Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

This game destroyed the story (spoilers)

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By the8bitNacho

Okay, first off, I know Resident Evil doesn't exactly have a fantastic story to begin with.  It's filled with retconning and convulsion.  For me at least, it was one worth following, and the backstory on all of the characters was intriguing and interesting.  While I loved Resident Evil 5's gameplay to death, I did feel that this game absolutely destroyed any headway that the story was making.

First of all: Ozwell E. Spencer.  This guy has been lurking in the shadows since the very first game, and when we finally see him, it's in a flashback and Wesker kills him within thirty seconds. 

Wesker was manufactured:  Project Wesker has got to be the worst idea ever.  Wesker was fine as he was being a superhuman and all.  Did Capcom really have to add this extra layer of retarded retconning on top of him?

Jill:  I have to admit how disappointed I was with how little of a part Jill played BEFORE her identity was revealed.  She made what, three appearances?

Wesker in general:  Wesker seemed incredibly out of character in this game when compared to previous ones.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about the consistency in his overall character just didn't feel right.

THE ENDING:  Okay, so given the amount of buildup and all of the work Capcom put into retconning Wesker as the series' supervillain, he dies with zero fanfare.  "That was for our fallen brothers!"  Seriously!?  The man who supposedly orchaestrated the entire series from start to finish dies, and this is all that's said!?  I'm fine with him dying, but come on!  It was handled so poorly!  Chris and Jill should have had more than a slight glance at each other after his death, considering the absolute hell Wesker had put them through since the first game.  If this had been a movie, that would have been an incredibly emotional scene.

The overall story seemed like a cop-out to try and wrap up the Umbrella portion of the story and move on.  I think Umbrella and Wesker had one more game in them.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

I agree, the ending was terrible. The whole story of the game was garbage but the ending could have at least given Wesker the finish he deserved rather than just blowing him up like every other Resident Evil villain.

zymase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zymase

"That was for our fallen brothers," made me laugh out loud.  I think I even said something out loud about pouring one out for my homies.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By azteris

I completely disagree with all of your points except the ending.

Ozwell E. Spencer hasn't been the central focus so far (atleast not more so than all of Umbrella's central employees), and Wesker is superhuman. It's not like he died of a sneezing fit.

I don't think (or atleast what I got from their conversation) they meant that Wesker was necessarily made in a laboratory as much as he was made into what he is now from all the testing and such.

As for Jill, I don't think she should have been more pushed more in your face. She very aqequately filled the Ada or Wesker type of the agent that made select appearances only when she needed to. I do wish they would have used her more after she was freed though.

Avatar image for prettyhatemachine
    prettyhatemachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By prettyhatemachine

I've just mentioned this in another discussion but yeah you're totally right. Wesker being manufactured was really dumb, I thought the idea of this elaborate scheme between him and Birkin was fine/crazy enough as it was. The Jill thing was really dumb, her apparent death in a flashback and then her surprise revaltion as Weskers agent? If anyone was surprised by that/actually cared then I'd be surprised. The whole point of Weskers return being so effective was that it was out of the blue, the guy had been written off as dismembered and blown up for him to show up in CV with crazy superhuman abilities. The Wesker being out of character thing is hard to describe, but can look no further than this "right to be a God" crap, so out of the blue and makes no sense, since when has he been concerned with his own material gains and nothing like this forced evolution crap. It just seemed like such a stupid way to wrap up the series and a slap in the face to long term fans, I'll iterate that this is all obviously just my opinion.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By fenixrevolution

The ending really was the worst part of the game. The story overall was such a letdown for this game. They had all the backstory and loose ends to work with and the best they could do was make Wesker generic and Jill not being dead as the biggest twist in the game. I was expecting so much more. =(

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
    deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

My Favorite part of Capcom's improvements to Wesker was he's amazing and suddenly found karate abilities. But i feel like I've seen it some where before...

... oh right.
    RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RawShark

I totally agree. Another thing for me was Ouroboros - so, everything in every Resident Evil game was supposedly building up to this EPIC SUPER VIRUS? So that Wesker can OMG RULE THE WORLD? Oh man. Resident Evil 5 totally lost the dark corporate intrigue of the games prior to Resident Evil 4. The story of competing egos and lapsed morality, and of people who would sell their souls and bodies to become Gods among men. Resident Evil 5 didn't incorporate enough of the previous Resident Evil plot for my liking. The whole mystery of the Umbrella corporation was summed up in one cutscene where Wesker kills Spencer, and some files that non RE-tards won't read. Okay, I really liked RE5, and I'm not nerdy enough to nerdrage over ruining the plot a bit, but I gotta say, I grinned ear to ear when the Lickers returned. That was like, the only tie to the past games that meant anything.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60

I disagree.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead
    CL60 said:
    "I disagree."
    Why?
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By PureRok
    HandsomeDead said:
    "CL60 said:
    "I disagree."
    Why?"
    Because he can, I guess.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gizmo
    HandsomeDead said:
    "CL60 said:
    "I disagree."
    Why?"
    To get his post count up.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

This game destroyed everything Resident Evil 4 improved on.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CL60
    Gizmo said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "CL60 said:
    "I disagree."
    Why?"
    To get his post count up."
    Do I have to explain everything? No I don't
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Snail
    CL60 said:
    "Gizmo said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "CL60 said:
    "I disagree."
    Why?"
    To get his post count up."
    Do I have to explain everything? No I don't"
    If you're not going to explain it then don't even post. This isn't a poll, it is a discussion thread and you are not adding to the discussion.
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Ket87

The story in Resident Evil was destroyed after RE4. As soon as Capcom made the decision that undead zombies, T-Virus, and Umbrella were no longer important to Resident Evil I lost faith in the franchise. Resident Evil was always my favorite series, RE2 is still my favorite game ever made. But I just can't like it anymore. RE4 started a chain of ridiculousness that was tolerable because of the tight gameplay that was rather fun if you forgot that the box said Resident Evil 4 (well technically 4 Resident Evil). But RE5 was crap, I tried to do as much as I could to love it but after like two weeks I shelfed it, then pulled it out for all of 20 minutes for the Versus add-on.

