Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

[RDR] Multiplayer Freeroam is very disappointing, here is why:

• 69 results
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ryanwho

Its about making your own fun with friends. Get some friends, learn how to make fun.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @marcusravenheart : 

Well said! 

And come on guys, RDR may not be perfect, but IT IS A GREAT GAME!  And developing a game or adding lines of codes in a program is very complex and does take a lot of time.  When it takes more time, it costs more money.  Remember, it's not just development that costs money, you have to include all the testing done to the game and to the servers that support the game's multiplayer; these cost money too. 

Stop complaining, enjoy the game.  Support Rockstar on the great game they have given its audience and when another Red Dead game comes out, with all our support, we'll have a better game than Red Dead Redemption with an improved multiplayer.
    Avatar image for marcusravenheart
    marcusravenheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By marcusravenheart
    @lilbigsupermario:  

I look forward to them releasing some DLC like they did for GTA4.  Possibly as an extension of Jack's story, or possibly covering the story of other characters that were involved.  Maybe they will tell the dieing tale of the gunman, or fully explain how Abigail Died 3 years later.  After all, Abigail was just as rough as the rest of them and one of the gang.  Did she get killed by the government as well?   Maybe there is more to why Jack has hardened then simply the death of his father?  Did she go back to a life on the edge after the death of her husband, or was she forced to defend herself like her husband?  There are many avenues left untouched here.  All possible DLC, which may also bring new stuff to the plate of the multi-player scene... and merit the development time.  Especially if the DLC is as large as the Lost and the Damned or Ballad of Gay tony... 

-Marc
    brandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By brandt
    The multiplayer has lots of potential, with al little work and a reasonably priced DLC adding stuff like say "Defend/Attack the fort" and other better structured challenges the multiplayer could be significantly improved.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By Tennmuerti

I pretty much expected the multiplayer to be "meh" and bought the game purely for the singleplayer component, so my expectations were matched to what was delivered.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I enjoy the snot out of the MP, me and my friend Chad go moseying on as a Deadwood Extra reject (him) and a cowboy Indian. It's a hilarious sight to see them trash-talking each other while gunning down gang members or even other players. 

That said, I used to take a "live and let live" approach to RDR MP. Used to. The reason I shoot everything that isn't in my posse nowadays is because the very first game I got into, this one posse of eight people spawn-camped the shit out of me. It was war from there, and my little Indian killed enough of them enough times in a row to get them to back off. 

So in short, I imagine a lot of people are like me; do unto others before they do unto you.

DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By DaemonicGrim
    @marcusravenheart: it's great to have a programmers opinion on this and with every statement backed up nicely. I've only done a little bit of simple programming as part of my course in uni but I know just how big a pain small variations in context can be for code.

I've had the odd gripe with free roam not having quite as much as I hoped but I've also really enjoyed it and if I wanted a mini-game I just popped back to singleplayer because swapping between the modes is just so damn easy. I believe the DLC potential for this game is outstanding but that doesn't make me think they've neglected what they've already handed out. Also, the game is young... nearly every great game out there has had to evolve with patches and DLC before it came the wonders that we've all loved. Very few came out with every little bell and whistle we wanted. 

PS: griefers get on my tits big time but I must also admit partial guilt in a busy free roam trying to stay alive by simply killing others first if they're in my area...(though I tend not to hang around the busy places in free roam unless there's a challenge to be had.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @marcusravenheart 

um, i haven't finished the game yet. i didn't finish reading your post since there might be some spoilers coz I'm seeing names like Jack and Abigail and "dying" so I'm not sure what you're telling me but I know it's about additional DLC.  Yeah I agree added DLC would be great similar what GTA4 did, and they somewhat improved the multiplayer in the DLC as well.  I hope they also do that for RDR. 

