Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 14, 2008

Harmonix, MTV Games, and EA return with the sequel to Rock Band. Rock Band 2 ships with 84 on-disc songs, 20 free downloadable songs, compatibility with all DLC, and the ability to import most songs from the first Rock Band.

What's a Better Drumset?

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By gearhead

Since Beatles Rock Band is coming out, I've decided to finally get the full set of instruments, but which drumset should I get? I'm considering either the Guitar Hero World Tour one, or the Rock Band 2 drums. Recommendations?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

your best bet is either the $300 Ion drum  kit that works as a stand alone electric drumset also. Or get the rock band 2 drum kit and buy the 3 cymbal pack and the second bass pedal. It should run about $150.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By A Likely Story

I suggest the Rock Band 2 drums with the cymbal expansions, like he said. ^

I really don't like the Guitar Hero kit for a few reasons, but you might think differently about them. Look around your local Best Buys and such and see if they have the Rock Band and Guitar Hero kits set up on demos, because it's really just a matter of preference.

The Ion, however, is a waste if you only plan on using the set for the game. 

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By dipstick
    @Hobbies said:
    " I suggest the Rock Band 2 drums with the cymbal expansions, like he said. ^   I really don't like the Guitar Hero kit for a few reasons, but you might think differently about them. Look around your local Best Buys and such and see if they have the Rock Band and Guitar Hero kits set up on demos, because it's really just a matter of preference.  The Ion, however, is a waste if you only plan on using the set for the game.  "
    Why is it a waste? I enjoy mine,its so worth it not to miss stupid notes due to low sensitivity drum pads
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Ion is clearly the best choice, but it is expensive 
    If you don't want to pay for that or cymbal expensions I think the GH ones are the best, they just feel better for me, but I suggest trying all of them out

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

Ion.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By A Likely Story
    @Dipstick said:
    "Why is it a waste? I enjoy mine,its so worth it not to miss stupid notes due to low sensitivity drum pads "
    My Rock Band 2 drum kit never, ever drops notes, even with the little drum silencer pads attached. $300 for a video game drum kit is way too much.
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dipstick
    @Hobbies said:
    " @Dipstick said:
    "Why is it a waste? I enjoy mine,its so worth it not to miss stupid notes due to low sensitivity drum pads "
    My Rock Band 2 drum kit never, ever drops notes, even with the little drum silencer pads attached. $300 for a video game drum kit is way too much. "
    Eh,different strokes for different folks.

The rebound on the kits is also an issue I have with the rockband sets

You're pretty lucky with your set,ALL the rb1 and rb2 sets I've ever played on have drop notes here and there
    drok17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By drok17

Depends how often to you play really. The average player would be happy with the rock band 2 kit and if you want to upgrade the option is always there.

For more serious players who want more than just a Rock Band kit the Ion kit is totally the way to go

As for me I've gone thru maybe 3 RB1 drum sets and 1 RB2 set. Owned several different pedals, all breaking after a couple months of play. Then again I play real drums and I consider this my practice kit b4 I head into the studio

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By A Likely Story
    @Dipstick said:
    " @Hobbies said:
    " @Dipstick said:
    My Rock Band 2 drum kit never, ever drops notes, even with the little drum silencer pads attached. $300 for a video game drum kit is way too much. "
    Eh,different strokes for different folks.  The rebound on the kits is also an issue I have with the rockband sets  You're pretty lucky with your set,ALL the rb1 and rb2 sets I've ever played on have drop notes here and there "
    My Rock Band 1 set did do that after a few months, and eventually the red pad completely cracked, but I've had absolutely no complaints about the RB 2 kit. I guess I did get a little lucky since I have heard a handful of bad stories about even the RB 2 kit, though.

Still, I would only suggest the Ion for someone who is serious about drumming and would want to use it as an actual electronic kit aside from playing Rock Band with it.
    Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Timma1083
    @Hobbies said:
    " @Dipstick said:
    " @Hobbies said:
    " @Dipstick said:
    Eh,different strokes for different folks.  The rebound on the kits is also an issue I have with the rockband sets  You're pretty lucky with your set,ALL the rb1 and rb2 sets I've ever played on have drop notes here and there "
    My Rock Band 1 set did do that after a few months, and eventually the red pad completely cracked, but I've had absolutely no complaints about the RB 2 kit. I guess I did get a little lucky since I have heard a handful of bad stories about even the RB 2 kit, though.
    I wish I had your luck. I've had 1 Rock Band kit crap out on me, one RB2 kit crap out on me, and I've even had a RB2 kit with Goodwoods miss notes and overhit. At this point I've just given up on stock kits and I'm saving up for Ions, because this is just stupid.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

Hands down the Rock Band 2 drum set. I bought the GH:WT set and not only was it slightly broken, it was annoying to use and I didn't like its layout. If you prefer Rock Band over Guitar Hero definitely get the RB2 set. Or Ion of course.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus

I don't own drums yet, and I'm planning to get the ones that come with the Beatles set. I still need a 2nd guitar though, so if you don't, that may not be an option...

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By A Likely Story
    @Timma1083 said:
    " @Hobbies said:
    " @Dipstick said:
    " @Hobbies said:
    " @Dipstick said:
    I wish I had your luck. I've had 1 Rock Band kit crap out on me, one RB2 kit crap out on me, and I've even had a RB2 kit with Goodwoods miss notes and overhit. At this point I've just given up on stock kits and I'm saving up for Ions, because this is just stupid. "
    Wow, that's pretty terrible. Though I can only say I've had that luck with the drums. My original Rock Band guitar only registered upstrums (and even then not all the time), then I got a new one and the whammy bar broke on the inside, so it doesn't stay up. My two mics have also gone out, so I bought a Logitech USB mic and two Lips mics...though that damn compatibility patch has yet to be released.
    destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By destruktive
    @Timma1083 said:
    " @Hobbies said:
    " @Dipstick said:
    " @Hobbies said:
    " @Dipstick said:
    I wish I had your luck. I've had 1 Rock Band kit crap out on me, one RB2 kit crap out on me, and I've even had a RB2 kit with Goodwoods miss notes and overhit. At this point I've just given up on stock kits and I'm saving up for Ions, because this is just stupid. "
    damnit, why did you have to say anything about goodwoods. now I'm kinda thinking about not getting them.
    I was planning to get them since I've never heard a bad word about them :|
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman

My friend bought the Ion drums, 2 different "rock pedals" or whatever those expensive pedals are called, a ton of expensive drumsticks, and he SUCKS at drums. Yeah, he's pretty much a douche. 

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By A Likely Story
    @destruktive: The fault probably lied with the drum kit itself, not the Goodwood mods.

@JJWeatherman: LOL. That's why I think the Ion is a waste for most people.
    Blueprint12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Blueprint12

I wouldn't mind buying the Ion drumset but like Hobbies said, they're way too expensive and I think I can spend $300 on getting a PS3 or something else more valuable.

My rock band 2 drumset misses notes though but I guess I can play fairly good, I'm mixed between hard and expert anyways...my foot pedal broke so I can't even play drums anymore (well except no fail mode but it don't feel the same without the kick).  *cries* 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.