LADIESMAN217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LADIESMAN217

Yeah, the game was my biggest disappointment. I might trade it in soon.

RE4 Wii edition ftw!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Milkman

I would care if the game wasn't awesome. Oh wait, the game is awesome as shit so I don't care.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Ket87 said:
    The story in Resident Evil was destroyed after RE4. As soon as Capcom made the decision that undead zombies, T-Virus, ... [more]
    I liked the game, but I felt like it almost shouldn't have even tried to go back to Wesker and the old RE story without the proper T-Virus and flesh eating zombies.

I really, really want them to remake RE2, having it play like RE5 with the co-op and everything.  That would be a kickass game.
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ket87
    Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    Ket87 said: The story in Resident Evil was destroyed after RE4. As soon as Capcom made the decision that undead ... [more]
    Yeah if they would remake RE2 I could die a happy man.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By the8bitNacho
    Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    Ket87 said: The story in Resident Evil was destroyed after RE4. As soon as Capcom made the decision that undead ... [more]
    If RE2 played like RE5, it wouldn't be RE2 anymore.  They need to remake it in the style of the GameCube RE remake.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    Kombat said:
    Stephen_Von_Cloud said: Ket87 said: The story in Resident Evil was destroyed after RE4. As soon as Capcom made the decision ... [more]
    Maybe use the RE2 angles and when you aim, make it all RE5-like. Make it pretty dark though so you couldn't just snipe with the pistol through every part.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BBQBram
    @Milkman:
    Exactly. I respect the sentiment people still have for the old style of RE, but it's been done to death already and the gameplay doesn't hold up in the present day AT ALL (imo). So for the series to be moving in a more action-oriented direction, it makes sense for the stories to have some more pulse as well. I'm all for dark schemes and intrigue but at this point, a stylized action flick-ish wrap-up of the main story was the way to go. Now I'm no RE story buff, so I understand people expecting more depth with all the story arcs culminating into something huge, but they went for the streamlined blockbuster plot which for this game, feels perfect.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @BBQBram said:
    " @Milkman: Exactly. I respect the sentiment people still have for the old style of RE, but it's been done to death already and the gameplay doesn't hold up in the present day AT ALL (imo). So for the series to be moving in a more action-oriented direction, it makes sense for the stories to have some more pulse as well. I'm all for dark schemes and intrigue but at this point, a stylized action flick-ish wrap-up of the main story was the way to go. Now I'm no RE story buff, so I understand people expecting more depth with all the story arcs culminating into something huge, but they went for the streamlined blockbuster plot which for this game, feels perfect. "
    RE4's gameplay was drastically different from the rest of the series, yet the story still had the same feeling despite the loss of zombies as the primary focus.  I'm not at all complaining about the gameplay.  It's just as good as it was in RE4, and anyone that says otherwise is retarded.  RE5 tore the story apart, pissed all over fan-favoirte characters and shit in our faces.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60

no

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Yeah, if this was suppose to be a final game in the story, they could have gone out with a bang rather than a whimper.

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

On second thought, we should have had a complete Jill and Chris suck fest at the end. Right before credits roll, Chris bricks in Jill's mouth. Fan boys would be going "WTF! QQ ". That's the proper way to send off an incredible kick ass series like this.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BBQBram
    @Kombat:
    Yeah, I guess I'm not invested enough in the existing story to really care that much. When you say they ruined your favorite characters, what are you referring to?
    AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AzureSupernova

I can totally agree with why you might see Wesker differently in RE5. He just lost that cool edge he had in Code Veronica and even his small cameos in RE4. He no longer calmly sat back and assessed the situation, but toyed with his prey and then failed to finish them off because he was simply too stuck up his own ass with Colmplete Global Saturation. I just think everything about this game lacked those certain factors that make a Resident Evil game Resident Evil... out cool, collected and calculating Wesker being one of those things. Without him the plot simply suffers.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By MadBootsy

People actually care about the Resident Evil storyline...?

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say I read two of those Resident Evil novels back in the day now that I think about it...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CL60

RE4 destroyed the story.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#34  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Wait, people actually care about the Resident Evil storyline on more than a superficial level? I certainly don't, although I do agree that Wesker did seem out of character from his previous appearances, but that's not why I play RE games.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By the8bitNacho

Nah, RE4's story was fine.  It took the familiar characters and threw them into a new, refreshing situation.  It moved the series forward.  RE5 threw everything right back to where it was pre-RE4, minus the storytelling.

AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AzureSupernova

Well almost everything in RE5 was done terribly anyway. Wesker had a complete personality change; an aspects of horror were just sucked from the series; everything was too action orientated, boat and car/bike chases. I dunno, it just seems like the odd one out in the whole series (sans Gaiden maybe)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Jeust

@BBQBram:

Are you forgetting the re5 is co-op and re4 isn't?

And in single player mode you have a nice looking annoying sheeva with you?

The gameplay isn't equal. And anyone who says otherwise is the "retarded" one.

I didn't care much for the story line, but really killing wesker was a bad call... he was the nemesis of the resident evil franchise! :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.