Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

My dream ending for RDR (BIG SPOILERS AHEAD)

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By amoremono1

I was underwhelmed by the end of the end of RDR.  I get it, and appreciate what they were trying to do (someone mentioned the Movie Hurt Locker, and thats pretty on point); however I think for a video game they couldve done better.  My vote for a better ending goes like this:

Instead of walking out the barn doors, Marston rigs the barn with dynamite, slips out the back, and blows the whole thing with a number of army dudes sky high.  the government stooges give chase, and after John cathces up with Jack and Abigail, all three have an epic shootout with the US army, culminating with the three executing Edgar Ross, him on his knees a la Boondock Saints.  They could even give a little speech first, about redemption and how the spirit of the West will live on despite civilizations attempt to crush its spirit.  Obviously, they couldnt just return to the farm afterwards, so the end would show them driving a wagon to the Northwest of the map, blazing forth to stake their claim in California or Oregon.  They could play another kickass song, and it would set up for a bomb sequel, where the family tries to adapt to a normal life while on the lamb. 

That would be sweeeet.....

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

There's nothing wrong with bittersweet endings.  Your ending would be good for a happy ending, but not everything needs a happy ending.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By amoremono1

I actually like bittersweet endings, believe it or not....I just think this one couldve been done better, bittersweet or no.  Personally, I wanted Marston to go out victorious, not giving in.

And that ending wouldnt be happy, per se.  Marston still doenst get to settle with his family.  His dream of peace is shattered once and for all, and hes turned his whole family into exactly what he was trying to turn away from.  Now, his whole family are outlaws, and no doubt the cavalry will be gunning for them the whole way.  It sets them up for a brutal struggle running from the law, not a peaceful retirement.   Itd be kind of like Empire Strikes Back; theyre injured and on the run, and the whole Empire is looking for their asses now...

Scigrex14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Scigrex14

I agree that would be a pretty good ending. Perhaps they could have done multiple endings, where in one you get yours, and in the other you walk out the barn doors and meet your fate. That's the beauty of video games, things can end different ways. To only give us one option while it ties up the story the way Rockstar wanted, an option to meet that fate would have been appreciated.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Honestly I think if they went anywhere they would've have gone to Mexico where the US government wouldn't try to kill the fam.
    amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By amoremono1
    @JoeRiccadonna said:
    " Honestly I think if they went anywhere they would've have gone to Mexico where the US government wouldn't try to kill the fam. "
    Touche...
    Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7  Edited By Ping5000

You basically took MW2's ending and turned it into your dream RDR ending. 

No thanks.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By amoremono1
    @Ping5000 said:
    " You basically took MW2's ending and turned it into your dream RDR ending.  No thanks. "
    MW2??  I guess I see where youre coming from, but its pretty damn different imho....

Maybe I missed the part where Soap and Cpt Price kiss and ride into the sunset with their teenage son
    Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9  Edited By Ping5000
    @amoremono1 said:

" @Ping5000 said:

" You basically took MW2's ending and turned it into your dream RDR ending.  No thanks. "
    MW2??  I guess I see where youre coming from, but its pretty damn different imho....  Maybe I missed the part where Soap and Cpt Price kiss and ride into the sunset with their teenage son "
     Speech from military guy and then death. 
    Speech from Marston and family and then kills Ross. 

End result of Price and Soap's actions: On the run. 
    End result of Marston and family's actions: On the run. 

True, the stuff you're dreaming up is drastically different from MW2, but you're hitting the same beats, which is really weird. 

