Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 03, 2020

A remake of the 1999 survival horror classic, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

Resident Evil 3 (2020) Impressions Thread

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

How's everyone feeling about this game? I have very limited familiarity with the original release, so like the Resident Evil 2 remake this is a mostly new game for me. But while I found RE2 to be lacking in certain areas, this remake definitely feels like a step down from that. I wouldn't know if that's because the source material was weaker than the original Resident Evil 2 of course. But there's not a lot of story here, the framerate is significantly worse (launch PS4), and there isn't a great sense of place like RE2. Still, I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Also, really glad Carlos has an alternate hair style because that mop is... hmm.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By dazzhardy

People keep telling me otherwise, but I'm convinced that Carlos' new looks is modeled off of Carlito Caribbean Cool

No Caption Provided

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Honestly pretty disappointed, it feels to short(yes, I know the original was also short even for an RE game), the spongyness of the enemies carried over from the RE2 remake doesn't mesh well with the more action focus, and it really sucks that instead of a mercenaries mode we instead get a multiplayer mode that will be completely dead within weeks(did they not learn from the RE5 versus DLC, or RE6 versus DLC, or Operation Racoon City, or Umbrella Corps.?).

I'm not super huge on the invincible enemy chasing you thing, and kinda tired of it after getting it in both RE2 remake and RE7, but it seems like did Nemesis dirty with this one. They build off of what they did with Mr. X...and then use that for like 5 minutes before he's relegated to heavily scripted boss fights and chases. Also looking at the original version, I much prefer the old ones additional forms over the new one, which just kinda turns into a bigger licker.

Capcom really has a cycle of ups and downs and they have been so good for a while now between RE7, RE2 remake, Monster Hunter World, DMC5, Mega Man 11...I hope this isn't the start of a downward trend.

Also, would it be to much to ask for Capcom to do a Legacy Collection of RE games? They seem really good at doing it for most of their other franchises, but for RE they seem fine just letting the remakes take the place of the old games. I'd love to be have RE Directors Cut, 2, 3 and CVX on steam along with all the modern games.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot: Played the multiplayer for a bit last night and it has some neat ideas, but feels entirely unnecessary. I can’t imagine it’ll have any lasting appeal sadly.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally get the complaints about it being too short. It feels more like a few mini episodes that have been bolted together. It'd probably work just as well if it did the Phantom Pain style credits after each act thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about half way through, and the pacing just feels weird.

Part of it probably has to do with the overall setting(escape Raccoon City) but there's almost no tension. What I liked about RE2 was there was a lot of exploration, puzzles, etc. Everything in RE3 so far has been pretty linear and straigh forward. I never played the original but I imagine the comparisons between OG 2 and 3 are similar. After all, other than the weird RE4 entry(my first RE) they were all pretty action heavy there after.

I'm not hating it(where I'm at it seems like it might slow down a bit, in a good way) but definitely not liking it as much as 2. Haven't even touched Resistance. All I can say is, I'm glad I got it for about $40 on a pre order deal.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm enjoying it. Hopefully Capcom will just let me buy the unlimited rocket launcher like in RE2 remake.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: The unlocks are way easier in this one, once you finish one playthrough you get access to a shop and get points based on challenges(think achievements, plus stuff like X number or handgun kills, etc) and get to pick what you want to get, including the infinite ammo weapons and other things like extra hip pouches, getting the lockpick/bolt cutters early, etc.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It absolutely shouldn't be full price. That said it's still a very well made and fun game. I like RE2 better overall but while I gave that a 5 I'd still give this a 4.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot: this is very true, but my time is limited and I just want to make things go boom

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't hurrying through the game by any means and finished my first playthrough in 4.5 hours. Kind of disappointed.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished my third playthrough(started on standard, then did professional, then did assisted with unlock weapons for a speedrun) and think I'm pretty done with the game. The amount of chase sequence/chase cutscenes make re-plability kind of annoying, it's especially bad for the beginning since it's a lot of "run for 20 feet, pause, X to skip, repeat) until you get out onto the streets. Still really bummed by the lack of any sort of mercenaries mode, which is only exacerbated by....

Resident Evil: Resistance, or what I like to call Umbrella Corps. 2 because jeez this is the worst thing Capcom has put out in a while. I can't really find anything nice to say about it really, it looks and feels significantly worse than the the 2 and 3 Remakes(I know it was a separate unrelated project, but that's no excuse for how bad it plays). It feels a lot closer to Revelations, except just take the narrow hallways and small rooms of Revelations 1, throw in 3 other people, and then add in a healthy amount of lag(no dedicated servers!) and poor enemy reactions. I feel like I could write a book with what's wrong with this thing but I'll just end it and say save the download and if you really want a monster vs survivors multiplayer game, just go pick up Dead By Daylight or Friday the 13th or any of the other ones around, you've got options and they are all better.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

During the credits, I booted up my PS3 and proceeded to download the original 3 games. So yes I was disappointed in the game quite a bit, it has rekindled my love for the series and original games specifically.

