Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

RE5 and what came before it.

dwashba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By dwashba

Do I need to play or know the story's of the other resident evils to get/enjoy the story of 5. I bought it a couple of days ago during the steam sale, not having played any of the others.    

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

No, they are all separate ala Final Fantasy.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " No, they are all separate ala Final Fantasy. "
    Not really. They're all interconnected, and several feature the same characters (this has a couple from the first game), but you don't need to have played them. You'd probably get more out of it if you were a long time fan, but the real star of the show is the gameplay, and story is secondary.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    Not really. They're all interconnected, and several feature the same characters (this has a couple from the first game), but you don't need to have played them. You'd probably get more out of it if you were a long time fan, but the real star of the show is the gameplay, and story is secondary. "
    They do?... 

Wow, I never knew that I just thought it was some bullshit story about shooting zombies in the face.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By toowalrus

Resident Evil 5 was my first Resident Evil, and I loved it. That game was awesome, almost my GOTY. You should definitely play it, and not worry about the older games. I hear they're great- I'm not knocking them, I'm just saying they aren't necessary to enjoy RE5.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    Not really. They're all interconnected, and several feature the same characters (this has a couple from the first game), but you don't need to have played them. You'd probably get more out of it if you were a long time fan, but the real star of the show is the gameplay, and story is secondary. "
    I think the people that get most out of RE5 aren't the long time fans, but the recent players, as it is arguably one of the worse RE games to date.
    dwashba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dwashba

thanks thats all I really need to know! ganna go play it soon.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By agentboolen
    @dwashba:  The story has been beaten like a dead horse.  All you really need to know is a  Pharmaceutical company created a virus that turned people into zombies, then while trying to fix the virus they made more viruses (now where at mutated zombies).  It started in Racoon City and has spreaded to other areas....  Like the far fetch idea of getting to Africa.  This is mostly what the story is about.

Its a great game but the story really needs to be traded in for a new story in the next game.
    JonGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By JonGamer

They all have some sort of continuity with certain characters and organizations... but Resident Evil 5 can be played by itself and still have an enjoyable storyline. I've only played RE1, 4, and now 5 so I'm a little lost when it comes to certain aspects of the backstory. Have fun!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.