Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Damn Australian Release Date

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Genkkaku

If it was out May 18th here i'd be able to get it tommorow.. but we have to wait till thursday/ friday

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By landon

I'm so sorry. If its any consolation, I'll be having fun.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By LiquidS

This is why I moved from Australia to Canada 7 years ago, so I could play RDR 26 hours earlier.
    Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Genkkaku
    @Landon:  Damn you and your awesome profile pic

@LiquidS: Yeah I can see the logic in that
    Ewok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ewok

You guys have had to wait longer for other games in the past like the original Rock Band which took FOREVER to come out there if I remember right and the price was way jacked up.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

What is wrong with Australia??? Why are they so strick when it comes to games being released in their country?? Honestly, I'm surprised RDR is being shipped over there.
    Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Genkkaku
    @Ewok:  Yeah i think it had to do with music licensing.. came out pretty much like a week or 2 before Rock Band 2 came out in the states and I can't remember the price but Guitar Hero World Tour was $250 so it'd be the same if not close to

@JoeRiccadonna: it's our Classification board.. for one we have no R rating so if a game is rated over an MA15+ it becomes banned, also the Ratings board is made up of a bunch of people who know nothing about video games and are way to inconsistent in their ratings GTA IV (for XBOX and PS3) got an R so it was censored (like blood pooling and hookers) for here then the PC version came out uncensored.. LEFT 4 DEAD MA15+ / LEFT 4 DEAD 2 R.. Its just the way the Law is set up from 20 years ago, our government is still under the mentality that Video Games are for kids.. stupid government
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By EVO

Look on the bright side: we got the better ICO box art.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Genkkaku
    @EVO: lol good point
    one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By one_2nd

You should just buy banned games on ebay or something. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Genkkaku said:
    " If it was out May 18th here i'd be able to get it tommorow.. but we have to wait till thursday/ friday "
    If it makes you feel any better: here in israel i wont be able to have it before a whole week.
    CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CannonGoose

At least RDR is uncensored here. I was worried about how the ratings board would view it when I saw just how violent it was in the trailers.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar

you mean like all of europe?

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By shirogane

If you're lucky, EBgames will start selling it on the 18th, 2 days earlier than they're supposed to, like they've done with many other games. Bayonetta was one of them. But who could forget Spore? Probably won't for RDR though, oh wells. 
    If i wait for next week, there's a store i know that has it for much cheaper, but i gotta wait a week. Grr, 3D Dot Game Heroes still hasn't arrived yet either.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By c1337us
    @Genkkaku said:
    "@JoeRiccadonna: it's our Classification board.. for one we have no R rating so if a game is rated over an MA15+ it becomes banned, also the Ratings board is made up of a bunch of people who know nothing about video games and are way to inconsistent in their ratings GTA IV (for XBOX and PS3) got an R so it was censored (like blood pooling and hookers) for here then the PC version came out uncensored.. LEFT 4 DEAD MA15+ / LEFT 4 DEAD 2 R.. Its just the way the Law is set up from 20 years ago, our government is still under the mentality that Video Games are for kids.. stupid government "
    This is not strictly true. Games are never banned but being refused classification makes it illegal for retailers to sell it because it's unrated which I guess for some people may as well be the same effect I'll concede, but nothing stops you from buying from online sources like play-asia and amazon etc. And retailers licensed to sell second hand goods have legally sold unrated, imported pre-owned games for ages. Also saying that the board is a "bunch of people who know nothing about video games" is broad and inaccurate. The board is purposefully a diverse group of people some of which are people we would generally identify as "gamers" others not. Also although I can understand why people would think the government has a video games are for children mentality I don't think that is true either. I think it was more a problem with the systems in place required to bring in an +R18 rating then the government not wanting it, remember it was only the former SA Attorney General Michael Atkinson that opposed it when it required a unanimous decision from the A.G.'s from all states and territories. The Australian Sex Party and Gamers4Croydon are two political parties who are outspoken in their pursuit of +R18 rating. And I may be wrong but I don't remember any of the major parties have any anti-gaming policies.
    J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By J0n3s1

I have to wait till friday too here in finland.. Thank god only PS3 version is getting delayed..

EchoEchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EchoEchoEcho

Maybe Australia is very strict at their game industry, but then, on the other hand, you have great nature over there (yeah has nothing to do with topic but... yearh). Kangaroos, koalas platypus', snakes, parrots, alligators, deserts, a giang red rock, and so on... Australia seems like an exciting country and I would love to visit it one day.  

