Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Respawn Entertainment

Company »

Formed by ex-Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella, Respawn Entertainment is a game development company owned by EA.

Control over MW or all of COD?

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsmoke77

To me its not really clear if they are trying to get control of the call of duty name and or series itself or just modern warfare. The news articles are saying things like "Though no new titles were revealed, today's announcement emphasized the fact that Respawn will have full control of all intellectual properties it creates" and "Now that the team is in control of the games and brands, we can ensure that the fans are treated as well as they deserve" to me that means COD and MW but they then go on to state "the pair alleged they were promised control of the Modern Warfare brand" which sounds like they would just get MW and not the call of duty name. If Activision loses rights to the call of duty series what would result of the COD games currently being developed by Treyarch and sledgehammer and the call of duty division that Activision created . I hope they get control of everything because I am sure they will treat it more as a game and try and to what is right for the fans not as a large cash tree which is what activision is doing.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JokerSmilez

That quote is referring to all future games Respawn creates. They're currently trying to claim rights to the Modern Warfare brand (or any Call of Duty game that takes place after the Vietnam War) in the lawsuit they've filed against Activision.

From the looks of things, this whole dust-up with Activision seemed to be about control of the Call of Duty and Modern Warfare franchises as well as their freedom to work on something new, and not just another MW game.

This deal with EA where they maintain control over their IP is them making sure they don't end up in a similar situation where the publisher is telling them what they have to make and how they have to make it.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By swamplord666

Tbh i don't care about the modern warfare name. I would love to see what these talented individuals can create next!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

iirc they essentially got a veto on any Call of Duty branded game set during or after Vietnam.  Whether that was limited to their term employment remains to be seen.

I'm pretty sure the CoD and MW brands themselves belong to Acti, so these guys couldn't use them now whatever happens - they just might still have a say in how Acti uses them.  But 'promised' sounds like 'it isn't in a contract', so I would guess they're out of luck and Acti can use them however they want.  It was probably more of a "if you break this promise, we will leave" sorta deal, which they've done now anyway.

When they say "Now that the team is in control of the games and brands", they are talking about any future brands they create as Respawn - these brands will be entirely owned by Respawn, with EA merely publishing for them.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By bigsmoke77
    @JokerSmilez:So would they share control of the Call of duty name or are they looking to take total control away from Activision? 
    @swamplord666:  I am hoping for a MW3 to end the series and the story and then the creation of new and exciting titles.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @bigsmoke77: 
    Activision will always have the Call of Duty brand. They own it. West and Zampella can't take it away or use it.

However, what West and Zampella are attempting to do with their lawsuit is 
    a) say they still hold creative rights to the brand, preventing Activision from making a post-Vietnam war Call of Duty game (or any Modern Warfare branded game) without permission from West and Zampella and
    b) collect some amount of royalties on all future Call of Duty games.

If there ever is a MW3, Activision will be making it, likely with whatever remains of IW. However, that all depends on the outcome of the lawsuit. There is a request in the lawsuit to prevent Activision from even beginning work on another MW game until the lawsuit is resolved, so we'll see...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.