Also, your ending results from them running from the law, which wouldn't make much sense considering just what John wants. He wants none of that for him and his family, so he winds up giving himself up, because once he's done for, Ross has no reason to chase after Abigail and Jack. He freed them of that burden, making this the ultimate redemption, but that's another topic of discussion.    
    amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By amoremono1

Good point.   That is weird; MW2 definitely wasnt on my mind, but I see it.  The speech in MW2 was different; I really am thinking of Boondock Saints where the brothers and dad execute the guy in the courthouse and in MW2 you get told the speech before knifing the dude in the eye.....still the similarity is there.  And youre right too, in a literary sense, RDR's ending is perfect.  It also hits just right at the movies its paying homage to.  Still, it pissed me off that Edgar fucking Ross got the best of John Marston in the end, and it seems funny that he just left Abigail and Jack alone and in possession of the family farm after that.   

Dying so willingly just seems like an odd fit for someone who wanted so desperately to have his family back at all costs

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By tranquilchaos

I like the ending of RDR. 

I do not like yours.

Astalder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Astalder

I liked the ending, especially the extra ending that comes after that via stranger quest.  That said I have to admit I found it out of character to have Marston walk out those doors like that after all the ass kicking he did throughout the game.  I would have preferred to go down fighting locked in a burning barn I think, then get forced to dive out a window, THEN get shot down before I can get to my feet.  That would have been a slightly better way to handle that particular sequence (instead of going so directly into a cut scene death).

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @amoremono1 said:

" Good point.   That is weird; MW2 definitely wasnt on my mind, but I see it.  The speech in MW2 was different; I really am thinking of Boondock Saints where the brothers and dad execute the guy in the courthouse and in MW2 you get told the speech before knifing the dude in the eye.....still the similarity is there.  And youre right too, in a literary sense, RDR's ending is perfect.  It also hits just right at the movies its paying homage to.  Still, it pissed me off that Edgar fucking Ross got the best of John Marston in the end, and it seems funny that he just left Abigail and Jack alone and in possession of the family farm after that.     Dying so willingly just seems like an odd fit for someone who wanted so desperately to have his family back at all costs "

You do realise you can get revenge on edgar ross as jack?
    amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By amoremono1

@Dylabaloo: Yeah, and I did, it just felt so....tacked on.  It wasnt even really a main story mission, and there was no ending past that to speak of except for the credits.  I definitely went and put one right between his eyes, though......

Oddly enough, the first time, I just went up to him (Ross) and shot him-and failed the stranger mission.  I thought, that cant be right, nothing happens after you get your "redemption"?  I had to reload, watch the cutscene and duel with him to even see the credits. 

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karkarov

Honestly it makes no sense for him to do anything other than walk out of the barn for a number of reasons.

1: He wanted to protect his family above all else.  If he is still alive his family is in danger, the end.
    2: Why not walk out and face it like a man, he probably suspected it was coming and knew there was no point in trying to avoid it due to reason 1.
    3: If he went for a long barn shootout they might have burnt his barn down, his farm already had troubles and with him and uncle dead it was already going to be hard enough without having to rebuild the barn.

I am curious though what did you guys do a mentos pose?  I shot about 5-6 of them in the face with my pistol so I definitely "went down fighting" , I just don't see how you can call what he did giving up.  Meanwhile Edgar Ross didn't get the best of him.  The US Government, Edgar Ross, his assistant, 10-15 federal agents, and about 50 members of the US army did.  You might say the deck was stacked.

That said I personally would have liked to see an alternate ending too but I would have done this....

Everything is the same until the barn then Jack decides to refuse to run and tried to make a stand with his pa.  Needless to say he does something balsy and stupid and gets killed while John and his wife are forced to watch.  They make a break for it which could result in another part of that mission until they finally loose them in the woods of tall trees.  As they ride back around and south toward mexico they look back in the distance to see their farm being burned down.  Zoom forward a few years and you see an older looking Marston burying his wife who died of some disease or some such outside a rundown shack in mexico.  We then proceed in a fairly similar line to a show down with ross except it goes down in armadillo where Marston says a few words and Ross makes excuses and draws and of course Marston kills him.  Then the new sheriff who is clearly some city lawman who recently moved out tries to stop him but gets scared and backs down while Marston looks at the town which is more run down and empty than before then looks back at Ross dead and as he turns tosses his own gun on the ground and walks away without a word.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By amoremono1

@ Karkarov:  I likes.  That image, of Marston throwing his gun down after losing everything, and killing everyone involved, would be freaking EPIC.