*Off topic mode off*
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#18  Edited By MachoFantastico

Seriously mate, your moaning cause you have to wait two or three days extra. The European release date is at the end of the week to, Friday for most though pre-orders can probably expect the game Thursday. Seems like a pathetic thing to moan at. 

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I won't be getting it until it drops down to $40.00 anyway. 

Damn money, who invented it!?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @AlwaysAngry said:

" I won't be getting it until it drops down to $40.00 anyway.   Damn money, who invented it!? "

Phoenicians invented metal money.   
    bobthecannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By bobthecannibal
    @JoeRiccadonna said:
    " What is wrong with Australia??? Why are they so strick when it comes to games being released in their country?? Honestly, I'm surprised RDR is being shipped over there. "
    In the case of Red Dead it comes down to the publisher. Rockstar always try to release games on Tuesdays or Fridays so as not to fit into the normal release pattern of Wednesday, Thursday. At lest it is only a couple of days latter, look at Super Mario Galaxy 2 which will be released on the 1st of July almost a month and a half after the US release which is pretty typical of Nintendo Australia . Chances are in NSW  Game Traders will break the Red Dead street date as they sometimes do (Dick Smith are pretty good at breaking Street Date as well), this will mean EB will break it and then JB and Game will jump in once they have permission form the publisher. 
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:

" I won't be getting it until it drops down to $40.00 anyway.   Damn money, who invented it!? "

Phoenicians invented metal money.    "
    You don't have to be so literal >.>
    Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Genkkaku
    @c1337us said:
    " @Genkkaku said:
    "@JoeRiccadonna: it's our Classification board.. for one we have no R rating so if a game is rated over an MA15+ it becomes banned, also the Ratings board is made up of a bunch of people who know nothing about video games and are way to inconsistent in their ratings GTA IV (for XBOX and PS3) got an R so it was censored (like blood pooling and hookers) for here then the PC version came out uncensored.. LEFT 4 DEAD MA15+ / LEFT 4 DEAD 2 R.. Its just the way the Law is set up from 20 years ago, our government is still under the mentality that Video Games are for kids.. stupid government "
    This is not strictly true. Games are never banned but being refused classification makes it illegal for retailers to sell it because it's unrated which I guess for some people may as well be the same effect I'll concede, but nothing stops you from buying from online sources like play-asia and amazon etc. And retailers licensed to sell second hand goods have legally sold unrated, imported pre-owned games for ages. Also saying that the board is a "bunch of people who know nothing about video games" is broad and inaccurate. The board is purposefully a diverse group of people some of which are people we would generally identify as "gamers" others not. Also although I can understand why people would think the government has a video games are for children mentality I don't think that is true either. I think it was more a problem with the systems in place required to bring in an +R18 rating then the government not wanting it, remember it was only the former SA Attorney General Michael Atkinson that opposed it when it required a unanimous decision from the A.G.'s from all states and territories. The Australian Sex Party and Gamers4Croydon are two political parties who are outspoken in their pursuit of +R18 rating. And I may be wrong but I don't remember any of the major parties have any anti-gaming policies. "
    Ture mate.. In refusing to classify a game effectively banning it, but they were trying to make it so it is illegal to purchase from the internet and overseas, they didn't get far, but managed to stop any australian online stores from selling the games to australians..   

A few years ago the Classification Boards members info came to light, as the board wasn't that diverse and it had no members that actively or had every played video games on more than one occasion.. Although it may no longer be the case.. But the final say so comes from the governer general (I think thats the right office), and when Mark Ecko's Getting Up came out the board rated it M i belive then there were a few news chanels that picked up on the game and because of its possiblilty to incite graffiti and train surfing (which ive never heard one account of in australia) the Governer General overturned the decison of the board and it was re-rated R18+ (Which I think is a little excessive).

Yeah i do remember some members of government trying to get the decision overturned, and the one member that was behind it changed his mind at the last minute.

with the government "games are for kids" mentality, It might just be me ranting so i do apologize for using that as an argument, but i belive that would have been the initial reason for no R18+ rating, but the worlds changed and grown up in the past 20 years.. I just think it makes the goverment limiting what content i get to have access to because it deems it not appropriate for australians
    Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Genkkaku
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Genkkaku said:
    " If it was out May 18th here i'd be able to get it tommorow.. but we have to wait till thursday/ friday "
    If it makes you feel any better: here in israel i wont be able to have it before a whole week. "
    Now it just makes me feel bad that I'll get to enjoy when others cant

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.