Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of the Argonauts

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Dec 16, 2008

When King Jason's beloved Alceme is murdered at the altar on their wedding day, he embarks on a legendary journey with the greatest heroes of myth in order to find a way to bring her back to life, and get his revenge on the cultists who ordered her death.

Is this game any good?

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Optiow

so is this game any good?
    I have not reallyu heard much about it, what do you think?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

Apparently it is, but it's not great as it suffers from some basic flaws which really let down the innovation elsewhere in the game. The speech mechanics are better than Mass Effects I hear.

After reading a few reviews I have to come to the conclusion that this is one of those games that deserves to be remade, so they can fix the flaws and improve gameplay. It's such a shame, I was really looking forward to this, I love this sort of thing, but as it stands I am in no rush to play it.

EDIT:

GT Review

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By fox01313
    @Linkyshinks:

Thanks for posting this, the recent GT reviews have always given an overall look to the game compared to some lacklsuter website review videos where it's obvious they barely scratched the game before putting up the review. Since this game is what officially killed my 360 I can at least from the video get a better idea on if I want to go back to it later as the Rise of the Argonauts disc went back to Gamefly.  It looks like it might be an easy breezethrough of a game but at the same time taking up a good chunk of time that could be better spent with better games. Heh I'll try the demo when the 360 gets back from being repaired (if there is an XBL demo) & see it from there before getting it again on Gamefly or writing it off.
    mrcellophane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By mrcellophane

I completed the game long ago and I absolutely loved it. True, there are some gameplay bugs, but they're not game breakers at all. And the story absolutely carries the game all the way. It's very good

aldo_q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By aldo_q

I know this is a really old topic (the game itself also has been out quite some time now). But I only recently got this game from a bargain bin and perhaps somebody else will also come looking here for advice if they see it for cheap. I myself was quite surprised by this game. It's clearly quite buggy and not a tripple A game. The production lacks in many ways. Also the gameplay mechanic's are quite obvious (you really realise your just playing a game and can clearly see how the level design, etc. is done).

Having said that, I am quite enjoying myself with this title. I like that the game has an interesting story, even if it's far from the original Greek legends (so if your deep into that, the story might actually bother you). And you spend a lot of time just exploring and talking to people aside from fighting. So far most fights actually seemed like they fit in well with the story. Not the hordes and hordes of pointless enemies to keep you from going to point A to B to quickly. This was a breath of fresh air for me. The game seems to have a good balance between story, combat and dialogue.

If you can pick this game up cheap and can look past it's flaws and low production-values (note; some art work does look very good) this game is accually quite enjoyable. It also has a nice inventive 'leveling' system and clear and easy over-viewable collection system of armor, weapons, etc. Nothing that will overwelm you, but enough to inspire competitionists. I'd say it's worth buying....

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By dabe

Rise of The Argonauts is one of my favourite "overlooked" games from the last 10-15 years. Take a Bioware style RPG (Post KoTOR-Pre Mass Effect) and set it in and around greek mythology and you have this game -- with a few additional combat quirks & bugs.

Anyways, it has loads of Dialogue, Achilles, Paul Eiding, an arena sequence and centuars. Good enough for me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jimbo

Old Skool thread, but yeah Rise of the Argonauts was actually pretty good. It didn't take itself too seriously and was a lot of fun.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ComradeKhan

Picked this game up when it came out and beat it in a few sittings. Really liked it.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TentPole

I am sold. Just placed my order on Amazon.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By largo6661

I finished it and its only ok. Nothing is really bad but nothing is really good, the combat is kinda fun but sort of mindless. Pick it up if your curious, i bet it cheap now ;)

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By EightBitShik

I played about an hour of it and I wasn't liking it maybe I'll give it another shot later based off what these duders are saying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.