I suppose what he did wasnt "giving up", but in a way it was in a game where you regularly took on just as many army men.  The deck was stacked the whole time, but he blazed right through hundreds of soldiers doing the govt's dirty work.  And I get it, it was definitely a proper way to end the story.  I just wanted Marston alive.  I wouldve been stoked if it ended like your idea.....

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Sooperspy

I wonder what would happen if you were to mark and kill all of the guys at the end.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By jkz
    @Ping5000 said: 
     Speech from military guy and then death. Speech from Marston and family and then kills Ross.  End result of Price and Soap's actions: On the run. End result of Marston and family's actions: On the run.  True, the stuff you're dreaming up is drastically different from MW2, but you're hitting the same beats, which is really weird.  Also, your ending results from them running from the law, which wouldn't make much sense considering just what John wants. He wants none of that for him and his family, so he winds up giving himself up, because once he's done for, Ross has no reason to chase after Abigail and Jack. He freed them of that burden, making this the ultimate redemption, but that's another topic of discussion.     "
    And this is exactly why the ending was so perfect. It had a great impact, and it made perfect sense within the context of the story. 
    Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kazzurak
    @amoremono1: The ending was perfect, the whole point in the story was that you cant escape your past, nomatter how hard you try. And why should Edgar Ross murder Abigail and Jack ? They hadnt killed and robbed people.
    juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By juice8367

.I think the original ending gave it a more memorable feeling.  I loved how the entire end sequence was done.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NinjaHunter
    @Redbullet685 said:
    " I wonder what would happen if you were to mark and kill all of the guys at the end. "
    It's impossible. I tried to mark Edgar Ross and it wouldn't let me.
    jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#22  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Wow. Finally a game manages to make a perfect ending, and yet people bitch and moan because it's not an happy one. 
    John did what he had to in order to save his family. If that means to go out of life with a bang, then so be it. I think it was really refreshing to have a game end on a more realistic note, instead of the "I AM THE BEST! I ALWAYS SURVIVE!" ending of more or less every other game.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Capum15

I loved the ending, except for the part where you post-game free roam play as Jack.

Made a new game just to be able to play with the guy I sunk 20+ hours into with.

Though I couldn't help but think if given total control, you could have definitely killed all those Army men (10 bottles of fiery-death, 5 sticks of dynamite + hundreds of rounds of ammo...). Still a good ending though.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Karkarov
    @Redbullet685 said:
    " I wonder what would happen if you were to mark and kill all of the guys at the end. "
    You can't for two reasons.  First you don't have enough time.  Second there are well over 20 guys no matter what the highest bullet count of any pistol is 15 you simply don't have enough shots.
    dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By dantheman1515

Why would he do that? The end was just John's realization that he could never escape his past. In a country where forgiveness is preached, he is given none. It was social commentary, something Rockstar does great in their games.

ghad13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ghad13
    @Ping5000 said:
    this.
    insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27  Edited By insanegamer

that game had a perfect ending like the movie a bittersweet life.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By amoremono1

@ Kazzurak: By the same token, why should he go against his word and come after Marston after all the dirty work he did for them?  The govt proved they werent above the killing of innocents as long as their mission was done...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By Yummylee

lol erm...no I'm ok with it's own official ending, frankly.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By amoremono1

Alot of people keep saying the ending was "perfect".   Theres no way that ending was "perfect".  It does fit in a literary sense (sort of), but wheres the redemption?  Marston wanted above all for Jack not to be like him, and now he is.  Like Jimbo said, thats a circle, not an arc.  Far from "perfect"

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CaptainObvious

Come on, the guy was a fucking outlaw for most of his life, bureau would get him sooner or later. 

