Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

RISK: Factions

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 23, 2010

Humans, Felines, Robots, Zombies, and Yeti collide in the 2010 downloadable adapation of the classic board game Risk.

One of the most frustrating games I've ever played.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RoyCampbell

Wow. Just wow.

While Risk: Factions IS a fun game when it works, it is frustrating as all hell. Oh, did I roll two die and both of them are six, while my opponent got the same? Ah okay, then both my and his men that rolled the same die will kill each other. Makes sense, right?

Nope. My opponent gets to kill me. Talk about preferential treatment. (same goes for any other number I roll and he gets the same; I just used an example that infuriated me the most) I've also ran into problems such as myself rolling a die with, let's say a 2 or a 3, and then my opponent rolling a 4 or a 5. It's like intentionally trying to piss me off. This was ALL happening on the second campaign when you're the Meow dude.

I wouldn't be bitching if it hasn't happened nearly three-dozen times -- I counted -- in the 4 attempts at trying to complete the second campaign. I sincerely hope there's a patch fixing issues like that or a difficulty setting. I've never liked virtual dice rolling or virtual card drawing; there's too much room for glitchy, buggy, or unlucky turnouts.

I had SO much fun with the demo and first level. I guess it's one of those games that puts on a pretty face for the public demo and then when you buy it, it shits in your face. Oh, and here's a disclaimer for the folks that say "Risk the board game is the same": I haven't had this amount of misfortune EVER when playing the board game. So please, if you came to this topic JUST to say what I pointed out, troll somewhere else.

In conclusion. I really like this game (lol) and the effort that went into making funny characters and original art for a board game to video game translation(?) is something to be commended for. But damn it! Talk about one of the most unfair, frustrating games I've ever played.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By sixghost

The person who is defending wins in the case of a tie. Also, stop being fucking paranoid, the game isn't rigging the dice rolls for the computer.

rivaldi22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rivaldi22

First, learn statistics. Play the game 20 more times then check your stats. The dice aren't rigged.

Second, learn game theory. If attackers won ties, the game would be broken as all fuck.

As a fairly regular D&D player, I can, and will, tell you: There Will Be Bad Rolls.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @sixghost: An hour and a half of trying, trying, and trying again, I BEG to differ.
    RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @rivaldi22 said:

" First, learn statistics. Play the game 20 more times then check your stats. The dice aren't rigged.  Second, learn game theory. If attackers won ties, the game would be broken as all fuck.  As a fairly regular D&D player, I can, and will, tell you: There Will Be Bad Rolls. "

First, I don't even think I want to play this game anymore. LOL. I would think of myself as really impatient, but the amount of time I gave this game with a different strategy each try, I think I broke my former mold of being an impatient bastard after playing this damn game.

Second, I'd love to know how it'd be "broken as all fuck" as you so nicely put it. The amount of times I was being screwed over (remember, when I put "nearly 3 dozen times" regarding the unfair dice rolls, I WAS NOT EXAGGERATING.) 

And yes, I went into Risk: Factions with the mindset of a cynic. I fully expected to get screwed over; it's a luck based game. But not at the ridiculously monumental screw-overs I was subjected to. I don't remember the last time a game made me want to BREAK SOMETHING GRRRRR
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shirogane

It's dice rolls, this stuff happens all the time, even in real life. At least to me it does. 

Also, are you sure you're not just using some horrible strategy?
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pinworm45

lol, someone complaining about losing attacker-ties in risk.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By BionicMonster

for a while i thought there was something fishy with the dice too( for instance i can only remember rolling a 3 maybe < 10 times in the entire campaign) but then i realized its probly because i remember the most infuriating dice rolls more than the mundane ones.
    Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Sanryd
    @RoyCampbell: It's not "preferential treatment". It's how Risk is played, and always has been played. Also, is it not the same way when you're the defender? Maybe you've never watched the rolls happen when you are the defender, but you would get the same "treatment" as the AI does when defending; same number on the dice --> you kill one of his dudes.
    L4Dplaya19103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By L4Dplaya19103

The defenders winning the tie is most  likely because you can't penalize the people who are defending, it wasn't there choice to be attacked , they were just there. It has to be the attackers, that's the downfall of actually attacking, they have a better chance than you.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Seriously?  What were you expecting when you started to play Risk?  This game has been around for decades with the same rule sets and general strategies.  The dice rolls aren't "broken," you've just run into a series of shitty rolls.  Attackers lose to defenders on tied rolls, or otherwise, attackers would roll over the entire map in a matter of minutes after building up a sizable force and the game would be over.  Risk is a game about forethought, planning, and a whole lot of luck.  If you didn't take the time to research that pretty widely known fact before you purchased the game, it's your own fault.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ryanwho

I assure you if you were playing the actual board game you'd probably think your own hands were plotting against you. That's how random dicerolls work. That's why dice are so prevalent in gambling games.

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By SpawnMan

Those are the rules my friend. Chill.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think there's a lot to be learned here about player's deception of dice rolls and the role of balancing in games.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Andorski

Beat the whole campaign, first try each time.  Even messed with the AI opponents.  I had one of my levels finish by invading the last territory with a +40 army against his 2.

So yeah, as Billy Mitchell once said, "If there is such a thing as karma, someone is getting the screws put to him."

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By HairyMike87

I usually lose irl to my asian friend in dice rolls 80% of the time. It happens.

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Korne

Have you ever played Risk? Tie goes to the defender. Even with this rule, a 3 vs. 2 attack gives advantage to the attacker. 

And don't complain about random dice rolls... that is how the game is played. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Green_Incarnate

The code isn't buggy. They're using complicated math algorithms to produce pseudo random bits of data for the dice rolls. 

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rehehelly
    @Korne said:

" Have you ever played Risk?

Let me quote him. 

@RoyCampbell said:

" @sixghost: An hour and a half of trying, trying, and trying again, I BEG to differ. "

First, I don't even think I want to play this game anymore. LOL. I would think of myself as really impatient, but the amount of time I gave this game with a different strategy each try, I think I broke my former mold of being an impatient bastard after playing this damn game. 

I think it's safe to say, he's never played Risk. Considering those games go on for eternity. Well they do if you hole up in Australia ;)
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Green_Incarnate

And one more thing. There exists a permutation in which the computer rolls sixes for all die for the rest of your entire life. Removing that possibility from the set of events that could occur is not true probability. The short story is that shit can and will happen.

gateht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gateht

Ha, the game stats say I get mostly 6s, maybe you could benefit from some of my luck?

Snotty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Snotty

Ive got 22:26 hours played and heres my dice roll stats from 1-6 : 1040,1011,1015,1038,1007,1053. 

I get mostly 6's too. care for a game Roy?

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By themangalist

That's why i hate games where the computer calculates a RANDOM number without any external factors counted in. This makes you feel like the computer is somehow helping your AI component. The "bias" really pisses me off in these games. At least I feel like i'm treated unfairly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.