Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ridge Racer Unbounded

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 27, 2012

Crash through buildings and takedown the opposition in Bugbear's very different take on Namco's Ridge Racer franchise.

The World Is Yours In Ridge Racer Unbounded

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    No Caption Provided

They won’t say it in so many words, but the folks at Namco have a lot riding on Ridge Racer Unbounded. Though its long-running arcade racer has maintained a strong enough fan base to support some 20-odd titles over the past 18 years, there’s little question that the waters have grown stagnant. People just aren’t excited about Ridge Racer like they used to be--just ask Kaz Hirai.

So, good on Namco for showing a little stone and bringing in Finnish developer Bugbear to mix things up with Ridge Racer Unbounded, a game that bears little resemblance to a traditional Ridge Racer game beyond shiny cars going fast. Bugbear has plenty of experience with racing games, and from the one race I’ve had a chance to play so far, the influence of the destructive, rubbin’-is-racin’ philosophy of Bugbear’s FlatOut series is palpable. (Ridge Racer purists who are already sobbing openly and burning their Reiko Nagase bodypillows, chill: Namco assures us that a proper Ridge Racer 8 is still on the way.) Players are encouraged to fill up a power meter with clean, risky driving, then use that power to smash through walls and take out competing drivers. By virtue of the FlatOut connection, it’s easy to then draw comparisons between Unbounded and the Burnout games, as well as other derivatives like Split/Second. To this end, Unbounded, at least in its current state, doesn’t have the same level of visual pop as either of those, and the handling model is still in the process of being tuned, though the potential's clearly there.

No Caption Provided

What Unbounded does bring to the table, though, is its city creator, which Namco and Bugbear are showing off now for the first time. At its most basic, this is a track editor that presents you with a grid, lets you pick from pre-fab track sections that come in a few different flavors, chain them together into a track of your own design, and then share them with the community. Though the pre-fab track parts don’t provide for much detailed track-crafting, an advance mode will allow you to specifically place obstacles and explosive objects, and the end results look virtually indistinguishable from what we’ve seen so far of the dense, urban, developer-built tracks the game will ship with. The number of unique tiles that Bugbear will produce for the final game, as well as the number of tiles players will be able to use in a single track, are still up in the air, and both seem like real make-or-break factors for the success of this feature.

With its current, vague 2012 release date, Bugbear seems to have plenty of time to do that work, and assuming that the fundamentals gameplay comes together, Unbounded has the potential to fill the current void of crash-happy, high-impact arcade racing games, as well as broaden the scope of what the Ridge Racer name means. Like I said, there’s a lot riding on Unbounded, and I’ll be curious to see its impact on the future of Ridge Racer if it actually pays off.

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    No Caption Provided

They won’t say it in so many words, but the folks at Namco have a lot riding on Ridge Racer Unbounded. Though its long-running arcade racer has maintained a strong enough fan base to support some 20-odd titles over the past 18 years, there’s little question that the waters have grown stagnant. People just aren’t excited about Ridge Racer like they used to be--just ask Kaz Hirai.

So, good on Namco for showing a little stone and bringing in Finnish developer Bugbear to mix things up with Ridge Racer Unbounded, a game that bears little resemblance to a traditional Ridge Racer game beyond shiny cars going fast. Bugbear has plenty of experience with racing games, and from the one race I’ve had a chance to play so far, the influence of the destructive, rubbin’-is-racin’ philosophy of Bugbear’s FlatOut series is palpable. (Ridge Racer purists who are already sobbing openly and burning their Reiko Nagase bodypillows, chill: Namco assures us that a proper Ridge Racer 8 is still on the way.) Players are encouraged to fill up a power meter with clean, risky driving, then use that power to smash through walls and take out competing drivers. By virtue of the FlatOut connection, it’s easy to then draw comparisons between Unbounded and the Burnout games, as well as other derivatives like Split/Second. To this end, Unbounded, at least in its current state, doesn’t have the same level of visual pop as either of those, and the handling model is still in the process of being tuned, though the potential's clearly there.

No Caption Provided

What Unbounded does bring to the table, though, is its city creator, which Namco and Bugbear are showing off now for the first time. At its most basic, this is a track editor that presents you with a grid, lets you pick from pre-fab track sections that come in a few different flavors, chain them together into a track of your own design, and then share them with the community. Though the pre-fab track parts don’t provide for much detailed track-crafting, an advance mode will allow you to specifically place obstacles and explosive objects, and the end results look virtually indistinguishable from what we’ve seen so far of the dense, urban, developer-built tracks the game will ship with. The number of unique tiles that Bugbear will produce for the final game, as well as the number of tiles players will be able to use in a single track, are still up in the air, and both seem like real make-or-break factors for the success of this feature.

