Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

Why was the violence toned down in RE5 from RE4?

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ImpendingFoil
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kratos81

The whole game was toned down. Why can I not even put treasure together like re4? Took the fun out of it.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Maybe because the graphics are more realistic.  I foresee more violence being toned down in future games as the capacity for graphical realism increases.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

If the black deaths were too extreme, Jesse Jackson would summon the ghost of Malcolm X and call forth the spirits of yore to uphold their age old oath to Frederick Douglass. Then, they would assault from behind on ghost ships and protect Harlem from the sieging Grand Hooded Wizard Sauron, and eventually, Al Sharpton would drop the chicken wing into the garbage disposal, destroying the leaning tower of Pisa and ushering in "the age of Political Correctness and ridiculously high suicide rates".

Edit: And if you couldn't tell, this is me satirizing what N'Gai Croal would dream about if RE5 were any more gory than it already is.
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Coltonio7

I dunno, that shotgun does a LOT.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dr_Cash

It's not really looks pretty blood tastic platter on my 65in 1080PHD TV

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dr_Cash

This is total BS. Just look when you die in the village tring to kill the big Ax man. All the villagers beat you with there knives and clubs when you die and blood is splatering . This is a joke thread there is plenty of gore.

When chainsaw man gets you he slices into you and you get ripped to shreds and blood splatter that Gametrailers video is not even showing most of what really happens.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_
    Dr_Cash said:
    "This is total BS. Just look when you die in the village tring to kill the big Ax man. All the villagers beat you with there knives and clubs when you die and blood is splatering . This is a joke thread there is plenty of gore.When chainsaw man gets you he slices into you and you get ripped to shreds and blood splatter that Gametrailers video is not even showing most of what really happens."

Dr_Cash said:
    "It's not really looks pretty blood tastic platter on my 65in 1080PHD TV"
    Huh...
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Jayge said:
    "chicken wing"
    Disgusting use of racial stereotypes.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Jayge said:
    "chicken wing"
    Disgusting use of racial stereotypes."
    It rhymed with "ring".
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheFreeMan

Based off of what I've seen in the game, it's not as gory, but not by a ton.

The most gory death I remember in number 4 was from those blind berserker guys with Wolverine claws. They stabbed you several times and then ripped your head off if I remember correctly.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Jayge said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Jayge said:
    "chicken wing"
    It rhymed with "ring".
    "
    Look at whitey trying to excuse his ignorance.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By EpicSteve

I didn't even noticed it was toned down.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Jayge said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Jayge said:
    "chicken wing"
    It rhymed with "ring".
    "
    Look at whitey trying to excuse his ignorance."
    Listen man, I'll set up a scholarship, I'll donate man, I'll do anything please I'm so sorry!
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By TheHBK

That seems weird to me too.  In the demo your head dont come off, which in RE4 you saw your ass fall down with no head.  Of course I think it is still more violent that the RE games before that.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolswor

aww bro, you need to pick up some Gears of War!  That shit be straight up realistic!
    Why the hell does it matter?  I didn't even die except to quicktime events(my partner somtimes liked to see what would happen if he didn't push the buttons).

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

The gore was toned down...

The controls were toned down...

The gameplay was toned down...

The fun factor was toned down...

Hmm, I see a pattern...
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Diamond said:
    "Maybe because the graphics are more realistic.  I foresee more violence being toned down in future games as the capacity for graphical realism increases."

Er....

I don't think you've played Condemned 2: Bloodshot or Gears of War 2.

Oh, yeah, and F.E.A.R......!

Edit: Or about 2/3 of console games this generation.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Karmum
    jakob187 said:
    "The gore was toned down...

Hmm, I see a pattern...
    "
    Appealing to a more casual consumer? Like many games are now doing.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Karmum said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "The gore was toned down...

Hmm, I see a pattern...
    "
    Appealing to a more casual consumer? Like many games are now doing."

No, I think he means that the game isn't as good as its predecessor.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheFreeMan
    jakob187 said:
    "The fun factor was toned down...
    But doubled for two people! That's gotta compensate for something, right?

