Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 02, 2011

A standalone package version of the popular "The Mercenaries" minigame from the Resident Evil series for the Nintendo 3DS.

Alot people seem pissed about this game.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

Not just because of the 1 save file issue.But just that the whole game itself seem like a mini game.I read some comments on gamespot,ign and amazon.People felt like they been rip-off after playing this game.But what did they expect from it.From what I've seen it what just Re4 and Re5 mercenaries mode put together.Seems like capcom threw it together just for a quick cash in.But what do some of you guys think about it,and for the people that bought it do you feel you got your money's worth?  

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

I love the mercenary mode, I played shit loads of it in RE4.

However, I don't want to play this at all.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By buft

its that they havent included all the maps from said modes from both games and the general lack of content, sure there is replayability but eventually those handful of maps will get stale

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sayishere

They should of basically added this game to Revalations to make it an amazing package, but theres probably restrictions with that. From the footage ive seen it looks rushed, and the sound? jesus it sounds shit.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By SamStrife

To me it honestly feels like Capcom knew Resident Evil fans would go mental for it at first but realise once they bought it, they'd regret it but at that point who cares, they have their money.  And that seems like exactly what's happened.  It's Resident Evil Fan's fault as much as it is Capcom's.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

You're supposed to hit the spacebar after you end a sentence.

Also, the game kind of looks like shit. And that's from a Resident Evil fan who owns a 3DS.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mfpantst
    @Rolyatkcinmai: Hey layoff- he could just be high.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Yanngc33

who would buy this? They're charging 40 bucks for what was a bonus mode in previous games

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By DrMcKittrick

This is juts another example of Capcom screwing people. If they wanted to do it right they would've just ported 4 over like Nintendo did Zelda.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By sirdesmond

@DrMcKittrick said:

This is juts another example of Capcom screwing people. If they wanted to do it right they would've just ported 4 over like Nintendo did Zelda.

Yea, I agree with this. I mean they should have either just tacked this game as a large bonus mode of the real, new RE coming to 3DS or just ported one of the older ones over. I would have been up for some 3D RE4 with these modes on the side.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By EpicSteve

I think it also has a lot to do with the general low quality of the package.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The general concept is boring to me, I liked it in 4, but why put a timed mode in a SURVIVAL horror game.

Resident Evil had all the options to make a Zombie Horde like game all along.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm

Capcom's new business model is ripping people off. What the fuck else is new?

JuggernautAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JuggernautAK

It's RE5 number 431432  and it'looks like crap mixed with mayo glazed over a 2 dollar hooker's ass.  You can still hit it but you won't be happy about it.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By august

I'd feel ripped off if I was into games where you can't move and shoot at the same time.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's a horrible value proposition. $40 for something that was an unlockable minigame in 4 and 5? No thank you. The one save file thing is icing on the cake, because it screws over used sales and thus the chance that anyone will be able to get it for a reasonable price.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Sooty

Even if it was $20 I wouldn't buy it. The shooting mechanics in RE4 and RE5 are ass.They have no weight behind the gunplay and the sounds and animations are laughable.

Capcom: Go steal the movement and solid shooting found in Dead Space and bring back the RE2 style of Resident Evil. Zombies. Spiders. Mutants. Dogs.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

Well it's just the RE gameplay without any story at all, which makes it really boring.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By ViciousReiven

I think it's the best handheld experience I've had in years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it. I'm really enjoying it and if I get at least eight hours out of it I'd say it was worth it, and it's already clear I'll play it way more than that.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm not really a fan of resident evil, but my understanding is the appeal is the survival/action-horror, with poor controls to add to it, and a ridiculous story (some consider that good, others not so much). 

This is an arcade version made from that framework. The result is a poor controlling kind of action game that ditches most of the stuff people liked from the franchise - to say nothing of the high cost to low content ratio. 

Pretty understandable it's not getting love

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Ygg said:

Even if it was $20 I wouldn't buy it. The shooting mechanics in RE4 and RE5 are ass.They have no weight behind the gunplay and the sounds and animations are laughable. Capcom: Go steal the movement and solid shooting found in Dead Space and bring back the RE2 style of Resident Evil. Zombies. Spiders. Mutants. Dogs.

As much as I loved RE4 (hated RE5), I'd play the shit out of this. I really miss when there were actual puzzles in RE. Not to mention real zombies.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheMustacheHero

In concept it feels like an awful idea. But when you actually get the product, it's still an awful idea. I'm sure the only people who bought this only got it because they wanted a shooty game for their 3DS.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Afroman269

People who actually payed money for this thing deserve what they get.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By Chris2KLee

I think this would have been an alright $10 download on the E-Shop. As a $40 cartridge it's is 4 times less than alright.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By falserelic

Well its getting mixed reactions people either going to like it or hate it. For me I probably won't pick it up. I am a RE fan and I love the resident evil series. But the 3d mercenaries is something I've already played countless times in RE4&5. I can't see myself enjoying it for too long. Especially sense their is a lack of content and nothing new to really keep me interested. 

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrangryface

@ViciousReiven said:

lol

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Because it's mercenaries. 
    My least favorite part of RE. 
    Galaxian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Galaxian

Seems like most people that don't own the game are getting upset about it.