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Bouke
    @amoremono1:
    Nice avatar!
    Avatar image for marcusravenheart
    marcusravenheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By marcusravenheart
    @amoremono1:  

I kind of see the ending that you desire on this post and your own... as more of a standard ending found in most games.  To me the Big Bad Ass ending ... has become rather bland and Vanilla.  The ending of red Dead Redemption for me was a different experience compared to everything already out there.  There is something to say about being given a task... completing the task and actually getting to play out the reward.  Quite frankly... I looked at the ending not as anti-climactic but instead... one of the few games to ever allow you to play out the reward of success.  Then... it gives you one last climax before returning you to the free roam world.   How many games out there actually allow you to play the peaceful times after you put down the final foe...

John Marston dieing was a hard hitting point for me.  It shown a reality that few games like to push the envelope on.  We see all our game protagonist as heroes who as long as we are behind them... are untouchable.  I am sure I am not the only one who tried to figure out a way to kill the right people so John doesn't die... but the fact is... he dies.  He dies because the West was a dangerous place, he dies because he is tired of fighting, he dies because no matter what his family will never get peace as long as he is alive.  Then they do something marvelous.  Instead of tossing you out into the world as if the final chapter never rolled... they put you in the shoes of his son who has taken up the path of his father even though his father never wanted him too.  Sinking those last shots were rewarding... because I really felt like I was avenging some one close to me. 

If John lived... and the family went on the run... it would be the same as any other title out there.  The ending of Red Dead Redemption was not anti-climactic.  It just wasn't like every other action game out there that makes a point to end it right after an explosion. 

The fact that you are sitting here comparing endings to other games is half of my dispute with your case.  You are wishing for an ending that is like other games... not one that is original. 
    Your statements remind me of a teacher I had in College.  I took a art class as a side class for "fun".  I have spent years doing realistic and fine tuned coal pencil art.  Acrylics are another past time.  My teacher on the other hand was a person who loved abstract art. An art-form that i have no interest in... because I never developed a eye for seeing the "meaning" they desire.  We were given free reigns in the class, a subject would be given such as love, passion, or hate.  Then it would be up to the student to interpret these emotions and make a piece featuring the subject.  I spent 3 weeks making a image of a mother looking down at her newborn child, a single tear running down her face as she saw the beauty of creation.  I was proud of my work... the facial expressions, the detail of the reflection in the single tear, the shading... all were the best that I had ever done.  However my art teacher did not see that... instead she saw what she believed was something anti-climatic... something that was not abstract.  She saw something that to her was far to simple... and to show her disdain... she took a calligraphy pen and splattered my piece with ink and gave me a 50% (A D+ for those of you who used letter grades.)  She had made my work into an abstract piece in the end... and no one liked it. Simply said... I quit that art class. 

Like art, a story is in the eye of the beholder.  Perhaps the ending was not perfect, however to me it will be one that lasts with me for a long time. 

- Marc
    Zawdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zawdy
    @Bouke: 
    Yours' is great too!

I can't help to think that I've seen it somewhere...
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Barrock

I thought a cool ending would've had the government stooges execute John as soon as he killed his last fellow gunslinger. We get a black screen.... several months later his son gets a letter telling him that his father was killed... he travels to Blackwater to learn what happened and exacts revenge. 

I wasn't huge on the ending myself. Everything leading up to it I loved though.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By YoThatLimp
    @amoremono1 said:
    " Alot of people keep saying the ending was "perfect".   Theres no way that ending was "perfect".  It does fit in a literary sense (sort of), but wheres the redemption?  Marston wanted above all for Jack not to be like him, and now he is.  Like Jimbo said, thats a circle, not an arc.  Far from "perfect" "
    It was perfect in the sense it was ugly. John lived and died this ugly way, and the fact the John in the end never got redemption ( Yes he died to keep his family safe, but Jack in the end turned into what his dad didn't want from him) was the perfect way to end this story. 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @amoremono1: That's strait up the cheesiest dream ending ever! :P 

I actually really liked the way things went down. I'm not too sure how I feel about Jack taking John's place though. Just doesn't feel right.
    Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By Foxtrot0245

I submit that "Red Dead Revenge" is a more fitting title for this game. I think it's hard to be "redeemed" if you're filled with about 30 bulletholes and rotting 6 feet under while your snot-nosed kid guns down your killer. The ending sucks, just saying.