Right?
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

Pfft i enjoyed it

it wasn't an awful game and i basically played it like a glamified RE4 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By jakob187
    ZombieHunter said:
    "Pfft i enjoyed it

it wasn't an awful game and i basically played it like a glamified RE4"
    I wasn't asking for RE5 to reinvent the wheel.  I just expected it to not be boredom-inducing...and ya know, better than Dead Space at least.  Then again, Dead Space is a pretty high bar.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheFreeMan
    jakob187 said:
    "ZombieHunter said:
    "Pfft i enjoyed it

it wasn't an awful game and i basically played it like a glamified RE4"
    I wasn't asking for RE5 to reinvent the wheel.  I just expected it to not be boredom-inducing...and ya know, better than Dead Space at least.  Then again, Dead Space is a pretty high bar.
    "
    I really liked RE5.....it was a blast playing through with my bro. Did you play through by yourself?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yeah I noticed this a while ago. There is no longer beheading from what I've seen.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Diamond said:
    "Maybe because the graphics are more realistic.  I foresee more violence being toned down in future games as the capacity for graphical realism increases."
    Er....I don't think you've played Condemned 2: Bloodshot or Gears of War 2.Oh, yeah, and F.E.A.R......!Edit: Or about 2/3 of console games this generation."
    Played every one of those.  RE5 is more detailed though, and is usually just as gory.  You still blow up people's heads in Resident Evil 5.  I think as time goes forward and games approach virtually real graphics the only people that are going to want to play hyper violent games are hyper violent (sick) people.  Games still look like games.  It's easy to say 'hah, that's so fake'.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Diamond said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Diamond said:
    Er....I don't think you've played Condemned 2: Bloodshot or Gears of War 2.Oh, yeah, and F.E.A.R......!Edit: Or about 2/3 of console games this generation."
    Played every one of those.  RE5 is more detailed though, and is usually just as gory.  You still blow up people's heads in Resident Evil 5.  I think as time goes forward and games approach virtually real graphics the only people that are going to want to play hyper violent games are hyper violent (sick) people.  Games still look like games.  It's easy to say 'hah, that's so fake'."

My point is that "violence" in media is increasing, parallel to the increase in the sophistication of the technology with which the violence is brought to life.

I've seen a guy's junk cut out on screen, without being blacked out, and fed to a rottweiler. No this was not a snuff film (close,) it was Hostel, Pt. II. When you can see shit like that on the screen, and when you can play a video game in which you crush a bitch's head inside an industrial press, I don't think you can claim that there is a trend of decreasing violence in modern media.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

lmao at the death groan in RE4, UUUURRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!............

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Diamond said:
    My point is that "violence" in media is increasing, parallel to the increase in the sophistication of the technology with which the violence is brought to life.I've seen a guy's junk cut out on screen, without being blacked out, and fed to a rottweiler. No this was not a snuff film (close,) it was Hostel, Pt. II. When you can see shit like that on the screen, and when you can play a video game in which you crush a bitch's head inside an industrial press, I don't think you can claim that there is a trend of decreasing violence in modern media."
    I disagree with that then.  It's decreased in games in my eyes.  Mortal Kombat had you ripping out peoples spines and crushing people's hearts.  Doom & Doom 2's gibs were much more graphic, but less visually realistic.  Used to be we had tons of gibbing, now we have more ragdolls.  Rise of the Triad had eyeballs hitting the screen.

I think games are just about as gory as they ever were, but slightly less.  I don't think you can directly compare games to other mediums in this way.  The difference with games is you're directly acting out the violence in games.  There won't be as much tolerance for people as with movies.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HandsomeDead
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Diamond said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Diamond said:
    Played every one of those.  RE5 is more detailed though, and is usually just as gory.  You still blow up people's heads in Resident Evil 5.  I think as time goes forward and games approach virtually real graphics the only people that are going to want to play hyper violent games are hyper violent (sick) people.  Games still look like games.  It's easy to say 'hah, that's so fake'."
    My point is that "violence" in media is increasing, parallel to the increase in the sophistication of the technology with which the violence is brought to life.I've seen a guy's junk cut out on screen, without being blacked out, and fed to a rottweiler. No this was not a snuff film (close,) it was Hostel, Pt. II. When you can see shit like that on the screen, and when you can play a video game in which you crush a bitch's head inside an industrial press, I don't think you can claim that there is a trend of decreasing violence in modern media."
    It all depends on how gratuitous it's made though. Of course, putting someone's head in an industrial press is gruesome, but the game made the head basically turn to dust and it was gone. If it would have had eyeballs popping out, brains going everywhere and blood splurging on the walls with a bit of nerve twitching from the body, that would be real violence.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There are still a number of macabre deaths, they're just fewer and further between--it sort of makes them more jarring.

Like, that one Shell-Plagas that bursts from enemies later on in the campaign? That thing can bite you in half.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.