was news out there that the game is targeting native 4k on the x.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X1X thermal design is a bigger deal to me than whether or not they can pull off stable 4K/30. I get really sick of listening to the PS4 turbojet fan.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: 1000% this! I have both a pro and an X and I would never consider getting the PS4 version despite the early dlc. The PS4 will undoubtedly sound like it’s launching into the stratosphere while running this game.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Special Edition, only because it comes bundled with the X1X. I have no idea what the extras are, shark cards?

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead 2 came out in 2010 and in only one version (per platform).

bson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like the extra missions and outfits ...but I hate gameplay boosts, cash bonuses, in-game discounts, free weapons etc. It's basically cheating and breaking the way the game was balanced.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Going to wait and see on a PC version before deciding, myself. Wish they would announce it already but I'm hoping for something in early 2019. Maybe they'll just throw it out in that packed February window just to make stuff fun.

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

Ultimate Edition for me on PS4, I had €100 saved up for it since the first trailer came out.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The special editions just seem to have extra outfits and camps plus DLC which will probably be cheaper later on once it is actually out (I'm not even going to mention the GTA5 currency that's included because wtf.) Doesn't seem worth it. Standard seems fine.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Standard edition. I've never bought a special edition for any game and never plan to.

zombette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My bank account decided the extras weren't worth it, even though it kills a little because I love a good special edition.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I actually actively dislike special editions of games that give you an advantage early on. It ruins the difficulty curve in the early hours. The only time I consider it are games like Shadow of Mordor, where the bonus cosmetics look better than the default.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: was the preorder bonus for Mordor the cloak outfit? It was a much better look than the default.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By John1912

I never buy anything but standard. At best I would get collectors if it came with a bunch of cool shit, but not a single one has ever gotten my purchase. Nor do I see it ever happening. Dont get me wrong some of it looks really cool, but just not my thing to collect stuff I dont need. Ryu statue, and that statue they gave out for Cyber Punk 2077 are pretty cool though.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@rorie: I think for R*, there's hope of double dipping by gamers who cave-in and buy the console version in the near term and buy the PC version later on for the better graphics. Not bad business practice if this is their intent, but I won't lie that it irks me a bit.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@berfunkle: I wouldn't be surprised if this is a bit behind their idea of not announcing it yet! But I can wait. I have willpower.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting the standard edition that comes bundled with the PS4 Pro. Finally upgrading and looking forward to it.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Ultimate Edition (because I’m an idiot who likes extra content for games that look good.)

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I go standard in most cases these days. I only go more if I’m feeling REALLY good about that extra content, or REALLY want to support a game that might have a hard time on the market.

lund218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standard version! If I love it that much, most of the special edition things end up being part of a season pass with games these days. If I don’t love it, then hey, I saved myself a decent chunk of money

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Standard I suppose, as I think that's what comes with the Ps4 pro bundle I got.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@doctordonkey: was the preorder bonus for Mordor the cloak outfit? It was a much better look than the default.

It was, yeah. Dark Ranger looks infinitely better than the default Talion outfit.

mclakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate, because IDK, I just want the best package available. Plus my son likes playing gta online, so i figured the extra boost will help. Cant wait. 1 more day

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Whatever version's available in 2-3 years for $20

kingjulesxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kingjulesxii

Ultimate Edition because I'm a fool and already planning on dipping into Red Dead online with the homies

Can't wait for them sweet, sweet XB1X 4K visuals

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standard and digital even though the physical copy was cheaper by $30. It's a shame the map is only bundled in with the special/ultimate editions.

The side mission content in the special edition to me isn't worth another $30 bucks on top of the $30 I paid for convenience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.