I own it and am enjoying playing Mercenaries on the go. It's a damn site better than the crappy iPhone version that was released and offers short sessions of gameplay while I'm on the move. Lets face it the Mercenaries mode was never very popular and most people just skipped it in RE4 & RE5. If you don't like Mercenaries you're not going to enjoy this.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sayishere

I mean if it reduces down to like £10 ($18) id pick it up

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@Afroman269 said:

People who actually payed money for this thing deserve what they get.

Give it to me, baby.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BBQBram

I'm on the fence because I love mercs but I'm disappointed with the texture and audio quality. The lack of new content is no problem for me, unlocking perks and especially custom load-outs is a great addition to this score-attack game that I'd love to play on the go. Besides, I've already got SSFIV3D and am picking up OoT3D soon so I guess I'll get this in the dry spell before Star Fox kicks of the bigger releases.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SuperWristBands

I was really excited about this game, being a huge fan of RE5's Mercenaries. I was really up on it even though everyone was down on it, and I was a day away from buying a 3DS, Mercs 3DS and Zelda 3DS. Then I watched GameTrailers review and really got a good listen to the sound and noticed that you can reload and move at the same time. It's odd, I know, to be completely turned off by such small things but it really felt wrong, and I decided that I can wait longer to see what Sony has to offer with the Vita.

I really liked RE4's tank controls and thought RE5 was fine, because even though they added more options for movement I could still handicap myself and have the same feel RE4 did. Anyway, I just wish that Capcom would make this game for a console or PC, had a good run of Mercs on both the PC and 360 and I would totally be down for a more in-depth version of the game.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60
    @Ygg said:
    Even if it was $20 I wouldn't buy it. The shooting mechanics in RE4 and RE5 are ass.They have no weight behind the gunplay and the sounds and animations are laughable.  Capcom: Go steal the movement and solid shooting found in Dead Space and bring back the RE2 style of Resident Evil. Zombies. Spiders. Mutants. Dogs.
    I would love a RE game that plays similar to Dead Space(Maybe a little bit slower) and with the zombies seen in the old RE games. I hate the "Zombies" that RE games have now. :'( I want real zombies back.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ajamafalous

@august said:

I'd feel ripped off if I was into games where you can't move and shoot at the same time.

Lol'd

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Hailinel

I haven't played the game, but I can at least see the appeal of it. All talk of price aside, Mercenaries 3D seems very much like a game that one would pick up and play in short spurts, which seems well-suited to a handheld. It's not a game that one would necessarily try to clear in extended play sessions.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jmfinamore
    @Ygg said:
    Even if it was $20 I wouldn't buy it. The shooting mechanics in RE4 and RE5 are ass.They have no weight behind the gunplay and the sounds and animations are laughable.  Capcom: Go steal the movement and solid shooting found in Dead Space and bring back the RE2 style of Resident Evil. Zombies. Spiders. Mutants. Dogs.
    This isn't the spot to talk about this, but I totally agree. I can't speak too much on 4 as I've only played a little bit of it (and didn't like it). But 5 was a goddamn late stage abortion of a game. I played a few hours of coop and I could not believe that anyone, at any time, enjoyed playing that game. Just navigating the environment was a fucking travesty. And then the absurdly cumbersome shooting (even though you play as some steroid infused elephant man). Not to mention the awful aesthetic of the actual game/menus. God I hated just about everything about that thing. I don't know what it was, but I can't recall a bid budget (hell, non flash) game I enjoyed less in a number of years. 
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ViciousReiven
    @mrangryface said:

@ViciousReiven said:

lol

What's so funny about that? 
    It's exactly what I want in a handheld game, it's easy to pick up and play, there's no commitment so you can stop at any point, and most importantly it's fun
    It might not have much content as RE5's Mercenaries but it definitely doesn't lack in content, which is really confusing since that's one of the things reviewers are apparently complaining about? 

I feel as though everyone has some mass hysteria caused by the whole save data fiasco that makes them only look for the bad in it instead of letting themselves have some goddamn fun.
    Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kandycane2029
    @DrMcKittrick said:

Maybe they'll get it right when Super Resident Evil: The Mercenaries: Hyper Turbo Tournament Championship  Arcade Edition Third Strike HD Remix DX is released.
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By falserelic
    @Kandycane2029 said:
    @DrMcKittrick said:

Maybe they'll get it right when Super Resident Evil: The Mercenaries: Hyper Turbo Tournament Championship  Arcade Edition Third Strike HD Remix DX is released.
    LOL! I can actually see capcom doing something like that.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By OneManX

@Kandycane2029 said:

@DrMcKittrick said:

Maybe they'll get it right when Super Resident Evil: The Mercenaries: Hyper Turbo Tournament Championship Arcade Edition Third Strike HD Remix DX is released.

Dont be crazy.... DX is a Namco thing.

step2ice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By step2ice
    @EuanDewar said:

I love the mercenary mode, I played shit loads of it in RE4.

However, I don't want to play this at all.

Exactly. 
    More content, good visuals in every situation and not just at first glance, constant frame rate and a up to date sound quality. But as it is, no.
    I hope for a real Mercenaries stand alone game appereance on console though.
    demonkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By demonkd

just from watching the review the game looked like it was rushed and thrown together for a quick buck

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By falserelic
    @demonkd said:
    just from watching the review the game looked like it was rushed and thrown together for a quick buck
    I agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.