Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 14, 2008

Harmonix, MTV Games, and EA return with the sequel to Rock Band. Rock Band 2 ships with 84 on-disc songs, 20 free downloadable songs, compatibility with all DLC, and the ability to import most songs from the first Rock Band.

Could someone give a comparison between the GH and RB Guitars?

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

I plan to start saving my money for Rock Band 2. Although I don't plan to buy the entire full band package at once, but just gradually work my way up to the different instruments, so I'd start by buying the game and a guitar controller.

But the question I have is which guitar controller is more preferred. The Guitar Hero World Tour guitar or Rock Band 2's? I know that the latter's was improved from the last guitar in Rock Band 1, but I still wanna know how it works in comparison to Guitar Hero's.

I only need a quick comparison between the guitars, so it could help me in getting the right ones for when I (eventually) get the game. Much appreciated.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#2  Edited By TobyD81

I prefer the RB guitars. I think the strum bar feels better, and stands up to more vigorous strumming without doing "bounce strums." I also like the frets flush with the body, makes it easier to slide on the neck. You should drop by a store that has both and try them out to see what works better for your playing style.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I prefer the Guitar Hero guitar. Something about the clicks and clacks that make it easier to play for me. Plus I think they look better. I do prefer the Rock Band drums, though...

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Megalon

I also prefer the RB2 guitar: it's got a good strummer and feels great. Plus, it auto-calibrates for lag. The GHWT guitar is fine, but I've had a few problems with mine (mainly the strummer squeaks and sometimes doesn't pop back into place all the time). I do like the weight of the GHWT guitar better, but overall in terms of playability I dig the RB2 one more.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArcBorealis

So, the strum bar feels better when playing, as well as the buttons. Regarding the buttons used for solos, are they more reliable than GH's finger pad, or does it come down to how one's hand manages it, because I've heard cases of the finger pad on the Guitar Hero controller working for some, and not for others.

ADDTasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ADDTasty

For me, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. The Guitar Hero strum bars are nice because they're very accurate - they've got that click so you always hit the notes when you want to. The rock band strum bar doesn't have a click or anything, and it almost feels a little squishy. A lot of times, it's hard to tell if you didn't strum hard enough for the guitar to register, or if the actual strum bar is starting to go out (a problem that plagues rock band guitars, by the way). It's a little more comfortable but less accurate than the guitar hero strum.

As far as the fret buttons, the rock band ones are nicer, IMO. You don't have to press on them as hard as on the guitar hero ones, and they're all placed right next to each other, with no gaps in between, which makes sliding your fingers up and down the frets pretty easy.

Also, I don't know about the size of the GH: World Tour guitars, but all of the previous GH guitars are significantly smaller than Rock Band Guitars. I think RB guitars are 3/4 actual size, while GT guitars are 1/2? Someone correct me if that's wrong.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArcBorealis

Alright, I went by a Gamestop earlier today to check the guitar controllers. They didn't have any standalone Rock Band 2 controllers, but they had the GH World Tour guitar hooked up to a kiosk that wasn't on, but I still took a look at the guitar to see how it felt. I'm impressed with the placement of the buttons on the guitar's body. A star power activator without having to tilt up the guitar is neat, and the menu button attached to a directional knob looked like a smart choice too, seeing as how it was easy to accidentaly hit the wrong button (I've tried older Guitar Hero controller's before, and I had that same problem one time while playing at a friend's house). And again since the kiosk wasn't on, I couldn't try out the finger touch pad, which I'm still the most curious about, whether it really works or not.

I'm gonna see if I can ask the people there if they could let me test out the guitars on one of the games next time I go. At this point, I like the feel of the World Tour guitar, and the Rock Band 2 guitar is basically the same build as its predecessor, minus the mushy strum bar. By then, I'll probably have made a more firm decision.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By A Likely Story
    Alaska_Gamer said:
    Alright, I went by a Gamestop earlier today to check the guitar controllers. They didn't have any standalone Rock Band ... [more]
    I honestly didn't think the difference between the RB 1 and 2 strum bars was that big...both guitars feel very similar to me; the strum bar just feels slightly tweaked on the RB 2 guitar to me.
    poonoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By poonoo

When it comes to fret buttons, I think Rock Band is far superior. Because the buttons are so close together, unlike the GH ones which have a gap, hitting HOPOs is much better. But when it comes to strumming, especially very fast, the GH ones are better. I also find it better to keep your timing with the clicking noise as well since I can match the clicking with the sound from the song on fast strumming parts.  I personally feel GH's controller is better overall though, but if your not playing really hard songs on expert then it really ends up being about which one feels better in your hands, as the pros and cons aren't that noticable if your not being challenged.

Blueprint12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Blueprint12

Guitar Hero guitars are much better IMO.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Player1

For me, the strum bar on the Guitar Hero guitar is SO much better that I can't even stand to use a RB one. 

The RB one looks nicer, feels nicer, and the buttons are nicer, but I just can't get used to the strum bar.

And because of that...I have to recommend the GH guitar to you. But really, you can't go wrong. 
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By skrutop

I had a RB1 guitar, and it was a total piece of crap.  I haven't replaced it with a RB2 one yet, so I'm still using my GH3 Les Paul.  Despite beating it up pretty bad over the last couple of years, the Les Paul still works great.  So if you're looking to save some money, you can get a Les Paul pretty cheap anymore.

Once I can find a RB2 guitar for a good price, I'll probably pick one up.  Whenever I go play at a friends' house, they usually have the RB guitar and I play like crap because I'm not used to it.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jinxman
    easy choice

guitar hero guitars hurt you fingers, make you push harder, basically suck balls

rock band guitars are nice and awesome
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman

Buying a Rock Band guitar will feed Alex Navarro for another day. Do you want him to starve?  :P

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60

I prefer the GH controller, the RB controller just doesn't feel good in my hands. The frets absolutely suck.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    @jinxman said:
    " easy choice

guitar hero guitars hurt you fingers, make you push harder, basically suck balls

"
    Your opinion is wrong.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @DirrtyNinja said:
    "
    @jinxman said:
    " easy choice

"
    Your opinion is wrong. "
    You're just as wrong as he is for calling his opinion wrong. I assume you like the GH guitar? You could just have listed why you like the GH guitar ya know. That would have been more useful. I personally think they both have strengths and weakness and it comes down to if you are playing for score or just for fun.

Does anyone wanna donate to my boomshot fund?
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NinjaHunter

I prefer the RB2 guitar. The fret buttons are more sensitive than the GH guitar so you don't have to push down as hard and there isn't that gap between the frets. The strum bar on the RB guitar doesn't bother me at all because I've learned not to rely on the click sound, although I do prefer it over the GH strum because it's easier for me to grab. As for the solo buttons and finger pad, they are both useless as I just use the regular buttons.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

If you haven't played a lot of Guitar Hero and aren't used to the clicky strum bar, I say get the Rock Band 2 one. The frets are nicer and the strum bar is fine if you can cope without the clickiness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.