Actually to be fair to Rockstar, RDR's multiplayer is already ang improvement from the GTA multiplayer.  The lobby system, the co-op stuff that you do in free roam, better aiming system, smaller maps for competitive matches -- these were not in GTA4's multiplayer.  They may not be the best multiplayer game developer out there, but they did a fine job improving the sandbox game multiplayer system.  In GTA4's free roam, it was pointless, you just run around kill each other.  But in RDR's free roam, it became very interesting with the things that you and your posse could do.  Although it would be awesome to populate the free roam world more with animals hehe!  I just hope Rockstar did effciently develop RDR to be compatible with future changes and downloads so that they can add stuff as DLC and updates in the months to come.  Pretty much what Naughtydog is doing with Uncharted 2, they pay attention to their audience's demands and they experiment to make the multiplayer better through updates and DLCs that are added easily to the game with minimum glitches.
    EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By EvolutionX0
    @Ewok said:
    " Let me point out that the free roam is the game lobby, so essentially it could be this or a list of names. Stop complaining about something they didn't have to add to the game. "
    If it was just a lobby,  then why did they bother putting in all the gang hideouts, challenges and those unlocks that are specifically get for free roam? why do people make posses and kill cops and animals together for hours on end? If they chose not to add free roam into the game, multiplayer wouldn't be what it is now.  

so yeah, I'm hoping that future DLC can add more features into free-roam.
    Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Free Roam is fine and quite well done. The problem (as usual) are the 13 year old brats that think it's Slayer and shoot at you when your trying to get things done.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Mono_Listo

I agree, it would be nice if there was more to do in Free Roam. And where are those bears? I've yet to find a single place where "waves of animals" attack you or your posse.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By Jayross
    @Mono_Listo: Tip: Go to West Elizibeth, along the West side along the river there is a cabin called bear camp or something. 10 bears will spawn there. That is the only wave of animal zone I have found so far. There are cougars further north too.
    Arcadian79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Arcadian79

Wow, I can not believe how unsatisfiable people are. I play RDR Multiplayer CONSTANTLY!!!! For hours on end, with a group of friends, we play as outlaws. If you have all the DLC, this game is great, besides Free Roam, the game offers like 15 multiplayer modes. The gameplay scale and options tower over most of the industries leading shooters, such as Call of Duty, or Even Halo (both of which, especially Halo, I love) But this game is a wonderfully immersive experience, and unlike an MMO, it is free. (Don't give me that some MMO's are too) We all know free MMO's SUCK. Essentially since there is no subscription fee, rockstar will continue as they have to flush out the world through DLC. (MUCH CHEAPER THAN A $15.00 Sub.) And they really do listen to fans, most of the DLC is based from fan request. Also I play with friends as I said. If you do not play this way, it could be stale, but my point is in most multiplayer games, you shoot each other on a tiny map. on Red Dead Redemption MP, you explore a vast world, play with people or against them, hunt, gamble, bust gang hide outs, and then have the choice as I said to play over 15 structured MP games. The bottom line, this game is NOT an MMO, if you are playing it for the experience of say WoW with cowboys. Then I can see how you would be disenchanted. But this is a mp game, not an mmo. And as such has far more to it than any other of such on console. I love the game, and I agree, random events, and trains, and a few other things need to find their way to multiplayer, but over time it will probably come via DLC. Since this is NOT an MMO, their money comes from DLC, and they will collect, and I will pay, and I will continue to enjoy. I believe in the comming months we will see great DLC, and if not (which I doubt) it already is a fun world I enjoy on a daily basis. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Arcadian79: I can't believe someone would just randomly bump such an old thread.
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ClaritySam
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Arcadian79: I can't believe someone would just randomly bump such an old thread. "
    Epic necro is Epic.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By laserbolts

I just wish you could make free roam so that you don't show up on the map regardless of if you're crouched or not.  I haven't played in a while so they may have changed this but it would make it so much better in my opinion.  Also the poker and stuff should be thrown in no reason not to have it in there.  I would actually like to see a hunting game type where there are very few animals in the game word, no auto aim,  no dead eye, and somehow they get spooked way easier.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BBQBram

All the issues he mentions have been fixed. Great.

There are now more hideouts, there is friendly freeroam and teleports to counter griefing and spawn camping, there are designated hunting zones that give XP like gang hideouts, and there is land grab to structurally fight over territory in freeroam.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Jayross
    @BBQBram said:
    " All the issues he mentions have been fixed. Great.  There are now more hideouts, there is friendly freeroam and teleports to counter griefing and spawn camping, there are designated hunting zones that give XP like gang hideouts, and there is land grab to structurally fight over territory in freeroam. "
    Hey, do you see which month I posted this? Do you know what month it is currently? I'm glad they fixed it, but it's a bit too late for that now.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Lukeweizer

I don't find it disappointing at all. 

Make your own fun. That's what I do. Fist fight Grizzly Bears then run off a cliff to get away from them. Fight on the railroad bridge until one of you gets knocked off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.