With its current, vague 2012 release date, Bugbear seems to have plenty of time to do that work, and assuming that the fundamentals gameplay comes together, Unbounded has the potential to fill the current void of crash-happy, high-impact arcade racing games, as well as broaden the scope of what the Ridge Racer name means. Like I said, there’s a lot riding on Unbounded, and I’ll be curious to see its impact on the future of Ridge Racer if it actually pays off.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woooooooooooooooot!

Edit: Holy shit I actually did it.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By CaLe

The world was already mine.

Declarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Declarius

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa brings back memories of FlatOut, I've been spending tons of time on Ultimate Carnage lately and this is is very exciting. It's also on PC so my interest has rocketed

Shag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Shag
    @depecheload said:

Woooooooooooooooot!

Edit: Holy shit I actually did it.

Congrats
    theglobe88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By theglobe88

It seems that this is still as irrelevant as it's always been. 

RIIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Vexxan

I'm king of the world!

Sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sinful

riiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer..there im done.

Manburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Manburger

I enjoyed the Flatouts, so I'm feeling somewhat optimistic about this game. Hope the track-editor is up to snuff, I love me some track editin'.

BlueKranz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlueKranz

I always thought of the Ridge Racer series as that game no one has actually played. It only exists in silly PR debacles. "Riiiiiiidge Raaaaacer!!... No? Anyone?"

Generiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Generiko

yeah! I liked me some Flatout will definitely get this

fuchikoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By fuchikoma

I feel like RR has been getting worse... 4 was amazing, 5 was broken, 7 is pretty fun... Ridge Racers (PSP) was a lot like 7 and had a lot of replay value for me. Its sequel felt like they just slapped a new title screen on the previous game. Now Ridge Racer 3D is only about slipstreaming while constantly smashing into each other, and having the narrator chatter constantly about how you're slipstreaming, the opponent is slipstreaming, or if you ever get passed "woah, you just got owned!" Also, whoever's behind anyone gets a free pass because slipstreaming is a guaranteed pass - so it's all leapfrog until you get a big lead on them.

I hope RR8 dials it back a bit - the narrator and the slipstreaming, and makes it more about skillfully racing around the tracks. Unbounded? I'm just... not interested. I already have some smash em' up road racing games, and one or two is enough. I play racing games because I like racing... I don't get why they're trying to make RR something it's not, unless the game wouldn't survive without the brand name? It's like a GTA game where you only drive cars, or a Need for Speed game with shootouts... a Mass Effect that's all combat, etc.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By rapid

The city environments remind me of those from the Need for Speed games in the  undercover, Most wanted Era. Maybe its the similar structural design and lighting

mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordi

I like Bugbear. I bought FlatOut randomly around when it came out, and I loved that. Mostly because of the ragdoll-olympics part.

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Devoid

R4 was the last Ridge Racer, as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully this turns out good. Here's hoping.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By grilledcheez

I'm glad I actually read this article, the game sounds promising

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

There is no room in my heart for this game. I am sick to death of racing games set in cities. Urban environments are seriously played out now. I want offroad racing, or something fantastical. Really, somebody needs to bring back Beetle Adventure Racing, or at least something like it. That game had you driving through ancient pyramids, pirate coves, and haunted forests while still keeping its handling model somewhat realistic, and it was AMAZING.

Let's see some creative environment design here, people. Stop making boring racing games!

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AgentofChaos

@BlazeHedgehog said:

There is no room in my heart for this game. I am sick to death of racing games set in cities. Urban environments are seriously played out now. I want offroad racing, or something fantastical. Really, somebody needs to bring back Beetle Adventure Racing, or at least something like it. That game had you driving through ancient pyramids, pirate coves, and haunted forests while still keeping its handling model somewhat realistic, and it was AMAZING. Let's see some creative environment design here, people. Stop making boring racing games!

I am ALL FOR a comeback of Beetle Adventure Racing.

As for Ridge Racer, do these games even still sell well? I mean after all, there are a litany of excellent racers (or even just racers better than RR).

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By MeatSim

Kudos for trying something new with the franchise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.