Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 14, 2008

Harmonix, MTV Games, and EA return with the sequel to Rock Band. Rock Band 2 ships with 84 on-disc songs, 20 free downloadable songs, compatibility with all DLC, and the ability to import most songs from the first Rock Band.

Characters from Rock Band1 in 2?

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By faustyn

Anyone knows anything about maybe transferring your characters from Rock Band1 to Rock Band2? I really like my current guitarist and i don't want to lose her...so?
    Probably i'll have to make a new avatar but i still have hope!
    cheers

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By A Likely Story

I wouldn't count on it. It's not that big of a deal, assuming they will keep all of the customization options from RB 1 on RB 2, allowing you to fully recreate your character.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By turboman

I'm sure you can... if you can take all the songs from RB1, I'm sure it's not a big hassle to export your character

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By A Likely Story

Well Harmonix might have figured that since you can remake a character, then why bother? Plus, if RB 2 doesn't contain all of the clothing and styling options from RB 1 there will be compatibility issues. And on another point, if you can't transfer your character then I that might confirm that RB 1 scoreboards won't be combined with RB 2, though I'm not sure about that.

Plus this seems like the kind of thing they would have announced already, seeing as they already announced a bunch of other things dealing with the characters.

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By faustyn
    Hobbies said:
    "Well Harmonix might have figured that since you can remake a character, then why bother? Plus, if RB 2 doesn't contain all of the clothing and styling options from RB 1 there will be compatibility issues. And on another point, if you can't transfer your character then I that might confirm that RB 1 scoreboards won't be combined with RB 2, though I'm not sure about that.

Plus this seems like the kind of thing they would have announced already, seeing as they already announced a bunch of other things dealing with the characters.
    "
    yeah probably. well...like i said. i still have hope ;d
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By A Likely Story

That probably all depends on if your scores will carry over to RB 2, which I sure as hell hope they do.

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By sdodd02

I doubt it.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mourne
    Hobbies said:
    "That probably all depends on if your scores will carry over to RB 2, which I sure as hell hope they do."
     I was just about to bring that up. I'm kind of hoping they don't forget about this, but it won't be such a big deal in the end (only care for a few DLC scores I like to keep track of).

As for the characters, it's OK either way, really. Since your characters can now play all instruments, there may be issues there.

The biggest problem with this would be the fact that Rock Band 1 will still need its character data. The new costumes and such from Rock Band 2 will overwrite the original ones, so it wouldn't make much sense to let the game be able to take those characters and write back and forth like that. There are obvious workarounds, sure, but... I'm not convinced it's worth their effort in the end.
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By A Likely Story

I don't really completely care about my scores, but it's fun to see how I compare, and I'd rather not have to go back and try and get my high scores back.

Like you said, Mourne, there are definitely ways for Harmonix to get character conversion in RB 2, but I think it's safe to say the compatibility issues with the clothing is what will stop them. I highly doubt they'll bring everything back from RB 1...might not even bring any of it back, for all we know. And if they answer the reqeust to have hats and hair separated from each other, then it's a definine no. ;)

hiimmikecruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By hiimmikecruz

I spent a lot of time on my stupid tattoos. It will suck to recreate them.

austinj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By austinj

I always wanted some DLC with more customization options. I'm anxious to see what new stuff they will give us in September.

Blueblur1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Blueblur1

Quick question for you guys. I only have experience with Guitar Hero. Are the custom characters the only characters in Rockband? Are there any characters that are specific to a set list or something? I ask because GH always uses the same drummer, bassist and singers.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By twenty0ne

That would be cool if you could, but I doubt it.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By A Likely Story
    Blueblur1 said:
    "Quick question for you guys. I only have experience with Guitar Hero. Are the custom characters the only characters in Rockband? Are there any characters that are specific to a set list or something? I ask because GH always uses the same drummer, bassist and singers.
    "
    The game comes with a good deal of random characters that all look differently, and no matter what mode you play on they will always fill in the empty band spots if there are any. However, they don't randomly change after every song/gig; you'll have the same ones unless you restart the game or maybe change modes, and the ones that are chosen are completely random regardless of what mode, set, etc you choose.

And I have read on the official Rock Band forums that it's official that RB 1 characters will not be able to be transferred to RB 2.
    sponge3164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sponge3164
    Blueblur1 said:
    "Quick question for you guys. I only have experience with Guitar Hero. Are the custom characters the only characters in Rockband? Are there any characters that are specific to a set list or something? I ask because GH always uses the same drummer, bassist and singers.
    "
    In RB2 you can choose your bandmates though
    Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Homer

I hope not.

fryedrycestyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fryedrycestyle
    Homer said:
    "I hope not."
    ... What does that mean?

>.<

Anyways I don't really care, I have fun creating new characters and would like to mess around and see what new options they would have. But I do hope band profiles carry over, could care less about scores though...

I think the Rock Band forums needs to do another Q&A session with the Harmonix staff to find out.
    nymets819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By nymets819

meh...idk...as long as my song scores transfer over great...if not well then i will be pissed. my character is nothing special that can't be fixed in a few minutes.

fryedrycestyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fryedrycestyle

I come with bad news my friends!

From IGN:

"Sign one person in and everyone can play. Characters aren't tied to instruments either. This may explain why your band can't be moved from RB1 to RB2. Oh, and I should mention that World Tour works with one player as well, so solo bass players of the world, rejoice!"

=(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.