I liked RE2make a lot, but I think the original games are just better honestly. Even debating on taking the REDC over the HD remake.

I'm crazy I guess

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@panfoot: I don't feel like the RE2 zombies are spongy at all. Yes, it takes like 3 head shots to kill them (unless you get a critical), but it only takes one bullet to the knee to knock them down and run by. In RE3, the knees are just as spongy, which was what was annoying/frustrating. I couldn't cap them in the leg and escape easily.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Zombies barely stagger when you shoot them in the head in this game, and you can’t decapitate them, I’d say they fit the description of being spongy way more here which is really annoying.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot: I’d love if they re released the original Dino Crisis to modern systems.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nateandrews

Yeah, I've decided to call it quits on Resident Evil 3. A sense of place and character is something I've really enjoyed about this series, especially in RE7, RE4, and last year's RE2 remake. This game feels totally bereft of that. I put around 3 hours into it and it just never got exciting.

@thechris The assault rifle feels especially bad to use because of that.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have infinte love for RE 2. I could almost play that game blindfolded back in the day, so when the remake came out I loved it at once, and I still do. It's an impressive visualisation and gameplay-changer yet somehow manages to feel like the EXACT same game (though it's sad they left out alot of the b-campaigns).

I have no such relationship with RE 3. I played it, but only once I think, and dodn't even buy it for my self. The only memories I have are of Nemesis, that you every now and then would get to choose what you wanted to do, and some sort of mansion or something (with a piano? No, not the monlight sonata one from RE1). So coming into RE 3 I was excited for more of the same gameplay (wich is still nice), but the rest of the game is lacking. There is no real bacground story for Jill as to what happeneded before, there is no sense of time for when this is happening (I thought this was after RE 2 but of course it isn't), wich is ironic since they have a timestamp for every scenechange. That said, I found the extreme lack of story kind of nice, it's barely there and it's stupid and it works because of that.

The start of the game is aweome though, it starts at 11 and doesn't really slow down in a couple of hours. It's actiony, but it still feels survival horror-ish.
    The game is really short, I completed it in just over 6 hours on normal, taking my time to read what I could find, laughing my ass off of that awesome bowling horrormovie poster (twice) and even struggling one time to survive a run through RC with Nemesis constantly killing me off. Jill has a real lack of health items, zombies do more damage and just never fucking dies and Carlos' campaigns were alot easier. The game as a whole is a lot more streamlined than RE 2 also, you'll find an item and you'll probably use it with the next ten minutes.

And the game sets up some wierd parts that's feel like an online campaign and not really Resident Evil. The hospital scene is especially weird.

I find it t be a lacking game, a step backwards from RE 2 but that's kind if what RE 3 was anyway, maybe? I really don't know. I just know they probably had the opportunity to make more of this than they did.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheChris

@nateandrews: You just reminded me of the frickin Hunters, whom are immensely annoying to fight when all you have is an Assault Rifle which doesn’t seem to be all that effective against them. Then when I die from their stupid instant kill move the game condescendingly tells me to keep my distance to which I say. Screw you game, I can’t keep my distance in these narrow corridors that makes up most of this game and it doesn’t even matter since they dash all over the place either way. Maybe if we had some defense items like in RE2 and RE1 Remake.

Honestly the zombies never felt all that spongy to me in RE2 Remake, they clearly take damage and stagger when you shoot them in the face, or decapitate their limbs. In RE3R they don’t. I don’t know why, maybe they wanted them to compliment the new dodge mechanic system which I still find finicky and a bit too silly, it almost feels like Resident Evil 6 all over again. I also hate how the final boss has trash mobs coming after you on top of the boss itself, I loathe bosses like that.

There is quite a bit to like in RE3 Remake, I like Jill’s new design how she’s written, I like Carlos, the first part of the game almost felt like a Resident Evil game with the level design but then it goes downhill from there. Nemesis isn’t all that threatening anymore, he was the best type of stalker enemy in any game out there and now he’s like the lames. The remake cut out a lot of neat content and enemies from the original making the replay value suffer which is what I like about Resident Evil games. It’s fine that they wanted to change the story a bit but I feel they should have added something else in place of the stuff that was omitted.

Yeah, overall I still liked it but I really hope they go back to the old formula if they are gonna do any more remakes.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only just past Jill's 2nd fight with Nemesis, and although I love the graphics and intimidating nature of what you're up against main villain wise, it feels too arcadey and less suspenseful than RE2 Remake. By that I mean grenade launcher ammo is handed out like cake before you get to the monsters. In RE2 Remake you had to tread carefully in sewer muck past the big sewer monsters to get your valuable ammo, and they were less simple looking and more sophisticated than in RE3 Remake. Just about everything in RE2 Remake involved more careful planning of where to go and what to get. Also, in RE3 Remake, just as you think you're about to encounter something even more dreadful than what you just got past, you're often given a cutscene that saves the day and transfers you to Jill or Carlos. Even Nemesis, as menacing as he is, seems like a reskin of Mr X in the early parts of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.