To everyone saying that John had to walk out of the barn to keep his family safe, I kind of agree. But they mess it up from there, IMO. Having Jack kill Edgar Ross will only beget more violence on John's family in the end, which means he didn't really save them from anything. Oh, and congrats to the writers who took an adolescent kid with dreams of becoming something in life, filling him with rage, making him into some (goofy) uneducated brutus like his father, and calling him and his family "redeemed"...

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By GunstarRed

I cannot understand why anyone would want anything other than the perfect ending the game already has. 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By xMP44x

Personally, I liked the ending for Red Dead Redemption. I know that it was not perfect, but nothing is perfect. The one key point I noticed is that while John always says he does not want Jack to go down the same route as he did during his life, what does Jack do? Jack goes in the exact same direction, and even kills an ex-fed. The game was called Redemption due to the fact John was told he could redeem himself by wiping out his former gang, and this is all the name refers to in my eyes. Had it been relating to the entire game, Revenge would be a much more fitting title. After all, he takes revenge on his former gang for the botched robbery, and Jack takes his revenge against Ross. It would make sense, but Rockstar likely went down the path they did for a reason. The game was in production for several years, so odds are they chose the path they did for a reason. Maybe they did it in order to really fulfil their idea of how the game should close. Or maybe, they did it due to the fact they need Jack alive, and John is no longer a character that will benefit their plan. For all we know the story could be split over two different games or an expansion with DLC. After all, we know Rockstar are damned good with DLC.

@Karkarov said:

" Everything is the same until the barn then Jack decides to refuse to run and tried to make a stand with his pa.  Needless to say he does something balsy and stupid and gets killed while John and his wife are forced to watch.  They make a break for it which could result in another part of that mission until they finally loose them in the woods of tall trees.  As they ride back around and south toward mexico they look back in the distance to see their farm being burned down.  Zoom forward a few years and you see an older looking Marston burying his wife who died of some disease or some such outside a rundown shack in mexico.  We then proceed in a fairly similar line to a show down with ross except it goes down in armadillo where Marston says a few words and Ross makes excuses and draws and of course Marston kills him.  Then the new sheriff who is clearly some city lawman who recently moved out tries to stop him but gets scared and backs down while Marston looks at the town which is more run down and empty than before then looks back at Ross dead and as he turns tosses his own gun on the ground and walks away without a word. 

This ending sounds incredibly interesting to me. I like the idea of it a lot. I'd love it if Rockstar saw this idea, and released a free DLC with this as an alternative ending. Admittedly the ending may not be seen as 'canon', and it would not be the real ending if they chose to use the ideas I outlined above the quote, but it'd be epic. This scene seems like the ultimate way to redeem his son. Seeing as John would have lost everything in this scenario, the chance for redemption would not have been present, but he could redeem his son for making the ultimate sacrifice. The final scene would have worked perfectly with end credits rolling. Just the gun lying on the ground, and the camera then spinning round to Marston, who is walking away. Fade to black. Credits. This ending does seem like it would be a decent fit for the players, but whether Rockstar see it the same way will be a different matter, sadly.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pie

The ending was perfect, it made sense, represented something larger and was very memorable 

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By MikeFightNight

I actually liked the ending a lot, it's something you don't see too often in video games.  The guy you have been playing with the entire game gets blown away scarface style and then many years later his only son goes on a journey to kill the man that did his father in. 

Now that's a western. 

Not to say that your ending is bad, but it wouldn't be as memorable in let's say a couple years.  I have a feeling i'll remember how Red Dead ended for a long time to come.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.